• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter recommendation for fluval nano

Matt Warner

Hi all, I'm looking at upgrading my filter on my 30l fluval flora shrimp tank. The standard filter isn't putting out enough flow for my liking so I'm looking for a more powerful internal or hang on filter to increase flow. I don't want anything too bulky inside the tank which is why a hang on filter could be an option. Anybody got any recommendations on a suitable filter?
Cheers

I haven't really got the room for one mate. What are hob filters like in terms of flow?

There pretty average, I have bought them whilst I save for externals, they do the job, slightly noisy when water levels drop though. But for 10 quid a pop I'm not crying

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I really rate HOB's great for growing ferns and other plants out the top of, easy to maintain and nice uniform flow.

Paid £10 for my 600lph from ebay UK seller, and that's in my fluval nano.

Want a link?

Thanks for all the opinions guys. I ordered a hang on filter from all pond solutions in the end so hopefully should give me better flow. For £10.99 I don't mind too much if it isn't up to the job.

Wish is looked on there before ordering mine tbh may upgrade now haha

I'm not sure it's an upgrade to be honest, as I said previously it's good for what it is and does the job, but will never stand up to an external. I have better internal filters but their too intrusive so never use them. So as a temporary filter until I sort out something else their fine :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Hi all,
I'm not sure it's an upgrade to be honest, as I said previously it's good for what it is and does the job, but will never stand up to an external.
That isn't necessarily true, although a canister filter may have a much larger media holding capacity, the biological filtration capacity of the filter is often much more to do with the water flow through the filter and the degree to which the filter media is fully oxygenated.

When-ever discussion of the merits of various canister filters comes up, I just think of Clive's immortal description of any canister filter as "a pump in a bucket".

The advantage of HOB's is that they have a thin film of flowing water, which means that they have a large active gas exchange surface, and this also means that they have a large biological filtration capacity. I don't own an APS HOB, but I would do the same with that as any other HOB filter, throw away the chemical media, have a sponge on the intake in the tank and fill the body up with ceramic rings.

cheers Darrel

I Love HOB's and anything believe 40Litres I think I'd stick with them, so easy to maintain and hidden out the way. Good uniform flow similar to spray bar and there pretty cheap.

Tbh I'm defo going to be swapping my cheap ebay 600lph for the APS 600lph not much more than mine but from the video you can tell its flow is closer the the figure given.

MEGA cheap, I'm gonna sell as the one from APS has 2 separate outlets and I'm doing a high tech tank so gonna geek out a little n get that one.

Back