• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

6+ dead shrimp at once....

thanks for all your responses guys, some very interesting points for me to assess and look at. Im not going down the external heater route as I simply cannot afford it. I believe my temps are atable enough, I dont think they drop dramatically but I may drop 3 cheap 25w heaters in just for the winter to be safe. I cant raise my light but if you read my journal I have taken 2 bulbs out so Im running just one 24w t5. so light doesn't seem to be an issue. I agree i should give the fertz a break. My riccia is not melting but I never realised it could? I have had riccia for almost a year and have been pouring the stuff in as I can get 250ml bottles of flourish excel for about 5 quid ;) obviously I have been to hasty, so lesson learnt...

All I can do now is thank you guys and see what happens. after all thy are cherries so im pleased I didn't order tigers and CBS all at once, at least i was wise in that department! I agree that having a nano immediately makes things a lot more fragile so although others think it may not be the excel im willing to agree that it is. Only on the basis I have the tank here and I can see changes etc. I have had a 110l tank and done the same, no issues. so it must be down to the size of the tanks. Im planning on moving the tanks to my office to allow me to get some shelving units for me to hang my lighting on, then I can put back the nice white bulbs and make it a little more pleasing on the eye. ;)

Just my two cents so to speak I've wiped out a couple of hundred quids worth of high grade crs with liquid carbon before I discovered this forum took me a long time to realise it couldn't have been anything else far too easy to overdose in small tanks jack if u dose the excel via the manufacturers recommended dose I personally don't think you'll go far wrong but personally I have had more success keeping shrimp with gas co2 rather than liquid products whichever path you choose good luck mate

Using Danios to cycle a tank that is to be stocked with shrimp is, I think, a risky proposition. They are very hardy fish. Shrimp aren't.

No checks at all on ammonia or nitrite?

Thanks for your comment :) although Cherry shrimp like Danios are usually very Hardy indeed. Also with fauna they are not affected by quantities of NPK or LC. Unless hugely hugely dosed. Cycling the tank IMO is a different factor to the over dosing I have been doing toward the shrimp. I chose cherries to start as these are very very durable. Some say bomb proof. But not jack proof ;) as for ammonia and nitrites, my levels seem fine. The effects on the shrimp are ones not like ammonia or nitrite poisoning, and my fish are also fine. I wouldn't waste money on test kits personally as I have never needed one and believe they give the wrong readings, leading onto all sorts of unrelated issues. But this is for another post lol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Must be something in the air - I've lost 7 yellow fires in this last week! I've had the colony for 4 years without any issues too. What's really weird is the same tank houses over 200 crystals and they've all been fine. I suspect it's because their immune systems perhaps a little low as I try to keep the tank suitable for crystals without thinking too much about the yellows. Strange though!

ahh basil! sorry to hear mate! maybe its the dead shrimp season.. im not going to bother with getting more till after the new year now, going to focus on my filtration and quit using LC. back to basics until Im sure this time ;)

I dont think NPK can effect shrimp can it? I thought it was just down to liquid carbon? I may be rong Nath but I think I remember having a talk with bigtom about dosing NPK and whether it effected critters in the tank, he came to the conclusion it didn't... but then again this was toward fish, I dont know about shrimp.. I assumed LC was ok but I was wrong there also.

jack-rythm said:
I dont think NPK can effect shrimp can it? I thought it was just down to liquid carbon? I may be rong Nath but I think I remember having a talk with bigtom about dosing NPK and whether it effected critters in the tank, he came to the conclusion it didn't... but then again this was toward fish, I dont know about shrimp.. I assumed LC was ok but I was wrong there also.

Don't think that was me Jack, I barely dose anything in my tanks so wouldn't like to comment.

You can get a pouch for your filter thet removes copper, just for future reference. I think Seachem do them but sure you can google it.

Sorry I should have said the pesticides contain copper and I'm not sure the carbon pads remove it. I use mine every time I introduce new plants or moss.

Hi all, first post so go easy on me! I added a few plants on Saturday morning that my sister had given to me (came in from far east). these had been soaked for over a week and then added to my tank. within an 1-2hours all of my RCS were dead or dying, pink, on side with a inverted curvature of their back, some still kicked for a short while, put them in an aerated 2nd tank with fresh treated water i was using to spur on some Riccia.

My opinion is that some nasty lingering pesticides were used on the plants and caused the mass die off on my RCS.I have carried out a 30% wc every 2days since, turned up the heat a bit, added carbon to external canister and increased the light. reading from an earlier thread this can help speed up the breakdown of some of the chemicals. Is there an easy way to know when the coast is clear to add shrimp again? about half were all saddled and hoped they would breed, but the die off obviously put pay to that.

Any advice?

Ryan

Back