• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

HC Propergator Journal into DSM

It is scary how easy HC is to grow emersed isn't it? :)

Looking good mate.

I'd be wary of adding too many mosses, if it was me, I think I would just add one as a background and stop there.

Cheers mikey, it is a good way to go things going, I always seem to get left with buts floating around the tank due to high flow so by doing this its all rooted and ready to go,

Thanks matt, it is isn't it. I've seen some people grow just as fast if not faster hc immersed, such as viktor but he's an exception due to his skill haha.

I do want to keep the mosses to a minimal, but there are 1 or 2 spots at the base of the big rock screaming to have the tiniest piece of moss attached and kept nice and trimmed. When I fill it ill attach some to minuscule pieces of rock and see what it looks like.

Cheers mate :) shame I NUKED it in the mega hot sun a year back :(

I propped the lid a little with a little round stone an when I came back found the stone had popped out and lid had closed whole thing was baked.

nayr88 said:
in the mega hot sun a year back

ah ah. Is that possible in the UK? :D

Just kidding... I know what you mean. My emersed plants are in the yard the whole year around but when the summer is starting I need to move the trays onto a shady area of the yards. Otherwise it's all toasted :shifty:

cheers

GM

gmartins said:
nayr88 said:
in the mega hot sun a year back

ah ah. Is that possible in the UK? :D

Just kidding... I know what you mean. My emersed plants are in the yard the whole year around but when the summer is starting I need to move the trays onto a shady area of the yards. Otherwise it's all toasted :shifty:

cheers

GM

Haha yeh it was a really got Sumer when I was running this DSM and I got back to a pile of brown mush :(
Was a shame as looked really promising.

I do this with hairgrass and it works great, no need for the top of the proporgator though :)
I've just started a proporgator for crypts aswell. I need to try some HC as well soon.

Yeah hairgrass is quite strong actually. I can grow it on plant vases - no cover. I still move these onto the shade during summer cause noon sun can really burn.

I am successufully growing:
Eleocharis parvula,
Hemianthus micranthemoides (such tiny cute leaves in the emersed form)
Hemianthus callitrochoides
Hydrocotyle tripartita (or japan) - this is a weed.
Staurogyne repens (grows slowly)

And I am transitioning:
Echinodorus tenellus
Rotala rotundifolia

By the way, snails will eat HM, Stauro and Hydrocotyle. So whatch for your plants. I nearly lost everything some time ago.

cheers

GM

Yeh I done a small jar with hairgrass and was OK but I let it dry out too far and it got abandoned :(

HC is a weed when grown dsm as soon as it gets hold it's off!! The leaves look great too, I had a little trouble with yellowing leaves at 1st but got past I and if I hadn't burnt it all I think I could f had a great little iwagumi.

gmartins said:
Yeah hairgrass is quite strong actually. I can grow it on plant vases - no cover. I still move these onto the shade during summer cause noon sun can really burn.

I am successufully growing:
Eleocharis parvula,
Hemianthus micranthemoides (such tiny cute leaves in the emersed form)
Hemianthus callitrochoides
Hydrocotyle tripartita (or japan) - this is a weed.
Staurogyne repens (grows slowly)

And I am transitioning:
Echinodorus tenellus
Rotala rotundifolia

By the way, snails will eat HM, Stauro and Hydrocotyle. So whatch for your plants. I nearly lost everything some time ago.

cheers

GM

You really should post some pictures up of your setups, emersed is just as addicting as submersed, well even more for me.

Not really a big deal. Plastic trays with potting soil put outside in the yard. I will take a picture so you can see it yourself :)

GM

It is scary how easy HC is to grow emersed isn't it? :)

Looking good mate.

I'd be wary of adding too many mosses, if it was me, I think I would just add one as a background and stop there.

Sure is easy, I have no cover on my wabi bowl and I'm loving the outcome, just one spray before a leave the house, I'm getting more and more into my emmersed state look. My Cuba has gone wild, I'm even successfully growing p.helferi emmersed, when it first came out my tank it was All yellow but now it's regaining it's humming vibrant green, my tripartita is loving life outside of the tank. I'm finding everything growing so much more intricately and more colourfully. Got any photo updates? Are u finding plants take on a more metallic look? Shiny leaves etc. ?

Also I'm personally not spraying with Fertz added to my bottle as I'm worried I will get burns on the leaves. I feel misting with water is more than adequate.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Anyone wan't to swap some emmersed HC, I need to try this lol. I just found aphids in my emersed tanks, I fully planted a 160l tank with only some of the cuttings, I would advise anyone with emersed setups to have some pestisides or whatever you choose to use close to hand :(

Anyone wan't to swap some emmersed HC, I need to try this lol. I just found aphids in my emersed tanks, I fully planted a 160l tank with only some of the cuttings, I would advise anyone with emersed setups to have some pestisides or whatever you choose to use close to hand :(
Do pesticides have a negative effect on shrimps if the treated plants ever get submersed again?.....in a tank with shrimps of course.....

Do pesticides have a negative effect on shrimps if the treated plants ever get submersed again?.....in a tank with shrimps of course.....

I would think so, thats why i'm going for submersing the plants in a mild soap solution or just converting them to submersed. The pestisides should get washed out/ diltuted eventually but I'm not sure. The pestisides would be for my Drosera and Anubias which I have no intention of submersing.

Just some picks of my messy non-fancy emersed set ups.

emersed1.jpg

emeresed2.jpg

Back