• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

R.O Filtration

My reply was to the post suggesting that you use the waste water for other purposes.

700l is how much waste water you would need to find a use for each week. You'd either need to store it or use it as it was generated, which is a big ask if you're going to "save" water by using RO.

krazypara3165 said:
I think what he was trying to say is.that if I have a 300l tank and im doing 50% change a week (the case is actually 3 x 50%) I would need an awful lot of storage to save the waste water.

Ahh, thats an interesting angle. You do 3 x 50% a week ? Thats just while the tank is new though right ?

krazypara3165 said:
Initially yes, but I will be getting juvinile discus (around ten) so Im debating keeping it up for good practice or knocking it down to two a week...

Im pretty sure that 20% every day or every other day is better for that situation as it creates less fluctuation in temperature and parameters. Im looking forward to these discus though. Lovely fish.

Antipofish said:
krazypara3165 said:
Initially yes, but I will be getting juvinile discus (around ten) so Im debating keeping it up for good practice or knocking it down to two a week...

Im pretty sure that 20% every day or every other day is better for that situation as it creates less fluctuation in temperature and parameters. Im looking forward to these discus though. Lovely fish.

I have not crossed that out yet, however i would like to aerate and heat the water for 24 hours prior to it going in which means for a 20% change id need a 50l drum sat in my living room 24/7 whereas i'd rather bring a 100l drum in twice to three times a week before i go to bed and fill the tank in the morning with it.

However its all about the fish, so if it doesn't stress them out changing water everyday and i can find a way of doing it, i will.

I am also really looking forward to getting the fish! i feel i am jumping straight into the deep-end somewhat, by going head first into a 300l high tech planted discus tank, however with the knowledge on here and the advice i have received from Steve Punchard and his team at Punchard discus, i know it can be done! i was initially going to go for fully grown ones, but due to the cost, and as Steve recommended, i will now be going for 8-10 juveniles.

Have you looked into whether there is a conflict between O2 requirements of Discus vs the amount of CO2 you will need for a 300L High Tech planted tank ? (If there is a conflict at all... I don't know). I applaud you for jumping in though... BTW, if 50L is too much, would 25L every day work better ? You could look into plumbing into an auto top up system with a reservoir that sits under the tank. There is one on Ebay at the moment with a 99p reserve I believe.

Antipofish said:
Have you looked into whether there is a conflict between O2 requirements of Discus vs the amount of CO2 you will need for a 300L High Tech planted tank ? (If there is a conflict at all... I don't know). I applaud you for jumping in though... BTW, if 50L is too much, would 25L every day work better ? You could look into plumbing into an auto top up system with a reservoir that sits under the tank. There is one on Ebay at the moment with a 99p reserve I believe.

Ive looked into it a little, and I should be able to get away with it. Worse case scenario i'll drop an air line in during the evening. Im also hoping that during the day when the co2 is on that the plants will be able to provide the o2. I dont think I have the space to set up an auto top up but do you have the link?

krazypara3165 said:
Whitey89 said:
All the best of luck mate, you've definitely put the graft in. :thumbup:

Cheers, ive put in far more money than I had originally anticipated, but it will be worth it if I can pull it off!

Tell me about it. A year ago I was meant to be buying a 60L clearseal tank for £50 with a few cheap fish in it !

No link but search auto top up on ebay and you will find it.

BTW. I run 02 24/7 and it allows me to inject higher amounts of CO2. And thats not to replace what the o2 has displaced, it just means I have higher of both in the tank so enough for the fish to be happy AND the plants. Best of both worlds.

That might be worthwhile, Is that co2, or o2 that you run 24/7? and I originally started of with a second hand 4ft that split before I got to put fish in, had to buy a new tank and a new light system as the old light system (brand new, now sat doing nothing) no longer fitted, and then decided I wanted to go high tec. To top it off im now going.down the discus road......... I can only see me spending more in the future haha

krazypara3165 said:
That might be worthwhile, Is that co2, or o2 that you run 24/7? and I originally started of with a second hand 4ft that split before I got to put fish in, had to buy a new tank and a new light system as the old light system (brand new, now sat doing nothing) no longer fitted, and then decided I wanted to go high tec. To top it off im now going.down the discus road......... I can only see me spending more in the future haha

My CO2 comes on 3 hours before lights on. And stays on until an hour before lights out. The O2 is on 24/7. Not only does it increase the available O2 and allow me to increase the CO2 levels, but its constantly breaking the surface so I never get any surface scum (which itself locks the CO2 in and can cause further problems for the fish as well as looking manky). So you win all round :thumbup:

Antipofish said:
krazypara3165 said:

My CO2 comes on 3 hours before lights on. And stays on until an hour before lights out. The O2 is on 24/7. Not only does it increase the available O2 and allow me to increase the CO2 levels, but its constantly breaking the surface so I never get any surface scum (which itself locks the CO2 in and can cause further problems for the fish as well as looking manky). So you win all round :thumbup:

I do similar and it feels good to supersaturate with O2, the fish seem so energetic, etc. One thing I note that's slightly different is that I cannot add more CO2 without the fish displaying signs of hypoxia (gasping at the surface), even if I supersaturate O2. I've learnt that to complete respiration fish must diffuse CO2 from their gills and the rate of diffusion is strictly dependent on the CO2 concentration in the water (diffuses quicker the greater the difference in CO2 concentration between bloodstream and water going over the gills). So fish have loads of O2 available to respire, but the removal of CO2 from blood is independent and poses a separate concern.

NatureBoy said:
Antipofish said:
krazypara3165 said:

I do similar and it feels good to supersaturate with O2, the fish seem so energetic, etc. One thing I note that's slightly different is that I cannot add more CO2 without the fish displaying signs of hypoxia (gasping at the surface), even if I supersaturate O2. I've learnt that to complete respiration fish must diffuse CO2 from their gills and the rate of diffusion is strictly dependent on the CO2 concentration in the water (diffuses quicker the greater the difference in CO2 concentration between bloodstream and water going over the gills). So fish have loads of O2 available to respire, but the removal of CO2 from blood is independent and poses a separate concern.

Interesting concept. Do you have a link to where you referenced that ? Im basing my actions on what Tom Barr does with high O2 saturation and no ill effects to fish.

was initially based on observation, as couldn't figure why a fish would be at the surface when there was all this O2 around, thought they were being fussy at first but then read this...it's called the "Bohr-Root" effect.
Reducing the rate of CO2 injectioncaused the fish to return to normal behaviour.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=ca ... pwtCTKtfng

Sorry about the crap link, and may require google docs, but the reference is on page 28.

cheers

foxfish said:
Tom Bar uses trickle towers, I dont know if that if a different concept compared to an air stone in the tank?

He also says, on several of his posts, that he has high levels of O2 in his tanks which allow for increased levels of CO2. Trickle towers most definitely would help with O2 saturation levels.

Think theres an auto top up system in our for sale section...Katfish i think is selling it....havnt looked on the thread but sure i saw it.

Back