• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Reborn

Oh and another shot 1day before the others. Did not used flash for this

8211872876_9cb7a521a8_b.jpg

Lovely Viktor ! Great choice of music too :) What fish are in there at the moment ?

That is wonderful Viktor! ...such great depth in that small space.

Thank you for your feedback.

I had a maintenance work on this tank over the weekend. Plants trimmed, stones brushed. And a 60% water change with RO.

Started to clean up the front but still some work needed. Will shoot a final capture 10 days later when the plants grow back.

Then i may will try some new hardscape element to give a little tweak to this scape. If this turns out well that tweak will make it really unique. If not i still will have a backup photo :D This is the last thing before i rescape fully the tank probably.

For Christmas i bought a Profilux set to control the Aquarium meanwhile i am away. So now the CO2 is hooked up with this system i will add in the ferts too later. This is also kind of a study. How much a machine can add as an extra (if there's any) for example with a fluctuating water hardness co2 relations etc. So will keep my eye on this an will report back. This works nicely in our gallery on a shrimp tank, but this time it's an aquascape and my eye will be on that HC to see if that's improove or die off ;)

Ah and here is the shot. I almost forgot :D
Enjoy :thumbup:

8257490747_2e85fe0ea5_c.jpg

Viktor, every time I look at this I feel waves of calm wash over me. It is quite simply AWESOME.

What plants are in use here...... HC, Eleocharis (is it parvula or tennulus?) are there more than two types?

Looks superb

hydrophyte said:
That is splendid Viktor!

Thank you ;)

Antipofish said:
Viktor, every time I look at this I feel waves of calm wash over me. It is quite simply AWESOME.

Thanks mate :thumbup: Yeah actually it is too relaxing. Once you have a minimal setup you have the feeling there's something need to change. I am missing the gardening a little on this tank. Only an hour trimming every 3 or 4 weeks. :D But on the other side this is pretty cool that it looks ok on a long-term.

toadass said:
What plants are in use here...... HC, Eleocharis (is it parvula or tennulus?) are there more than two types?

Looks superb

Cheers :thumbup: HC, Eleocharis Parvula, Eleocharis Acicularis on the hill top, Brasiliensis on the left front. The rest just survival from my earlier tank from the soil (hydrocotyle sp and staurogyne) I usually cut these back to the ground.

viktorlantos said:

Hi Victor,
this looks stunning, however i feel it needs one more rock!
I can only dream of creating a tank as well executed as this but i do have one critique. I have always felt it about this tank, but i feel the grass at the rear which forms the central dip looks a little to perfect and unbroken. One small rock placed above, either left or right...probably to the left of the gap between the two central most rocks in amongst the grass would break this uniformity and transition the two sides of the scape better and would make the tank perfect :)
I hope you dont see my observation as a negative, its a truly inspiring scape, but id just like to see that one more little rock literally to only just break that perfect line :crazy:
Cheerio,
Ady.

Cheers Ady,
Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate that. Maybe this is one of the reason why i feel i had to add in something. A tweak to make it really unique. I did not thinked about an additional stone, but thinking about how to bring this scape to another level.

I have 3 things in mind:

- Do a photo from this scape with an exciting background to extend the space. Not something like the turkish style cloudy thing, but something what makes it different from the regular shoot tanks.
- Make a tree which will be on the left slope towards to the center right side. As the scape reminds me of New-Zealand and Walles. So i can imagine this with a balanced tree there which breaks the minimalistic look. i know again a tree... but some scape shout for that because of its natureness.
- Another idea to use the invert space for something. There are multiple possibilities. No floating island, but something which falls down from the surface. Not like avatar, but you get the idea... i know this will kill the HC and Parvula because of the shadow its create, so this maybe just for a final photo only before i dismantle the scape.

A couple things in my mind, but before i do something - if i do - i need to make a final capture form the current from if i mess it up :)

Can I ask how long ur carpet took to fill out? This is absolutely beautiful Mate :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Taken a bit more like 4 month or so, because of the changing water hardness. This put a bit of stress to the plants.

Wow it's good that the new forum search function working properly, otherwise i would not find my journal because of the increased activity nowadays :)

Well the tank is 8 month old now. Not too much thing happened in the past 2 months. Did not had much time to refine or upgrade the scape. So i just kept it going.
Tuned out i run out of phosphate and i had to dose it to do better. So now i am adding that daily or every 2 days.

I added in a GHL Profilux computer with pH control since christmas. And the CO2 reactor managed by the Profilux now.
Originally i set the pH to 6.5 and reduced a buit the lighting. 7-5 hours per tubes pair. I was tired to clean the rocks every 2 weeks and remove the algae.
This worked well, had less issues and the tank ran better, but the plants not grow that nice and after 2 trimming i had to agree on that i have less and less plants. So tweaked the pH controll again. Now target to 6.4 and the T5 tubes set to 7-7 hours a day. Fertilizers not changed. The goal is to switch the plants again to burnst mode and be in a shape to create the final photo.

I had a trimming session last week, and today i had a little time to make a capture on the tank. Now without any extra lights.

8 months... much easier to maintain than any bushy scape which is good sometimes, but i look for the change.

8505117498_737356034b_b.jpg

Oh and i thought this is an interesting stuff to share. Downloaded the last 2 months activities on the pH level from the Profilux. This is how it looks:

8499688099_cce789e50a_z.jpg

A bit of an explanation here. I had the pH target set to 6.5. The CO2 was stopped from 10pm to 10am. Lights was on from 15 to 10pm.
The above chart built based on an hourly data sampling.

The peaks on the bottom shows the water changes. I am missing one other at least, i was lazy around the new year but not that much :)
Anyway, since i do a 120 Liter water change with full RO water the pH drops to 6.3 or so. Then there is an interesting stuff on the upper parts.
After every water change the water is softer. And the Seiryu rocks starts to harden up the water daily. You can see the pH level on the top goes up the same way just like the hardness til i do another water change and everything starts again.

I think i had CO2 issues because of that earlier. Issues with plants - raising hardness and large soft water change. And with fishes too. I had a good level of CO2 in the tank but seeing the Amano shrimps or Otocinclus i had sometimes more than i needed.

Since the controller is watching my back, none of the amanos escaped. They work all day just like the otocinclus fishes.

Its not something new this is just an interesting stuff what i experienced in the past 2-3 months.

Victor,
You might think about something coming in from above: Riccia like Water fall.
This would help the trim fetish, and add some unique prespective.
Several water falls with Riccia attached to wood coming in might offer a simple to add interesting idea.

The pH jumping due to the increase in KH can be seen.
I often do not measure KH, I have when I need to be careful or see some evidence of CO2 issues.

So rather than adjusting the pH, I set the CO2 at a constant rate during the light period, but............I adjust the light to match the CO2 concentration increase perfectly.
I can do that with dimmer controllers, I cannot do that easily with a pH controller that's normally just a single set point.

Since we know light increases, so does CO2 demand in plants, and we know it's a non linear relationship, similar to the increase of CO2 at a steady supply.
This works very well. Trying to stay ahead of the KH increase due to the stones is a PITA.

I'm not sure about the rocks in the scape truthfully. They appear too even in size, something. I'd try something radical myself like you have planned:cigar:

Hi mate, great scape and it will look perfectly balanced without the vertical rock on the left, add some sand patches like on a golf course if you really want a tweak but forget the trees please, they are uber kitchy imho. :D
The ph controller is nice but I found out that a drop checker needs to be used 'cause if you use the ph/kh relationship doesn't give you the right amount of CO2, I aim it to be light green and it works fine.

Cheers,
Mike

Thanks for your comment guys. This is my home tank, and after spending a tons of time in the gallery with the rest and with clients tanks sometimes, when i get home i do not wants to bugfix all the time what is going on :) So the basic idea was to hand over the CO2 injection and forget to worry about decreased flow, too low pH, changing hardness etc which plays role in CO2 fluctations and cause extra work on my side :) Also wanted to test this out how it plays with a tank where a massive ammount of rock is affecting the water quality. Not sure how much i have there but around 40-50kg i guess. So it's a lot.

I was worried that the controller will cause issues with the HC and will inject less than they needed. But so far so good it is ok.

I do check the DC of course. Now i am waiting for the next month result to see how just a tiny change will affect the plants quality. As i decreased the target pH to 6.4. This small change is clearly not visible in DC, but plants bubbling more. Look forward to see the result after a few weeks.

Thanks for the idea on the sand patches Mike.

Thanks for the Riccia tip Tom. I am more worried to handle that beast and picking out the trimmed parts from the rest of the carpet. So i only go with Riccia when i need extreme challenges :)

Back