• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Forest of "Congo"

Hello just a small update of that tank.

Here is a picture taken a week ago

uqa2eze3.jpg

I have done an other trimming 2 week ago do that's the pic a week after.

Cheers
Zanguli

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello just a small update of that tank.

Here is a picture taken a week ago

uzybaryh.jpg

This time I have cut the reflexion on the table lol

I have done an other trimming 2 week ago do that's the pic a week after.

Cheers
Zanguli

Hi
Thanks a lot for the comment !!
Long time have not do a update !
Since than I have done a major change in the tank for a better flow ! But still battling with that flow !!
My CO2 is good light and ferts also and I'm having green hair algae !!
I m a bit tiered of this scape so if in January I'm still fighting with the flow and hair algae, I think I will rescape the tank.
I will soon make an update.

Cheers
Zanguli

HI EVERY ONE ,
FIRST HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU !!!!
I WANTED TO TELL YOU THAT SOON I WILL RESCAPE this tank. I starting to get tired of this scape and have some small problem of flow in this tank, due to that huge root.
I tried to order plants from france but i don't think they will arrive in good shape. the transporter have received the plants Wednesday and i will recieved it only on monday afternoon. so one week in a box i don't think they will be ok. maybe the crypt bulbs will be safe but the rotala green and the glosso will not make it !!! We will see, I ll let you know.
So hope that you have liked my first ever scape, and hope that the second one will be better than this one ??!!
i will put a last picture of the tank soon. it s a bit a mess now in the tank i went for 3 weeks hollydays so now need to trim etc ....
cheers guys
Zanguli

Hello
I wanted to know if you think that there is too much external light at day when lights are off ?
I think this could be one of the source of my hair algae problem. What make think about this is that CO2 is not available at the moment that external light is lightening the tank. So during this time ferts and light are available but not Co2 creating an unbalance atmosphere.
Do you think this could be one of the reason??
pa2a7yda.jpg

Here is a pic of the tank at 10 am

Cheers
Zanguli

Hi,
Possibly, but it's more likely that you are simply not adding enough CO2 when the gas is turned on, or, it could be a distribution issue.

Here is a tank that lived in an all glass South facing conservatory, and whose gas was on from about 10AM-5PM. At times, the ambient light was actually brighter than the tank lights. Algae was never an issue - until something went wrong with the CO2.
800x600

Cheers,

Hi Clive,
Happy new year to you !!
I don't really understand about my CO2.
The initial ph (water taken in bowl and rest for the whole night is) 7,3 and when the tank lights turn on the ph value is 6.
In that tank you are telling me the CO2 is on when external light strike the tank ? Because in my case the external light strike at 6 am and CO2 is on at 11 am and tank light are on at 2 pm.
For distribution I have 1100 l filter + a 500 L circulation pump + a coral is 900 L. My flow is from corner to corner and CO2 is by inline atomizer.
But to night or tomorrow I will receive my FX5 filter that I have order 3 weeks ago.

And I will follow your advice to put a spray bar from back to front, as many people told that it is the better solution.
I will rescape the tank this week, because I will receive my plants tonight. Hope that they are still alive after a week in the dark and with temperature variation. I am sure that cryp bulb have resist to this !! What do you think ?
Well if one day you decide to make a trip a Congo you that you are welcome to my place lol.

Cheers zanguli

Ah just forgot to say.
In my second tank that have the same amount of external light at the same time, BUT with CO2 on 24/7 is not facing this Algae problem.
Maybe distribution is better because it smaller with a 10x filter running on it.
But just to try, I have turn on 24/7 the CO2 on the first one !!! Lets see.

Regards

Happy New Year to you as well mate.
Yeah, you should not use the results of one tank to troubleshoot another. We have to address the known causes first and then investigate the other, less common possibilities. There are too many inter-related issues, many of which we lack the control of. Having said that though, to test your first assumption, then keeping the gas 24/7 in that tank would be a good way to check, however, if the injection/diffusion/distribution techniques are fundamentally poor, then you might have only partial success with 24/7 CO2, or, the additional benefit of 24/7 CO2 might appear to work and might just mask the fundamental problems. Another way to verify would be to keep the tank covered with a dark or an opaque fabric for a few weeks so that it blocks ambient light.

The photo I posted is of a tank with the lights off and with the Summer sun setting, perhaps around 8PM. In the morning, the sun is on the far left and not quite as much light comes in from that opposite side prior to gas on. Depending on the plant species, if they are in top health, they should be able to resist the debilitating effects of pre-gas light and there should be some gas left over still in the water from the previous day, especially if the tank is covered. This is an extreme example so it points to one of the basic issues.

Cheers,

HI Clive
you are right I can not take the result of the second tank to make conclusion on the first one. they are two different entity, with different balance and etc ...
To have a better view I will put a fabric on the tank during two or three weeks. last time when i battled the hair algae i have turn up the CO2, reduce de light (light are still the same since then) and i had put a fabric on it for three weeks. As you said I will have a better view of what is root of that problems !! So lets do it !!! yesterday i have check again the initial ph and the ph in the tank when lights are on. so initial value is 7,3 and tank value 6. So with the talk we had last time I think that the concentration is ok. distribution is done by a inline atomizer. maybe distribution is not enough good ?? i don't know i will take picture of the configuration and i'll put it here. Lights are on for 7 hours.

GOOOOOOOD NEWS yesterday night at 9 PM i have received my plants that have travel from France to belgium than to Congo, 8 days of traveling !!!!!!!!
it's incredible how strong plants can be !!!! 8 days in the dark with temperature fluctuation, chocks etc ..... they are in perfect shape
Yesterday night i was a bit tired after two hour of sport, so i have just clean the plants , took out the wool on it and put it in the substrate.
But i have a question I have received 5 nice pot of Glossostigma, but they are a bit in a mess (growing in all the ways) !!! I don't know if you understand what I mean ??
My question is, how can i proceed to best plant this glosso to have a good low carpet ?? because if i live it the way it now it more grow vertically and runners will grow on the substrate. One day I have read a thread about a guy advising how to trim and plant glossostigma to have it growing in low carpet.
So I wanted to know if you can give me good advice to start planting it !!!:)
Should i take it out of the tank, than cut leaves by leaves (with roots of course). To tell you the truth I don't know anything about this plants. So if you could share your experience.

Well i Have also received:
2 x cryp wendtii mioya
3 x cryp wendtii green
5 x rotala sp green
5 x glossostigma

It is a very good news for me that i can order plants from europe and received it in good shape. That means I can have what ever I wish when I decide to rescape a tank.
Maybe the cold weather of the winter have helped to keep them alive ??!!

thanks again for your time

Best regards
Zanguli

Hi Zanguli,
That's really good news that your orders from Europe make to you in a reasonable time. I've ordered plants from Asia many times and they take just as long (a week or more) to reach me without any issues. As far as planting glosso and others carpets like HC, some people have a lot of patience and use tongs to insert the individual plantlets. I don't have that kind of patience so I just cut the wool and stick the pieces in. I don't think it really matters that much. What matters is that your CO2/flow/distribution techniques are excellent and that the plants are well fed. Glosso benefits from being trimmed. The plant will then resume growing horizontally (and harmoniously) instead of vertically.

If your water is very soft, with low KH as I recall you mentioning, then it's entirely possible that a 1.3 pH drop is not enough and may indicate the need for an injection rate increase.

Also, it appears that you have a few stem plants in the foreground that you are allowing to grow tall. If left unchecked then these plants will block flow to the front substrate, where I assume you will plant the Glosso. Also, your blocks of wood are very thick and high, so you may wish to consider moving them more to the rear of the tank. Try to keep the front third of the tank as clear and free of obstructions as possible to give your carpet plants. It may be as simple as just pruning the stems and replanting the tops to keep them at a medium height as shown in your post #22. In any case, Glosso is intolerant of poor CO2, so the fact that you have hair algae, which is CO2 related, means that you need to find a very quick solution.

Cheers,

Hi this is the last post of this thread I have rescape the tank on Sunday.
The new scape is a low maintenance tank.
I made this choice because I don't have a lot of free time l, and I wanted to put more attention on my second tank.
So in the new set up I have
Microsorum pteroptus
Anubia nana
Spike moss
Cryp undulata
Cryp wendtii green
Lilaeopsis NZ
Hydrocolite

I will add some cryp when I get it from my order.

Well here is the last shot of the tank it was a mess haha
e8asunaq.jpg

And here is the new scape
ymepenah.jpg

usasynuj.jpg

The tank is now 3 days, I will start a new journal soon for this set up.

I wanted to say thank you to all the person that have like or read or comment my journal !! Thanks
And thank you for all the good advices you give me !

Now lets start a new journey
Cheers
Zanguli

Back