• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Under The Mangrove Tree.

I really like the rams mate, in such a green tank the blue is the perfect contrast. Nice choice.

Also your lilaeopsis looks super healthy, along with all the other flora. Impressive stuff :thumbup:

Great fish Ian. I've always been a fan of these, or Rams in general.

If I may add a couple of things about the vid mate....5 to 7 seconds per clip is just enough time to hold the interest of the viewer.

Try not to focus during a clip. I know fish move, so raise the f stop to cover more ground so to speak.

any 'jolt' from the camera or tripod, can be 'cut out' during a transition when editing.

It looks like you could pull back the exposure too...just a little. drop the ISO or increase the F stop.

Other than that mate, nice stuff.

Cracking video Ian. This is from a camera I presume not a camcorder ? The fish look cracking too.

Cheers guys, I added this vid last week, so didn't expect to see this bumped lol.

Cheers for that mark, it was only a quick vid to show the rams, I didn't concentrate to much on it. Regarding the settings, I'm not sure you can manually change them around that much on the 550d?

@ Chris, yes it's from a canon 550d, it's a great little slr, just noticed for some reason that they have gone up in price a bit as well. It seems to baffle the experts a little as well, as its marketed at a beginner, however, when you read the reviews many say that it sits in between an expert and a beginner. Love it though.

You can only shoot video in the video setting though, I'll have a look through the menu options. Tbh I haven't probably used the vid to its full potential. I wanted to try and get on top of the pics first. I'll have a mess around with it.

Here's a couple more pics of the rams. I still have a army of cherries as well, after 2 weeks...

8277782618_8c71b69904.jpg
ram2 by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

8276725817_a3232b6a33.jpg
Ram1 by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

Really nice mate, stunning colours they are showing now too! what water conditions are they in? RO? I'd love some but have hard as nails water! When you pour it out the tap it has tattoos!!! :wideyed:

Cheers Tim, the ranunculus has taken really well in the tank. Spreading like wild fire, there may be some up as a freebie in a few weeks time.

@ Gary, cheers mate, they are kept in ro cut with a little tap water. The gh is about 8, ph is between 6.2-6.8, the tds sits around 100 ish. Lincoln tap water is hard as as well, ph from the tap is 8, gh 26, tds 450! Incidentally I was reading a study at work the other day regarding the link between hard water and aortic valve disease...there's something to look forward to! Lol

Ian Holdich said:
Cheers Tim, the ranunculus has taken really well in the tank. Spreading like wild fire, there may be some up as a freebie in a few weeks time.

@ Gary, cheers mate, they are kept in ro cut with a little tap water. The gh is about 8, ph is between 6.2-6.8, the tds sits around 100 ish. Lincoln tap water is hard as as well, ph from the tap is 8, gh 26, tds 450! Incidentally I was reading a study at work the other day regarding the link between hard water and aortic valve disease...there's something to look forward to! Lol

What RO unit do you run Ian and what "wastage" rate do you experience (notwithstanding recycling if you do that).

I buy my ro in chris, as I'm on a water meter, and our water is so hard, it'd be to expensive.

Ian Holdich said:
I buy my ro in chris, as I'm on a water meter, and our water is so hard, it'd be to expensive.

Wow. Im doing the maths as we think...

1000L water supply and waste return £3.20

Claims say 4 parts dirty 1 part pure so £3.20 gets me 200L of RO water.

My LFS charges £4 for 25 L so 200L would cost me £32 which is 10 times the price of running an RO. Surely even factoring in the cost of replacement cartridges it is still cheaper ? I am probably missing something as I don't know heaps about RO but as I am thinking about getting it, I am keen to know more as I don't want to dive in and spend money on something thats gonna drain my wallet ! :)

Wow £4 is a lot for ro water!

I get 2x25ltr barrels a week for £4. Thats ok for me as I get to keep fish I couldn't keep with my tap water. I can't really be bother setting up an ro unit either.

stu_ said:
That'll be the North/South divide :)

Tell me about it. Ive even thought of setting up an RO unit and letting it run and selling any excess.. I could make a killing at £2 for 25L ;)

On a technical note though, if you have really hard water, does it take more "source" water to filter the same amount of RO ?

sorry missed these replies since the change over...

yes Chris, it uses more (a lot more!)

and Jojo, thank you.

not much to report, as i haven't touched the tank for a couple of weeks, thanks to the NHS and over working me!

I have taken a nice pic of the Myriophyllum mattogrossense 'Red' today when i finally did a water change.

8303134891_ab6574f081_z.jpg
Myriophyllum mattogrossense 'Red' by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

Back