• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My Discus Tank

Dan Crawford

Founder
UKAPS Team
Hey folks, it's been a while since i've had much to show you, mainly because i've been busy racing and working. Well this time of year I do very little of either so I set to work getting my "in the wall" discus tank sorted.

I built a stand out of 2" x 2" timber in January this year to hold a 4' x 2' x 2'. The tank came from ND aquatics for a bargain £210. I decided that I wanted an overflow so I followed an old tutorial in PFK, strapped on a pair and get the drill out. It went as perfect as I could have wished. It was a 40mm hole in the top left of the tank.

Next was to put the tank in position, get it level and then figure out where the waste water was going to go. So, with the intention of running a length of hose though the wall and along the back of the kitchen I get the drill out again. After a lot of effing and jeffing and A LOT of whole in walls and kitchen cabinets I had finally fixed the overflow pipe to the drainage for my washing machine.

So the plan is to have RO running into the tank 24/7 and so far it's working well. I ran a 25m RO hose from the waste outlet on the RO unit through the same rout as the overflow hose, through the downstairs bathroom, under the decking and into the KOI pond, everybody's happy :)

I then ran the tank whilst the race season got under way. It ran fine with the exception of the occasional flood which is pretty standard at my house. I had a leaky o-ring on an FX5, I was using a G6 and the FX5 but after the two floods the FX5 got relegated to back garden and replaced with another G6.

So, with the tank running fine and Christmas looming I had to pull my finger out as the tank looked a little rough just jammed under the stairs and i'm hosting Christmas dinner for the inlaws! After a lot of head scratching and very little momentum I gave in and called a carpenter. Within two evenings it was finished, the best £100 i've ever spent!

Here it is at Step 1
Step1-1.jpg

Step 2
Step2-2.jpg

Step 3
Step3-2.jpg

Step 4
Step4-2.jpg

Finished (iPhone Photo)
IMG_0973.jpg

The Aquascape
FTS-2.jpg

The details:
Tank - 1220 x 610 x 610 ND Aquatics 10mm thickness
Filtration - 2 x Fluval G6
Lighting - 4 x TMC Aquaray 500s
Substrate - Unipac Silver Sand
Rocks - Unipac Giant Lava
Plants - Tropica XL Ferns on wood
Fish - Wild Discus from www.discusforthediscerning.com
Scalare Angels from George Farmer's PFK Feature earlier this year.
20 odd Rummynose Tetras and 3 re-homed Clown Loaches.

Here's a load of photos to really test the new forum's speed ;)
IMG_8262small.jpg

IMG_8315small.jpg

IMG_8309Small.jpg

IMG_8299Small.jpg

IMG_8298Small.jpg

IMG_8285Small.jpg

IMG_8283Small.jpg

IMG_8278Small.jpg

IMG_8275Small.jpg

IMG_8274Small.jpg

IMG_8271Small.jpg

IMG_8270Small.jpg

IMG_8269Small.jpg

IMG_8264Small.jpg

I'll keep this updated as much as possible but there's very little to talk about most of the time.

Love this scape Dan and what a great idea placing the tank there!

Theres a couple of nice vids of this tank flying around as well.

Really nice mate!

Great job on the tank, looks great under the staircase, what are the plans in terms of planting? keeping it simple with this one?

Guess you will have to throw another summer bbq so I can come up and see it in the flesh ;)

Real nice, Dan. What about some moss rocks in there? That'd be the icing on the cake of a perfect pseudo biotope tank!

what are the plans in terms of planting? keeping it simple with this one?
You got it mate, I don't do water changes, dry food is fed with an automatic feeder, the last thing I wanna do is get my hands wet LOL

Guess you will have to throw another summer bbq so I can come up and see it in the flesh
Yep, i'm thinking June :)

Real nice, Dan. What about some moss rocks in there? That'd be the icing on the cake of a perfect pseudo biotope tank!
Nice one Garuf, I'll do that. It's proper warm in there but i'll see what takes. The area in the void above the tank and below the stairs is so moist i've started to get mold growing so i'm adding a bathroom extractor fan, it should still be damp enough to grow some terrestrial mosses etc though;)

Love this scape Dan and what a great idea placing the tank there!
Thanks pal

Theres a couple of nice vids of this tank flying around as well.
I presume you mean this one? This was it a while back, I love the black water......

I understand weeping is the most forgiving of higher temperatures, christmas too but a touch less so.

Get yourself some condensation trays! ;)

Jesus, Dan! Senior moment? :p

It's worth mentioning a dehumidifier will work better than a fan typically especially in very enclosed areas like this.

Jesus, Dan! Senior moment?
Turned 30 last week, obviously going down hill already!
It's worth mentioning a dehumidifier will work better than a fan typically especially in very enclosed areas like this.
Agreed, as you can see my tank is by the kitchen, i'm just going to fit the fan to extract the air out of the void and straight into the kitchen, i'm sure the kitchen can cope with the extra moisture.

Ooo the big 30, congrats.

Assuming there's a vent going to outside and it doesn't cause any issues in that room with condensation then I'd think that'd be fine. Good luck.

Congrats :)

This is easily one of my favourite fishy tanks! Easy peasy

It looks really nice that Dan... A great feature for the home! The scape looks very natural too and the fish, wow! Discus are always my favourite fish of all time, but they look stunning mate - really well done :thumbup:

Out of curiosity, how come discus are kept at 28c+ when it's my understanding in the wild they're normally found at around 23-25c according to Heiko?

Hey Dan, this is a fantastic tank. There is something really special about the wild caught discus. I do like some of the domestic strains but the WC look "real" if you get my meaning.

You wrote "So the plan is to have RO running into the tank 24/7 and so far it's working well".... not on a water meter then huh ? LOL

The unipac rocks... are they hollow ?

Back