• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Angel Delight :)

jojouk

Ok, so here goes...

This is how the tank stand started its life with me,

IMG_2820.jpg

It didnt look quite strong enough...

IMG_2834-1.jpg

So I added lots of support!

IMG_3026-1.jpg

And gave it a bit of a paint

IMG_2994.jpg

Finished article.

IMG_3075.jpg

Cat litter substrate, capped by Argos play sand.

624d475c.jpg

91154ed2.jpg

First bit of hardscape and a few plants put in, but no lighting :(

22c123eb.jpg

Lights!

476b9e50.jpg

3ab4c0cc.jpg

Second piece of hardscape in place

360BC46C-274E-45B6-94F0-A656438E6856-1090-000000811B9C8924.jpg

And some more plants.

9EAB75C7-B01B-4293-B939-E82326143AF3-174-00000014176E40A3-1.jpg

And finally, how it looks today. Adding pressurised CO2 after crimbo :) Just need everything to start growing!!! Dosing EI ferts and liquid CO2 at the moment.

IMG_3748_zps12a49a0c.jpg

IMG_3666_zpsd6186c4d.jpg

A fantastic start, I really like how you have revived the unit too :thumbup: what lights are you running?

Im running a twin t5 unit, 4 ft bulbs, 54w. I'm not so keen on the colour temp tbh, but they were cheap bulbs :) the colour is a bitter murky as the wood is still tanning quite a bit. I normally use purigen, but I haven't got the nerve to put it back in after its re-charging with bleach!!! I worry too much....

Yep, really like this. Done well to add haird scape whilst tank and inhabitants are still in there, I always find it a mare. Did you take the wood out to do the moss attachment? Had mine out last night much to the better halves disappointment.....

Yeah, I take it out to do the moss, did a few of the higher up ones while in situ, but easier to take it out :) hate putting it back in tho!!!

yep, thanks for the info, but I'm aware of this. I am getting some melt, but I have to dose liquid co2 until my pressurised setup is all good to go. I just snip off the bad bits :) there is plenty in there to last! :)

thanks for the lovely comments guys :)

wow looks great lovely cabinet was it origionally a aquarium stand ? hard scape looks great

Dean

Nice layout mate.

However, I do feel that's an awful lot of light with no co2. Even with CO2, I'd cut back on the amount of light you've got there.

Would I be right in saying your seeing a bit of algae on that nice white sand?.....cut back that light!

Nice layout mate.

However, I do feel that's an awful lot of light with no co2. Even with CO2, I'd cut back on the amount of light you've got there.

Would I be right in saying your seeing a bit of algae on that nice white sand?.....cut back that light!

I have a 5 hr photoperiod, can't really cut back more than that unless I change the unit, which I can't really do :(

Using liquid co2, going pressurised in a couple of weeks?

the sand is brownish anyway, the patches of darker areas are where the cat litter has accumulated, no algae :) have a teenie bit of hair algae, but that's on it's way out, leftovers from when I wasn't using he liquid co2 with a 3 hr photoperiod :)

wow looks great lovely cabinet was it origionally a aquarium stand ? hard scape looks great

Dean

yeah, it was an aquarium stand, don't know how it held the tank tho, it was fairly flimsy!

I only have two bulbs...it's a twin light unit? Have I confused someone?

Im running a twin t5 unit, 4 ft bulbs, 54w. I'm not so keen on the colour temp tbh, but they were cheap bulbs the colour is a bitter murky as the wood is still tanning quite a bit. I normally use purigen,
OK I (we) must of miss read your post to say " Im running a twin t5 unit, 4 bulbs "

Ahhhh, I thought it was strange that 2 x 4ft bulbs would be very high light :) Thanks for the input however!

So how many bulbs have you got?.... 2 x or 4 x 54wt5?

If there's any way of running them independently, then do so.

Remove reflectors, or do what I've done in the past, place masking tape over the clear plastic which protects the tubes from moisture.

Lighting, in any aquarium is key. Gain control over this, and you'll be the master of your own tank.

Lol, 2x54w T5's :) and no, no way of running them independently :)

I think I have mastered the lighting, as I did have algae, now dosing liquid co2, and now no algae...

:)

Lovely looking setup. I've got a question and a suggestion.

Question: I thought Angels were pretty much guaranteed to eat everything in sight in a planted tank? Have I been dismissing them all this time unnecessarily?

Suggestion: That stand looks infinitely better in white, but have you considered emphasising the details in the front? You could paint the indentations in pure black, which would set off the rest of the stand nicely and make it more than a functional block for the tank to sit on?

Question answer - Nope, mine don't nibble :) I have heard that some do, if they have a poor diet, and are lacking isomething nutrient, or are bored, but I have a large group, and they are fed well, so fora so good :)

suggestion response - my other half suggested that too...but I am a little bit of a perfectionist, and any outcome painted by my own hands would feel amateur to me!!! If you catch my drift..

:)

Back