• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sulawesi Shrimp Project

andyh

Hello

Just thought i would share a little project i have been tinkering with behind the scenes. Since attending Aquatics live and seeing the fabulous stand of one of our sponsors Freshwatershrimp.

I have been bitten by the shrimp bug again. I am currently keeping CRS and Rilli Shrimp in my main planted tank but always fancied Sulawesi.

So i dug out a spare Dennerle Cube, heater and Ikea light and set off researching what i needed.

I have been running the tank for about 6 weeks now and all is going well, the plan being if i can keep them alive and get them breeding i will upgrade the tank etc.

Spec:

20l Dennerle cube
Small internal filter
Ikea Light
50w heater set at 26.5c
Using only RO water and using Sulawesi Mineral 7.5, purchased from Freshwatershrimp at Aquatics live.
8327633690_ab6de85a34_b.jpg
Sulawesi Mineral 7.5 by andyh_2011, on Flickr

Water changes once every 7-10 days 40%, with top ups for evaporation every 3 days.

Livestock/Plants:
5 x White Orchid Shrimp (sold as Starry Night Sulawesi)> I purchased them from my local Maidenhead, the minute they were released from quarantine. For a £5 each (know them well :thumbup: )

Photo taken from Adventures in Shrimp Keeping - Shrimpery, which has loads of info on Sulawesi's if anybody is interested.
I havent taken any good pics yet of the shrimp as they are very secretive , but will do soon.

Plants:
Various Moss, Crypts and Hydrocotyle.

Decor:
Seriyu Stone (increases PH)
Manzi Wood
Inert Black Gravel

I hope to get some more from freshwater shrimp.co.uk in the new year as i plan to visit their shop and collect some.

Here is a pic of the setup:
8327633078_764d139b41_b.jpg
Sulawesi Shrimp Tank by andyh_2011, on Flickr

As you can see compared to my other setups its very basic, but i am concentrating on getting things right for the shrimp at the moment.

One final bit of good news i am pretty sure one the shrimps is now carrying eggs! So fingers crossed please, will keep this post updated:thumbup:.

Thanks for looking
Andyh

Attachments

• 8327633078_764d139b41_b.jpg
    8327633078_764d139b41_b.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 144
Hi Andy,
great looking shrimp.
what type of light is that? Will it create a heat source which could effect temperature stability?
good luck :thumbup:

Very nice mate,
Ive always been astounded by the colourations of Sulawesi. Really nice looking with vibrant colours.
All the best with this one :)
Cheers Dude

Hi Andy,
great looking shrimp.
what type of light is that? Will it create a heat source which could effect temperature stability?
good luck :thumbup:

Cheers Ady, Its just a budget halogen light from ikea, it does create heat but only raises the tank temp by about 0.5C, been using it for 6 weeks with no drama. It will be changed at some point, but for now it works well.

Andy

Nice one Andy, using RO is the way forward for Sulawesi, I have been trying to keep them in Tap water and its failed after a few months they all start dying off. I would say not to change more than 10-20% at water changes, Sulawesi are sensitive to water changes even when using RO I wouldn't go all the way to 40%, 10-20% once a week would be the ideal, specially in a small tank.

Looking forward to seeing how you do with this one ;) good luck

Nice project, with the Sulawesi shrimp are plants a big deal?

Also is that a 10l or a 20l as the filter looks the same size in my dennnerle 10 as it does in your 20

Hey chaps thanks for all the comments and words of encouragement, lets hope it all goes well!

Nice one Andy, using RO is the way forward for Sulawesi, I have been trying to keep them in Tap water and its failed after a few months they all start dying off. I would say not to change more than 10-20% at water changes, Sulawesi are sensitive to water changes even when using RO I wouldn't go all the way to 40%, 10-20% once a week would be the ideal, specially in a small tank.
Looking forward to seeing how you do with this one ;) good luck

Paulo, great advice, i will take on board the 10-20% rule on the WC. I look forward to a bigger tank to be honest

Well as your water parameter is ok (mineral is a good stuff), now you need some algae on the glasses :)
Just kidding, but shrimplets will feed from that the easiest way.
Good luck on the new project :thumbup:
There is some algae in there, encouraging it to grow! Which makes a nice change!

Nice one Andy. I shall be watching your progress with interest.
By the way, did you pick up a TDS pen ,
Roll on the Pictures.:thumbup:

No tds or PH pens yet, but look at this once i get the new tank.

Great news, saw my first baby last night. It was approx 3mm long! Also I think one of the females is pregnant again.

Been letting algae form on the side glass and rocks which should give a steady food source.

Thanks for looking
Andyh

Hi all,
I look forward to a bigger tank to be honest
I've never kept them, but I wouldn't try them in a small water volume, and I'd upgrade the tank size as soon as possible. The reason is the smaller the tank is the more difficult it is to get stability and I'd go for at least a 60 x 30 x 30cm long term. If I was trying to keep them, I'd just adapt the method I use for small and "difficult" fish fry.

now you need some algae on the glasses
I'm with Viktor on this one, just think of it as "periphyton". I would try and get some moss established first, and just keep the shrimps with MTS and or Tylomelania snails and some leaf litter. I don't know what other rocks you can get, but I would like a "lava rock" type with a rough and complex surface for algae to grow on, and then I would then layer it to give as high an area of illuminated rock surface as possible.

I'd also have some floating plants to try and keep water quality extremely high, if you can get the BOD low enough it will ensure high oxygen levels, ideally I would like a HOB or trickle filter (with an internal sponge to act as another browsing surface). I would also be very careful feeding them, and try and keep it low protein, ideally I wouldn't feed them at all. If you don't feed them, Hydra and Planaria are unlikely to be a problem, but I would bait regularly at night for Planaria.

I'd go for a lot of regular small water changes (10% daily with RO), and use the salts mix to adjust the conductivity. I'd get the conductivity level you want by adding the appropriate amount of the salt mix to 20l of RO , and then measuring the conductivity. Then just adjust your tank water to that level with the salt mix. I'd rather have a conductivity meter than any other meter (including pH) and it is well worth getting one if you don't own one.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

I've never kept them, but I wouldn't try them in a small water volume, and I'd upgrade the tank size as soon as possible. The reason is the smaller the tank is the more difficult it is to get stability and I'd go for at least a 60 x 30 x 30cm long term. If I was trying to keep them, I'd just adapt the method I use for small and "difficult" fish fry.

I'm with Viktor on this one, just think of it as "periphyton". I would try and get some moss established first, and just keep the shrimps with MTS and or Tylomelania snails and some leaf litter. I don't know what other rocks you can get, but I would like a "lava rock" type with a rough and complex surface for algae to grow on, and then I would then layer it to give as high an area of illuminated rock surface as possible.

I'd also have some floating plants to try and keep water quality extremely high, if you can get the BOD low enough it will ensure high oxygen levels, ideally I would like a HOB or trickle filter (with an internal sponge to act as another browsing surface). I would also be very careful feeding them, and try and keep it low protein, ideally I wouldn't feed them at all. If you don't feed them, Hydra and Planaria are unlikely to be a problem, but I would bait regularly at night for Planaria.

I'd go for a lot of regular small water changes (10% daily with RO), and use the salts mix to adjust the conductivity. I'd get the conductivity level you want by adding the appropriate amount of the salt mix to 20l of RO , and then measuring the conductivity. Then just adjust your tank water to that level with the salt mix. I'd rather have a conductivity meter than any other meter (including pH) and it is well worth getting one if you don't own one.

cheers Darrel

Darrel - Thanks for taking the time to respond to this journal with lots of interesting points.

I have since added more floating plants, the alage is forming well on the hardascape and the moss is growing steadily, Helps when i keep adding more from my other tanks.

I had already noted Paulos comments about WC's and only do small 15% ones now

The good news is i saw another baby shrimp this evening about 4mm in length exploring the gravel!!!
Well chuffed! Must be doing something right!

Andyh

The good news is i saw another baby shrimp this evening about 4mm in length exploring the gravel!!! Well chuffed! Must be doing something right!
Congrats Andy, good to see you are having good results as expected :) well done :thumbup:

Back