• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Using Carbonated water

paulsouthuk

Hi just seen on the featured scapes section that worlds apart makes use of carbonated water. This tank has Riccia Fluitans in it. Is carbonated water really a good solution for adding CO2? What side effects are there and what brand is the best? I have a 150l set up. Is it cost effective to use carbonated water?

Check out my triptych nano journal.

I wanted a tank that I could grow medium tech plants that required slightly more attention than low tech but without the co2 faff.. I use carbonated water for each of my 300mm cubes and have been doing so for about 2 months. I buy 2x 65p 2l bottles from the shop and does 6ml per day in each tank. good thing is its cheap.. bad thing is you have to replace the bottle when its about half way as the fizz goes! Its once again (as everything is) all down to personal results and preference.. In my case it works wonders, I base this on the size of my tank though.. My tanks are5 times smaller than yours so I would be unsure if it would have an impact, if any at all.. you could try liquid carbon as a substitute, but of course this does not match co2 quality.

Jack

Hello,
Carbonated water is water that has had lots of CO2 gas injected into it, so it's exactly the same as what we do. You can then add secret syrup and then call it cola. Unless you have access to cheap sources of this I don't think it would be very cost effective.

HAHAHa!

Ceg I was saying its not as affective because its life pan in the tank is less.. as aposed to a very constant and balanced flow of injected co2 into the tank :)

Jack? Ever thought about buying a 'fizz-keeper'. I know the bottles are cheap, but if you can make the whole bottle last, you'll be saving 30p a time. Plus maybe maintaining a good level of co2 within the water throughout.

7a6uzehu.jpg

haha amazing image Nath :) It would be a good idea.. but it really doesn't cost me that much, although I do hate to just throw away half a bottle every time... Ill see if I can find any on Ebay or something :)

Or alternatively drink it and no waste ;)

bad thing is you have to replace the bottle when its about half way as the fizz goes!

Or - collapse the bottle as you use the water. Just slowly squeeze the bottle until the water reaches the top and then screw the cap on tightly. If there is no 'air' in the bottle then the fizz has nowhere to go! It stays fizzy.

Thanks for the replies I just think I'll have a go with it and see how I go. I don't have magic syrup so I'll stick to plain carbonated water. However if I was to do an amazonian biotope I may try cola to get the authentic colour. Thankyou for all your replies.

How would this affect the livestock in the tank? I can get plenty of soda water from where I work, which is just carbonated water...hmmmmm ???

So how do you do it? Have you tested to see how much you add and what co2 saturation it gives? or is it a kind of hit and miss and see how it goes kinda thing?

Check out my triptych journal, I explain what I use. I use roughly 6ml a day ;) I use it on 3x 27l tanks so it works wonders, I doubt I would use it on anything bigger that 60l as the distribution would be too poor :(

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

But wouldnt you have pH swings and unstable CO2 levels which would lead to algae ?

But wouldnt you have pH swings and unstable CO2 levels which would lead to algae ?

nearly 4 months down the line and no signs of algae so i guess not :) maybe this is just my tank set up though.. My cuba is doing great and thats with carbonated water every day. :)

Wouldn't it be more effective and cheaper just to use EasyCarbo in the end?

well i buy a bottle of fizzy water for about 65p and it lasts me 1-2 weeks before it looses fiz so its pretty cheap :) I do also use LC but only when I feel it is needed :)

Back