• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Light Rail - Material/Size/Bender

Hi all,

If making a light rail to hold 2 x TMC 1000ND LED Tiles, can anyone advise on material and diameter of the pipe that I should use to ensure that the structure is strong enough?

Ive looked at copper but as a soft metal I doubt its strength (although I dont think 1000ND tiles are all that heavy), People in america seem to use galv electric conduit piping but I cannot find anything other than plastic in the UK so far. I have also found both round and square steel tubing at a hardware store but am unsure whether this can be easily bent at home without needing to buy a special bender.

I have a bender for your normal plumbing pipes like copper but im unsure of steel.

Anyone done this before?

i used the 19mm tube arondip linked also used this for the bend Elbow 19mm Chrome - Wardrobe Rails - Shelving -Decorating & Interiors - Wickes wasnt confident enough to bend the pipe im using it to hold a small t5 luminare ill try and get a pic up later :thumbup:
pic added
8340911205_713d745dd3.jpg

Whats wrong with the TMC mms rail stuff ?

I take it he doesnt want to fix a light unit to the ceiling. Im doing the same on the cabinet thats now coming together nicely. Had another 4 hours on it yesterday, so the main structures nearly altogether.

i used the 19mm tube arondip linked also used this for the bend Elbow 19mm Chrome - Wardrobe Rails - Shelving -Decorating & Interiors - Wickes wasnt confident enough to bend the pipe im using it to hold a small t5 luminare ill try and get a pic up later :thumbup:
pic added
8340911205_713d745dd3.jpg

Ahhh ok! I was wondering about the bends when using the wardrobe poles! If those bends are strong enough I think that may be my preferred option now. Id rather get something that I don’t have to bend ideally

I take it he doesnt want to fix a light unit to the ceiling. Im doing the same on the cabinet thats now coming together nicely. Had another 4 hours on it yesterday, so the main structures nearly altogether.

He doesnt have to fix it to the ceiling even if he uses the MMS system. It would still integrate with other options including the overhanging suppor arms by arcadia which I used.

Ahhh ok! I was wondering about the bends when using the wardrobe poles! If those bends are strong enough I think that may be my preferred option now. Id rather get something that I don’t have to bend ideally
made from pretty solid plastic don't know how heavy the tiles are its held my luminare no probs for over a year now

Id definitely go over the top with rigidity, the LED units are fairly weighty, and that being said, i wouldn't like to rest half a grands worth of kit on a piece of plastic.

Im getting mine made from a metal fabricator hopefully. Made from one piece of pipe.

Hey tim, they are made from heavy duty plastic, but completely different from suspending on one side like your hanging system.

Your unit will probably be a lot lighter than the combined weight of two Tiles.

You could use your method, but take a return down the other side to make the system a lot more rigid.

What are the mountaray brackets made from nath ?

Tim
Two mountaray brackets (you can buy them as a pair for £25 I believe or as singles, but you would need a pair), along with two lengths of MMS rail (these attach to the mountarays... Ian Holditch uses the same sytem on his 80cm tank but with aquaray strips instead of the tiles) would be fine for the 90cm tank :) Would look pretty smart too. Im not sure but I think you can get the mountarays in white as well.

No, I've not seen the MMS brackets in white yet Chris! For sale anyway ( I know aquajardin had some on display last year).
I was just going to spray paint mine white, before deciding on hanging.

Sorry Tim, I wasn't saying you were, just. If it was me, I'd want them solid as a rock :D

Back