• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Brown Algae

8345318148_96e07477ab_c.jpg

Looks like you will have enormous flow issues with a tank this size and depth. The filter intake should possibly go right to the bottom of the tank to try an collect all the detritus falling to the bottom. Also you don't mention the exact filter model number, but it looks like 16mm piping, which means the filter is probably hopelessly too small for a tank this size. I have 22mm piping & 1500 litres per hour (+ another 600litre per hour filter) on only 180 litres.

If you are going high tech (which is certainly necessary with that amount of light) you are looking possibly at 8000litre per hour filter capacity :eek: Of course you could do it with 2 off monster filters and some wavemakers/circulation pumps.

I've edited the posts to show the images inline.

Every plant needs CO2 but some are more efficient than others. Anubias and ferns are some of the more efficient and it is not required to enrich CO2 - as long as you keep the lighting low. When the lighting is high these are some of the first plants that show signs of deficiency, so keep the lighting low and there will not be any need to get more complicated.

Cheers,

Looks like you will have enormous flow issues with a tank this size and depth. The filter intake should possibly go right to the bottom of the tank to try an collect all the detritus falling to the bottom. Also you don't mention the exact filter model number, but it looks like 16mm piping, which means the filter is probably hopelessly too small for a tank this size. I have 22mm piping & 1500 litres per hour (+ another 600litre per hour filter) on only 180 litres.

If you are going high tech (which is certainly necessary with that amount of light) you are looking possibly at 8000litre per hour filter capacity :eek: Of course you could do it with 2 off monster filters and some wavemakers/circulation pumps.

i do not want my tank to be a High tech. I will reduce the lighting by 50% so it should be 2X80watts. How do you find this for my tank specification. Ya getting the intake pipe to the bottom will actually take more waste material in will try it . My Eheim filter reads 1000/hr. apart from this I have the black boyu internal filter which gives strong water movements.

Every plant needs CO2 but some are more efficient than others. Anubias and ferns are some of the more efficient and it is not required to enrich CO2 - as long as you keep the lighting low. When the lighting is high these are some of the first plants that show signs of deficiency, so keep the lighting low and there will not be any need to get more complicated.

Cheers,

I knew Anubias and java fern require less light but never knew they would be fine with low lighting .. Say only 50% of lighting in my tank.

So keeping light as low as possible is going to bring some Nice plant growth with some ferka addition. I'm just keeping it this simple. Also in the pictures you can find Anubias new leaves crinkling and pointing downwards so even this will be sorted out by reducing the lighting. Right ??

Also suggest me few low light plants for my tank spec.

I think much has already been said.

I just wanted to confirm that Anubias and ferns can do very well in low light, low tech setups, albeit they grow slowly. Anubias in my experiance seem to do better than Java fern under low light. One thing that Anubias can suffer from is Green spot Algae, I get this in my more high tech tanks, but not at all in the low light tanks that only have gravel substrate, Anubias attached to rocks and only a sponge filter. I still do weekly 50% water changes though, but then they are breeding tanks.

Yes, anubias an ferns can excel in nothing more than light coming through the window to the tank. You really don't even need to turn the tank light on at all. Mosses also do well, Riccia, some stems such as Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig', which is a lovely plant having pink veining, common Ludwigias such as L. repens. Carpet plants such as Pogostemon helferi can be grown. Almost all of the crypts and swords are OK in low tech. Vallis is a popular low tech plant as well.

The crinkling and leaf deformation is due to CO2 starvation. Once the lighting is lowered to within reason the CO2 demand is reduced and the deformation will not appear on new leaves. It's not likely the the existing leaves will straighten out but this is not a big deal. Just chop them off and the new ones will grow in.

Cheers,

I think much has already been said.

I just wanted to confirm that Anubias and ferns can do very well in low light, low tech setups, albeit they grow slowly. Anubias in my experiance seem to do better than Java fern under low light. One thing that Anubias can suffer from is Green spot Algae, I get this in my more high tech tanks, but not at all in the low light tanks that only have gravel substrate, Anubias attached to rocks and only a sponge filter. I still do weekly 50% water changes though, but then they are breeding tanks.

Thank you letting me know anubias can survive in low lights.. Can you update a picture of your low tech tank anubias in here ? Im wondering about their growth and color.

Yes, anubias an ferns can excel in nothing more than light coming through the window to the tank. You really don't even need to turn the tank light on at all. Mosses also do well, Riccia, some stems such as Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig', which is a lovely plant having pink veining, common Ludwigias such as L. repens. Carpet plants such as Pogostemon helferi can be grown. Almost all of the crypts and swords are OK in low tech. Vallis is a popular low tech plant as well.

The crinkling and leaf deformation is due to CO2 starvation. Once the lighting is lowered to within reason the CO2 demand is reduced and the deformation will not appear on new leaves. It's not likely the the existing leaves will straighten out but this is not a big deal. Just chop them off and the new ones will grow in.

Cheers,

Thank you so much bro, you have given a clear idea of plants that i should be looking to add without having to do any other additional equipments like filter, co2 etc.... Will try to source some here locally and will update you the pictures once i get them.

Will have lights really low in my tank so i will keep the plants CO2 requirement also low.

I just started the PARTIAL blackout today, with no bulbs ON. I haven't covered the tank completely as that is going to scare people coming into my home because my aquarium stands right in the entrance. Will continue this for 3-4days and see if this kills algae. Can i do a 50% water change during this NO LIGHT period ??

Hi,
During the real blackout it's best to not do anything. Just keep the filters running and have patience. Those plant in particular are impervious to blackouts so the blacker, the better. I guess you can put up police barrier tape or "Wet Floor" sign or something just to throw people off the track...

Cheers,

I will be getting the tank covered completely atleast for 2 days... LET THE BLACKOUT BEGIN..

These are pictures of my java fern and i have no clue about whats happening and why they are going down.. Last picture shows my narrow leaf also with the black coloration. HELP

Thank you Ceg.. To have a clear idea on the problem with java fern i have attached few close up pictures. Have look at them. i have decided to reduce the lighting period in my tank to 2X80watts 4hrs ..

IMG_2503 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Back