• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best Filter for 450l planted tank?

Brian Murphy

At present I use 2 Allponds external filters ..... a 1400l/h +uv (inline mixer/reactor connected with dreadful flow loss) and a 2000l/h. I need better flow, ideally I want the x10 rule for my high-tech planted tank. I have seen an Eheim professionel 3 1200xl (new) for £250 but it is only rated for a 400l tank, I can't see the justification for paying that money and not getting near the x10 rule. I will also be adding an UP Inline Atomizer aswell. Any ideas folks? Willing to spend some money and get this sorted once and for all, or is it possible with a tank this size?

You could always stick with the filtration you have now, but just add a 2500 lph powerhead/ wavemaker or two. You would need like two fx5's for the 10x rule, which is overkill IMO and a watse of money. A 2000lph pump in the corner the tank with a filter sponge and spray bar would be a good option, unless you have a sparsely planted tank and didn't want visible equipment. I agree with you on the allpondsolutions external filters, I have a 2000 lph and its awful flow wise.

Or you could use a closed loop to increase the flow if you don't want to buy an additional high turnover filter or if you're adverse to having a pump in the tank.

The 2080 is rated for tanks up to 1200 litres, I used one of these on my 450l and got really good flow from that and a power head alone. You could also consider the odyssea cf750 filters too which I think are about £70 but chuck out 750gph

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back