• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

PlantsAlive.co.uk? Are they Good?

Not everyone can afford to buy quality at higher prices in these hard times and still fulfil their desires for the love of aquascaping!
The proven quickest way to stifle the love for aquascaping is failure and algae, not the cost. If you give yourself the best chance of success from the beginning then you are more likely to succeed. LD hit the nail on the head....
I only realised when I joined UKAPS that I was actually buying Tropica plants already hence as a beginner I was having great success already.
soak them for 48hrs
That's another 2 days in less than perfect conditions.
I totally agree that there is no comparison to Tropica or Aquafluer for quality but for someone to plant a tank from scratch paying £5.99/£7 for one pot of one species it is going to cost them alot of money.
Pets at Home and Maidenhead Aquatics both do these quality plants at 3 for £10 and most stores will order them in specifically for you.
unless its one of our top Aquascapers testing them and them failing I would take it all with a pinch of salt.
Just off the top of my head Mark Evans, Tony Swinney, Stu Worrall, Eduard Gercog and George Farmer all use Tropica plants, i'm trying to think of an aquascaper who has created the same quality of aquascape with budget plants - they've all been down that route and realised that the investment is a worthy one.

Hi, i am wondering what online retailer sells the best quality plants and the cheapest. I stumbled upon PlantsAlive when reading this month's PFK magazine. Does anyone have actual experience with this retailer? if so what are the quailty of the plants like? Finally on thier webiste you choose an option, quantity i x25, x5, etc but at the bottom you choose to add only 1 to your basket?!?! how does this work? Does choosing option x5 and 1 quantity i give you 5 pots of say, HC? and option x5 and quantity i 2 give you 10 pots? Below is a link to the page for hc, how many pots for £2.45?? Please answer :thumbup:

http://www.plantsalive.co.uk/Aquarium-P ... y7ezMgbRkh
used them once, never again.

Murf, by all means try it... but you might notice a pattern that people dont use them more than once. Oh and avoid java plants like the plague, they take your money then ignore you.

I have used them before but any failure was down to myself due to not knowing what I was doing and trying to grow hard to grow plants in a low tech tank. Alot of them are still going however even after moving them over to my high tech tank and thats a year ago!
I don't disagree with anyones point of view that the quality is not there and the chances of failure is certainly higher but I'm glad the option is there for people that can't afford lots of plants in one buy. I'm going to have so much fun planting alot of plants and working out an aquascape that looks good with more plants than I would have got from a few pots. I will see what does well and what doesn't. Maybe I am just at a stage in my hobby where I want to learn for myself, trial and error.
But back to the main question about plantsalive, are they good? I would say yes they are good for the amount you get and the price you pay but don't expect the same success with the plants as you would if you bought Tropica or Aquafluer.

Very interesting read as I'm about to purchase enough plants for a 250l, I had settled on ordering the bulk of the plants from Planted Tanks for all aquarium plants. but now I'm unsure. However after looking back at the website I've realised their selection is European grown but priced as asian grown. Has anyone had any recent experience with plantedtanks?

Very interesting read as I'm about to purchase enough plants for a 250l, I had settled on ordering the bulk of the plants from Planted Tanks for all aquarium plants. but now I'm unsure. However after looking back at the website I've realised their selection is European grown but priced as asian grown. Has anyone had any recent experience with plantedtanks?

I ordered a few potted plants from them and they arrived well packaged and in good nick. They didnt last but that was around the time I was having Co2 issues.

Back