• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim media...

jack-rythm

I have just bought two filters 2213's for a great price.. No media though. I wad looking on Ebay and all the eheim filter media is quite a lot.. Is there a way around this? I'm assuming I don't have to use eheim products surely? Any advice how to fill me filters on the cheap?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Hi jack, get the standard mechanical rings for the bottom and then just fill with Alfa grog. Really really cheap and very effective bio media top with a bit if filter floss :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Allister. How effective us this?

How effective is the Alfa grog?? As a bio media it's really good, just google the stuff and you'll see lots of people use it. It allows good flow through the filter as it doesn't compact and I've used it previously in my fx5s and my old 2080. There was a thread on here a while back about it.
Lots of people use it as media in ponds etc too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,
get the standard mechanical rings for the bottom and then just fill with Alfa grog. Really really cheap and very effective bio media top with a bit if filter floss
I like Ceramic/sintered glass rings and Alfagrog as well, the only difference would be that I'd only 2/3 fill the filter with them and I would put a sponge pre-filter on the intake and leave the filter floss out. The advantage of having a pre-filter is that it is really easy to do weekly maintenance, and you can leave the filter media cleaning for a lot longer. The disadvantage is that you have another bit of kit in the tank.

Eheim do a good pre-filter (part 4004320) or you can make one from a foam sheet/block. Details here <Eheim 2211 weak flow and making noise. help please!? | UK Aquatic Plant Society>, although since I wrote that I've started putting double taps on both the intake and outlet hoses, partially to make cleaning the hoses easier (I make sure each run of piping isn't more than twice as long as the cleaning brush).

I use one of these for cleaning - "13mm Dia. Burette Long Cleaning Brush Glass" from here: <LABWARE, Glassware items in Laboratory store on eBay!>.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
I like Ceramic/sintered glass rings and Alfagrog as well, the only difference would be that I'd only 2/3 fill the filter with them and I would put a sponge pre-filter on the intake and leave the filter floss out. The advantage of having a pre-filter is that it is really easy to do weekly maintenance, and you can leave the filter media cleaning for a lot longer. The disadvantage is that you have another bit of kit in the tank.

Eheim do a good pre-filter (part 4004320) or you can make one from a foam sheet/block. Details here <Eheim 2211 weak flow and making noise. help please!? | UK Aquatic Plant Society>, although since I wrote that I've started putting double taps on both the intake and outlet hoses, partially to make cleaning the hoses easier (I make sure each run of piping isn't more than twice as long as the cleaning brush).

I use one of these for cleaning - "13mm Dia. Burette Long Cleaning Brush Glass" from here: <LABWARE, Glassware items in Laboratory store on eBay!>.

cheers Darrel
Thanks Mate, nice one.

Back