• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Planaria in Shrimp only tank.

bogwood

Planaria are not new to me. Ive had them from time to time and have always managed to contain them naturally with fish, and reduced Feeding.

However, i have them in a shrimp only Tank, which basically has had plants,substart and wood, for the last two months.
Looking on line ive come up with three options;Planacor. Planaria Zero. No Planaria. None of which ive used before.

Im interested to hear from those who have used them in CRS tanks.
What success. Any side effects, and which worked best for you.?????

I'd be very careful using No Planaria, as it can cause deformities in shrimp. One of my berried females died with a cracked and deformed exosketon and I'm sure it was caused by this product. It didn't even kill all of the planaria anyway!

Panacur always worked for me, dead in 24-48 hours!
Thanks paulo. thats good to hear.
Is the dosing straight foward, If not, What would you recommend.

No planaria has worked for me in the past..... Can recommend.
Thanks nduli,

I'd be very careful using No Planaria, as it can cause deformities in shrimp. One of my berried females died with a cracked and deformed exosketon and I'm sure it was caused by this product. It didn't even kill all of the planaria anyway!

Cheers matty.
A little worrying to hear, i will bear this in mind.
Will see what others say..
Panacur for me too, wiped them out in one day with zero harm to any shrimp or fish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Alastair.
Another success with Panacur, good to hear.

Thanks paulo. thats good to hear. Is the dosing straight foward, If not, What would you recommend.
Very straight forward, I purchased mine in liquid form so was easy for me, just 0.1ml per 10 litres.

I used No planaria and while it killed the planaria it also killed the snails and about 50% of my rcs :( I was advised it might have been due to an interaction with something else in the tank but there was nothing except inert gravel, play sand and plants in there. I think if the need arises in future I'll try panacur too!

Viv

I used No planaria and while it killed the planaria it also killed the snails and about 50% of my rcs :( I was advised it might have been due to an interaction with something else in the tank but there was nothing except inert gravel, play sand and plants in there. I think if the need arises in future I'll try panacur too!

Viv
Hi.
Thanks for sharing your experience,and sorry to hear of your losses.
I was about to use NO planaria, then i thought lets see how others have got on.
I accept, that we all have different success rates with whats available out there, but it does help in making a choice to hear of others have got on.
Ive just ordered the Panacur, so i will report in due course how it goes.
cheers

Viv
I'm glad it's not just me that had a problem with it. I will just put up with the planaria in future. If you don't feed too much and do water changes then they won't become too much of a problem.

My rule of thumb is 0.1ml per 10 liters! You won't need more than that, if you do its better to dose twice than suffer the consequences.

This stuff is really strong and thinking 1ml is not a problem is what gets the shrimp killed in the first place, when I read about it a couple of years back all the recommendations were to be on the low side, I see people dosing the quantities indicated for a 100l tank on a 20l tank and then complain all the shrimp died, just beware!

I say again 0.1ml per 10l of tank water!

Back