• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lilaeopsis brasiliensis & Hemianthus Callitrichoides

jadastill

Seedling
Hey guys.

I'm nearing my 50g tear down date (feb 2nd) and really just need some clarification on HC cuba and bms in terms of ferts. My lights and co2 are sorted but I'm unsure of how best to deliver nourishment to these plants. I have the choice of either going with a liquid fert or root tabs and I'm wondering which will be best for these plants?

Err... can we get real? A 50 gallon tank? If you do not want to add powders, well, make best efforts to get over that feeling as quickly as possible. It will be to your benefit and to the benefit of your plants because there is a high probability that you have too much light, which means you're going to need a lot of everything to avoid total meltdown.

I suppose if you like spending 100X more money than necessary then sure, go ahead and buy any of those products, or just buy an EI starter pack from our sponsors and dose as suggested and save big £££.

Cheers,

I was thinking of tpn+ or tropica specialized feriliser. which has npk. However, I will have fish after a month or so. 10 Harlequin rasbora 5 neons and a trio of apistogramma.

When the fish go in I'm wondering if npk will still be needed and if the fish mulm/waste will mean I need to switch from tpn+ to something else.

Also, should I use a mix of both root tabs and tpn+? say tpn at the recommended dosage just once a week?

I was thinking of tpn+ or tropica specialized feriliser. which has npk
Yes, TPN or whatever they are calling it now costs 100X more than it should. Goodness, you can even fabricate your own TPN+ knockoff by simply following the instructions on => James' Planted Tank - All In One Solution

When the fish go in I'm wondering if npk will still be needed
Even asking such a question for a CO2 injected tank is grounds for dismissal.

if the fish mulm/waste will mean I need to switch from tpn+ to something else.
Fish waste and plant waste will mean you need to change a lot of water regularly.

Also, should I use a mix of both root tabs and tpn+?
Again, the typical root tab has the same ingredients that you can by for 100X less, which you can then add to your substrate.

say tpn at the recommended dosage just once a week?
Again, this is what makes commercial fertilizer products such a raw deal. In a CO2 enriched tank, you really need to dose 2X or 3X what the bottle suggests.

Cheers,

Yes, TPN or whatever they are calling it now costs 100X more than it should. Goodness, you can even fabricate your own TPN+ knockoff by simply following the instructions on => James' Planted Tank - All In One Solution

Even asking such a question for a CO2 injected tank is grounds for dismissal.

Dismissal from what? I can't stand when people look down their noses at someone who is simply looking for advice. You're such a...

I was gonna say something rude there but instead I'll just take your advice and ask that as a moderator you dismiss me and remove my membership from the forum. ASAP!

JAD NOOOOO STAAAAYYYY!!!!

It's just ceg trying to save the world of noobies from themselves.
A little search around before posting something is always a good idea.

Hang around buddy youll enjoy it here.

Its easy to take CEG's advice to heart, its just how he posts replys. Once you get over the initial shock you learn to just filter out the facts and ignore any insults.
All of of us on here would advise dry powders as they are the best value for money and if you go EI you wont have nutrient deficiencies. They are the best option in terms of ferts you could have.

Its easy to take CEG's advice to heart, its just how he posts replys. Once you get over the initial shock you learn to just filter out the facts and ignore any insults.

All of of us on here would advise dry powders as they are the best value for money and if you go EI you wont have nutrient deficiencies. They are the best option in terms of ferts you could have.

Thanks. I went through something similar on a popular bonsai enthusiasts forum. Where in I bought two bonsai trees on impulse then joined a forum to get advice and was berated because I didn't have the trees in the soil the experts recommend. Quite dismissive because i was a "newbie." Similar jibes etc I'm willing to learn but if you have moderators who feel the need to insult and insult on such a regular basis where one needs to learn to look past the insults, then this place isn't for me. Hence my new registration at theplantedtank

I appreciate the work and effort you guys have put in here lots of knowledge to be found along with some inspiration but your moderators are representative so I'll email the owner or relevant mod once this is posted. Because in my view insults isn't something a "newbie" should need to get used to, especially from a mod.

jad Clive means nothing by it, he is just trying to help, although he is right this question gets asked all the time and some reading of other posts in the forum you would have come to the conclusion that you need a lot of extra ferts when you dose CO2 into the tank, I have tidied up the topic as comments made after that were totally unnecessary. Every member that comes to the forum should always read the articles on the site take in all the information and then asks question if in doubt about anything:

Setting up a “higher” tech planted tank | UK Aquatic Plant Society
The Estimative Index (EI) Dosing with Dry Salts | UK Aquatic Plant Society
CO2 Measurement Using A Drop Checker | UK Aquatic Plant Society

Don't take that to heart and also the written word sometimes can be misleading.

Back