• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Under The Mangrove Tree.

Thank you for the compliment nath. I'm not sure these rams are as sensitive as people make out tbh. Just keeping things consistent seems to be the way forward. Saying that they are in ro water. I do dose some np, but only a couple of times a week. This is via the nature Aquario range, which is pretty concentrated stuff. The tank is also well stocked and has a nutrient rich substrate, the grobeams aren't that high light either, so the tank doesn't need to be overdosed.

As for parameters, I only test tds, and that ranges between 150 and 220 at the moment.

just a few pics from tonight...i'm really enjoying these rams in the tank. They are still leaving the shrimp alone. There are even baby shrimp in the tank that aren't being touched

here's the male, he's hanging in this area a lot, so here's hoping for babies.
8383842675_409540cb9f_z.jpg
mangrove2 by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

the femail isn't far behind him
8384928810_01b291f98b_z.jpg
mangrove1 by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

and heres a token pic of the microphyllum, this is a really nice delicate plant, one of my faves at the moment.
8383841021_d8583a4967_z.jpg
mangrove3 by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

Stunning fish and great photos Ian.

What do you feed the Rams, anything special or do they just take dried and frozen foods?

Cheerio,

Thanks guys...

@ ady, they get tetra prima. I swear by this stuff for fish. It seems to colour fish up really well. I know of people who feed discus and other colourful fish this stuff. They also get live food once a week.

@ hydrophyte, thank you for the compliment, they are quite easy to photograph as they don't move much! Lol

Thanks guys...

@ ady, they get tetra prima. I swear by this stuff for fish. It seems to colour fish up really well. I know of people who feed discus and other colourful fish this stuff. They also get live food once a week.

Yeah I use tetra prima, it's a great food and likewise I think it enhances colours. I'm fancying some Rams again now, just the last ones would take nothing but live foods which was a bit if a pita......they are lovely feature fish though, and well worth it, especially those electric blues!

Nice shots of the rams mate. I nearly couldn't believe it when I looked at the start of the journal to see it started 4 months ago. You've done an amazing job of keeping it looking this good for this long. Can't wait to see the final photos.

Cheers guys!
@ Tim, I might be leaving this for a little longer now, what I'm thinking is that I'm gonna remove the rotala from the back and just replace with more helferi. The rotala has been trimmed and trimmed now, so without completely replanting and starting again, I think I'll replace it.

@ hydrophyte, thank you for the comment!

@ Iain, thank you and I haven't forgot the ranunculus, give me a shout when you get back from aus!

@ stu, it will be staying for a bit longer, and yes I will keep hold of the rams.

@ dan, thank you for the compliment! That's the best part of a journal IMO, as you can see how far a scape comes over the months.

This journal will now come to an end, I have really enjoyed this scape, but it's time to move onwards and upwards. I have a new TMC 60 signature coming on Thursday, and I have sold this tank. I stripped it down today and have opened another tank to keep hold of the fish. I'm undecided whether to keep hold of the fish or start again from scratch. I have rescued most of the shrimp. Got all the otos too.

Managed to get all this out

8427839510_9e34fec1ae_z.jpg
image by Ian Holdich, on Flickr
Believe it or not this came out of 3 pots! I am keeping hold of it as I may use some in the new scape

Here's some more I may use (Iain, I have saved some ranunculus for you)

8427839462_3489569216_z.jpg

Bye bye tank...
8427839652_e36f30fdcb_z.jpg

:eek: new tank!

Thats some plants there Ian, wow. Keep them rams, they are exceptional. I saw some in my LFS and was tempted, but heard they were quite tempremental, whereas you have stated they aren't.

Definitely one to try for me in the future.
:)

@ whitey, cheers mate, I was gonna treat myself to an NA, and still will. These TMC tanks are just to good to pass up on though and it's optiwhite, and this old ehiem isn't. You really can see the difference with optiwhite. I'm moving house in the next year or so, so, they'll be room for a 120, but don't tell the mrs.

@ Iain, thank you. I did have the idea and doing what ed does and just taking the plants out and selling them al for say £50 as they come.

@ Tim, thank you for the comments in this journal, they're much appreciated.If there's any left ill give you a shout.

Back