• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

attempt at aquascaping

Cristian Savin

Hi everyone I decided to start the journal of my two nanos i've got at the moment
The first and oldest setup is an Arcadia 35l tank, 2 arc pod x 11w ,sometimes when heavy planted even 3x 11w, pressurized CO2 + atomizer, fertilizers complete range easylife EI technique, filtration Eheim 2213 + hang on filter used as surface skimmer as main purpose.
The current setup is an iwagumi style with slate rock as hardscape, substrate mixture of ADA amazonia +colombo Flora+ power sand special ADA all washed, dried and reused from a previous setup. Plants Hemianthus callitrichoides cuba, pogostemon helferi, heteranthera zosterifolia. I used HZ just to start off with but it will be replaced, not decided yet what is gonna take its place.

CPS_2526.jpg

CPS_2545.jpg

The second tank is an Juwel rekord 60 slightly modified, light 4x 24w T5 only 2 running at the moment 7 hours/day, CO2 pressurized DIY FE, same fertilizing as for the other tank easylife EI, filtration Eheim 130 pro+ hang on filter . Substrate Flora base topped with colombo, hardscape local rock and wood.
CPS_2500.jpg

CPS_2504.jpg

CPS_2541.jpg

CPS_2633.jpg

I'm struggling with an algae issue at the moment some green hair and diatoms but both tanks are quite young and i'm sure i'l manage to get rid of algae pretty soon, still need some CUC to add to the existing ones.
I know is not a very detailed presentation, but i'm running out of inspiration at the moment so just ask and/or suggest and i'll be here willing to answer.

thanks for the kind replies
- yes Mark there is livestock, in the small arcadia tank i've got lampeye killies only 3 left from 12 initially, the hang on filter sucked most of them in the first night. The other tank hosts a school
of ember tetra, few otos and amano shrimps. Both tanks however need more livestock and this weekend i hope i'm going to add more amano shrimps plus few otocinclus and hope i can find some neritina snail to help to get rid of algae and keep it clean in the future.
@jack The arcadia is L45-W28-H35 cm ,is an old tank, i was thinking to replace it with an optiwhite cube but then i said that is still looking good so i'll keep it for a bit longer :)

same 35l Arcadia another setup
CPS_1054.jpg

iriatherina werneri loved these fish
CPS_1079.jpg

DSC_0824.jpg

Sweet looking good Mate. Thanks fire the reply. I had the smaller version for my jungle nano! Had it a while but changed tanks. Missing having one small nano so need to build myself a new optiwhite soon :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

That's looking awesome. Quite fancy getting a nano for my first proper attempt at scaping. Good job so far!

iriatherina werneri loved these fish

These fish are beautiful mate. I have never seen them before. Do they have a common name as well ? And as far as the tanks go, they look brilliant. I dont think you do yourself justice when you title this "attempt at aquascaping" you have not attempted, you have succeeded :)

These fish are beautiful mate. I have never seen them before. Do they have a common name as well ? And as far as the tanks go, they look brilliant. I dont think you do yourself justice when you title this "attempt at aquascaping" you have not attempted, you have succeeded :)

Threadfin rainbows, most shops have them you just never notice them chucked in with something else :)

Reactions: tim
WOW ! I have heard of and seen threadfin rainbows lots of times. I just didn't recognise them because those are so stunning ! I have never seen them with such magnificent colouration. At the risk of offending (and that is NOT intended), is the image photoshopped at all ? If you can get them to colour up like that then I will seriously consider some for my tank :)

All depends on lighting,food and water, I don't think the pic has be through PS but if it has it has only had some contrast adjustment.

Soft water with PH of 6-7 does them good and some good quality frozen food fed regularly will colour them up nicely live food like bloodwoorm and daphnia being even better :)

In shops they are generally kept in the general community systems with a high ph and hardness and only fed flake so never look as good as they can.

Thanks for the info Danny I will have to look around for some.

thank you all again for replies
the Threadfin rainbows are indeed not so colourful in shops and the reason was perfectly explained by Danny, I was feeding them with artemia and red ocean plankton, another thing i'd like to
add to what Danny said is the temperature which was about 28-29 C degrees, as far as i know they thrive and breed in higher range of temperature. PH of 6-7 but they do well even below 6.
However that pic had a bit of post processing work done like contrast, increased exposure and i think i increased the colour saturation a little bit.
however when they're in rut the males show everything they have and that's a nice spectacle.

Hi everyone, I thought I would post a quick update
Unfortunately the small 35l tank is closed down now since i've started a new 240l from allpondsolutions, but the the Juwel is still running and is doing fine i'm really pleased with how is coming along so far.
I've managed to get over the algae problem from the beginning and now i'm just doing basic maintenance (trimming, water change, fertilizing)
There are some recent pics which i hope you will enjoy :)
CPS_2763_zpsed016e48.jpg

CPS_2780_zps52fc44ed.jpg

CPS_2776_zps52239973.jpg

CPS_2769_zps1ce20338.jpg

CPS_2764_zps8725cfcc.jpg

CPS_2759_zpsa235d9d9.jpg

really sorry for the photos quality, i don't know what's happening cos in my comp ,it's all nice and sharp but here seems to be quite unclear, blurred somehow, probably the conversion RAW -JPEG plus the hosting website,hmm who knows ?!?

Back