• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Itchy fingers?

krazypara3165

Does this.happen much? I feel myself looking at my planted diiscus tank and wanting to rip everything up. To be fair the scape that is there now is not much of a scape, as the plants were just thrown in to see whish faired better at higher temps. At the moment its staying as it is as my discus need to settle in properly. Its frustrating though as im desperate to start my first proper scape.

I envision two islands with a wood baised centerpiece surrounded immediatly with stem plants followed by sume small bushy type plants and finished off with some hairgrass. Although im undecided to leave the space surrounding the islands with blach sand which would give it a better sense of perspective, or if I should cover it all with the remaining hairgrass?

Also undecided if I should cover the back wall with stem plants for more cover?

Go for a full on hairgrass lawn!
You can play around with stems and satisfy your itchy fingers, but I'd deffo also recommend attaching loads of ferns to the wood - bolbitis n microsorum, low maintenance but they add a sense of balance and stability to any scape, particularly as stems grow in and out and what looks great today needs choppin tomorrow. In the background you could also check out tall strap like leaves of Cryptocoryne balansae, aponogeton or echinodorus uruguayensis.

For best results with getting a full on lawn with hairgrass you might consider a nature soil type of substrate, basically more clay based than sand based - create turf.

Believe it or not, ive already got a full on hairgrass lawn, or im pretty sure its hairgrass? Its sent runners everywhere and spread like wildfire. The only problem is that I feed beefheart 5 times a day and it tends to get caught up in the plants. I shall look into the plants youve reccomended, as im trying to keep within a south america theme (aside from an anubis from my old tank and a java fern (i think) that seems to of appeared from roots that were on my bogwood) but I will look into the plants youve reccomended! Cheers!

Back