• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Hi all,

Thomas and Gareth got me thinking about 'tension' and focal points, so with that in mind here's the latest layout.

You may be able to tell I've moved the main stone to the left a little, and the left stone has come forward and is reversed, creating the 'tension'.

As always, I'd love to hear what you all think. :)

8392427086_7bc0d19867_o.jpg
iwagumi17 by George Farmer, on Flickr

Love it George!!! do you have any plants in mind for this yet? The layout looks so natural already, definitely going to be a show stopper!
I'm probably 3steps ahead but have you decided what sort of co2 diffuser you will be using on this size tank?

Love it George!!! do you have any plants in mind for this yet? The layout looks so natural already, definitely going to be a show stopper!
I'm probably 3steps ahead but have you decided what sort of co2 diffuser you will be using on this size tank?
Thanks, Gary. :)

I'll be using inline CO2 (Up Aqua), probably into the filter inlet to prevent visible CO2 bubbles in the water column. Also using inline heating. I can't stand equipment on view if I can help it, especially in a minimalist aquascape. I have a gUSH drop checker that hooks onto the outside of the tank too, which is pretty cool.

And so I've definitely decided I like these rocks, so it's time to put them away and play with some wood! I can always replicate any of the layouts you can see fairly easily using the photos.

Cheers,
George

Great to see you back in business, George! The layout with petrified wood looks fabulous. I think it will be a real stunner planted with UG and moss on the rocks. Iwagumis can look a bit sterile sometimes, but with mossy rocks I think you could achieve a more organic and wild atmosphere.

I'm also looking forward to see it with manzanita. The tank dimensions are perfect for a dramatic ryoboku

Don't put the rock away, the petrified wood would look great with manzanita.....:)

George! I like them all. Are you pushing boundaries?...No. Do you want to push boundaries?....probably not on your return from duty.

Break your self in. Add to your already prolific library of scapes. Improve on things that you might have missed on similar layouts.

It's not all about setting out to re-write the rule book, or trying to conjure up a new way of scaping. Most things have been done by Amano.

Improve on what you already know.

will be watching this journal as very interested how it goes and love them stones, great work so far :thumbup: i have lots to learn from you so keep us informed

Dean

I am sorry to say that, but i am not in love with that front left stone. Too big, somehow break the balance, however just like with most hardscape i can imagine this with healthy plants and will love the result. I liked better your earlier options, but i do look forward to the wood ideas. Good to see you are not stick to one thing. I would not like to force my ideas, i may would see this stone or the wood in your next scape, to give something else than we've seen before.

But i do enjoy the variations :)

12 or 14 are still my faves.
Like Mark said, this ones for you, no need to earn its keep, just do something your happy with.....the maintenance etc on scree you've said was most enjoyable for you, so it stands to reason with no constraints you'd go for something that suits your needs, you've earned it!

12 or 14 are still my faves.
Like Mark said, this ones for you, no need to earn its keep, just do something your happy with.....the maintenance etc on scree you've said was most enjoyable for you, so it stands to reason with no constraints you'd go for something that suits your needs, you've earned it!

Second that.

I think the latest hardscape layout is really good, can't help but think it doesn't create as much depth as the ones before though due to the large stone front left. But that's without plants.

This is my opinion through a photographers eye,the scape you had before was a nicer composition,this one to me is more spread around,the gaps are too wide me thinks,my eye is always drawn straight to the stone on the left,which could detract from the rest of the scape once grown in,BUT having said all that planting and type of plants used can make all the difference and give a different look again,it,s nice for us to all have an opinion but at the end of the day it only you who can decide what you want yourself and visitors to see,I'm sure with the amount of stunning work you have done over last 12 years and experience you have gained you will come up with a another winner,
John.

Hi guys,

Thanks again all for the thought-provoking feedback. It's really interesting to hear the various opinions. Although I have my own perspective, I think it's a valuable exercise to open up the lines of communication with fellow aquascapers. One of the greatest things about aquascaping is that we never know it all and there's always so much more to learn, from our own experiences and others. :)

In other news I've been playing with some Manzanita Wood and I have to say I pretty chuffed with this layout. It's out of my comfort zone too. :)

8393791667_d391a3a413_o.jpg
manzi1 by George Farmer, on Flickr

8393791839_4745b4411d_o.jpg
manzi above by George Farmer, on Flickr

8393795621_3c1b1531bb_o.jpg
mazni left by George Farmer, on Flickr

8394879326_d85faf11e6_o.jpg
manzi right by George Farmer, on Flickr

8394875588_54840792ab_o.jpg
manzi situ by George Farmer, on Flickr

I'm thinking LOADS of moss, really short grasses (such Eleocharis 'mini' and parvula), and maybe some short/fine texture stems... :)

Hard to believe the tank size is only 60x45x30cm feels so much bigger.

Really looks like roots wrapped around a rock formation. Whats the substrate George ?

Now this I do like George,it has a wild feel to it,it actually reminds me of some of the small outcrops of gorse on the Yorkshire dales,

Now get planting mate.

Great! George.

Reminiscent of Stu's layout.

An intricate style of planting, with shorter varieties will suit this. The less plant species the better in my opinion.

Manzanita really is a great hardscape material, and can often take the hard work out of creating layouts.

Back