• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Koralia's

martinmjr62

Morning all, fitted a koralia 900 to my Rio 180 yesterday and it transformed the the flow and co2 distribution dramatically, so much so that I had plants pearling for the first time in 9 weeks.
My question is this, do you leave it running constantly or just with the co2 / lighting period. The reason I ask is that with the 2 filters running as well the fish are swimming around a lot quicker all the time and I didn't know whether it would be better to give them a bit of slacktime overnight until the co2 cuts in at 2 pm.
Co2/light cycle is9 hours ending at 10 pm so the koralia would be off for16 hours
Any thoughts/ experience on this one

Cheers
Martin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have mine on the same timer as my solenoid using an adapter

Cheers guys. Looks like I'll be putting mine on a timer. I wasn't sure if doing this mucks around with the balance of the tank going from steady to fast. I don't mind leaving it on all the time but I just thought it would give the fish a break from the fast current although the panda's and otto's seem to be enjoying it.

How do you find the flow in your 180? I'm thinking of getting a koralia for my 180 but can't decide what to get. the 900 or the 1600! Do u think the 1600 would be to much movement for fish?

Hi I'm running a Fluval 405 and a Eheim 2213 both external. The original internal jewel filter has been taken out The combined flow from these was pretty good so I only went for the 900. It depends on what filter you're running and how good the flow is already. If you have the internal still fitted the possibly go for the 1600 but looking at the flow in mine I'd say that the 900 should be enough.make sure that when you fit the koralia you keep the flow going in the same direction as the existing filter or you will get a problem with the 2 flows fighting each other.mines on the back wall in the centre at the top under the spray bars so everything's pushing forward and down the front glass

Cheers
Martin

Forgot to say that I've got mine on a timer so it's on for 1 hour before and after CO2 injection

Cheers
Martin

I've put an air pump tube through the grill and during the night use the koralia as a turbo charged airstone (air pump comes on with a timer)- so flow during the day, and turbo charged oxygenator through the night! The flow drops to negligible but the the effect on oxygenation is pretty amazing and creates millions of micro bubbles of oxygen, I put it on before lights out as I like to see the fish playing round in the bubbles!

I just bought the 1600 for the Lido 120 and it's doing wonders for the flow. The fish seem happy enough to swim in front of it and haven't shown signs of stress.
My only problem is the really low buzzing sound. It's annoying the heck out of me. Even cleaned it and applied some Vaseline to the shaft (Oi Oi). At lasts it's quieter than before.
I'm still running the internal with an Eheim pro 200 external.

Hmm, am running a fluval 205 instead of the internal, flows not great with the 205, just don't want to get the 1600 and find it way to strong, ya know.
So linkinruss you have 3 different "sources" (lack of a better word) of flow? And not finding it to much?

A 205 on its own is quite a low turnover. My 405 was on the low side for the 10x rule. Although its rated at 1300l/h it probably only does 850/900l/h with all the media in it. The Eheim 2213 I'm running is rated at 440l/h and this will also be down as well to say 250-300l/h, so adding them both together would give me around 1200l/h. Adding the 900 koralia puts this up to around 2000 l/h so this is slightly above the 1800 needed on the 10x rule (180 litre tank)
It's not just about the flow though as I feel the added benefit of having 2 filters can only help with keeping the tank cleaner. Running a 205 only with a 1600 koralia would technically give enough flow but would it be enough filtration

Cheers
Martin

Hmm, am running a fluval 205 instead of the internal, flows not great with the 205, just don't want to get the 1600 and find it way to strong, ya know.
So linkinruss you have 3 different "sources" (lack of a better word) of flow? And not finding it to much?
well the fish don't seem to be struggling when all three sources are running.
I've placed the Hydor on a timer with the co2. It's off during the night and up to lunch.
Think it'd be overkill and to exhausting for fish if left on 24/7.
I bought it to keep up the flow (10x flow rule) and to blow the co2 around those hard reaching places.

Yea I think I will go for the 1600, iv read these haydors aren't as aggressive as a normal powerhead. Thanks all for the advice :)

Back