• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Discus in planted tank ?

alzak

Do anyone keep some Discus in planted tank without any major problems ?
I came accross an idea to buy discus from local breeder ...
I know this is not the easiest fish to keep and require some special care this is why I would like to buy HMA filter, person who I would like to buy fish from use filter like that without RO and he do not have any problems ...

can be done. i have 8 juvinile discus in a 285l planted aquarium. some key points would be to start off with good quality fish from a good breeder. (plenty of breeders on bidka forum) another point would be to keep up with good husbandry plenty of water changes ect. i do 100l every other day. also i would reccomend sand as a substrate as its easier to clean and theres no gaps for detrius to get caught up in. finally i would reccomend that if you dont use ro (i dont) theat your fish are not raised in ro water.

Hi

The guy who I want to buy fish from use just HMA filter so I do plan to buy 3 stage filter as well ... I do 50% water change once a week do You think this will be enough ?
I am thinking about 5-6 young ones in my 4ft 240l tank ...?

A hma filter should be fine and you can have upto around 7 fish so thats fine too. I would reccomend fully grown fish as they are easier to keep. If you want juviniles to keep them growing and to prevent stunting you will a lot more water changes than that. Mkst keepers reccomend 50% a day, although personally I just do a large one 2-3 times a week. With younger ones you will also have to feed more.

I am not yet 100% sure on fish selection my GF like discus and I want some angels buy I am struggling to fibd a local angel breeder where I have two breeders of Discus around me ...
I will be going for as young fish as possible just want to see them grow in my tank...

I would coose adult fish were it me.
Already grown,mean's no frequent feeding's necessary to achieve proper development./growth ,and consequently less need for frequent water changes.
Adult fish can get by on one or two feeding's a day, and once weekly water change.
I raised a group of these fish from juveniles around two inches,to adult size and frequent feeding's to prevent stunting the fish, meant frequent water changes to prevent from fouling the water with waste.

Talking about frequent feedeng how frequent do You mean ? I am away for 10 hours a day so no chance to feed fish in this time ...

For now I have cousin stopping with me for another few weeks so if I get them "soon" there should be no problem but adult fish are out of question for me ...

I fed the young fish four times a day with autofeeder (eheim) while I was away at work ,and Purigen in filter until I could get home to perform near 70% water change.

To be honest IMO hardwater Discus are no where near as nice as the original soft water strain. All you need is an RO unit which can be bough for as little as £40 and you are good to go, Just use pure RO with them.

Have a look at these guys RO units, great value and I have heard some very good things about them and the quality of them.

Colinswaterproducts RO Units

I do not want to use RO due to water waste from this filter... And discus are much weaker when they are rised and breed in RO water ...
I may invest in automatic feeder ...

Back