• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

3 Nano 'heterogeneous' Triptych - The end.

Suppose your existing filters will up for grabs soon?
Yes mate, I will make a sale thread now actually :) and I have thought about harlequins but im dead set on rasboras for all three :) just managed to get some red/pink ramshorn snails too :)

LINDY.. thanks for the mini pelia.. I will be trying this out in my middle tank just to the right where I removed some of my cuba for my wabi-kusa.. Here is a photo of the mini pelia.. hopefully it will grow and get bigger :) never had mini pelia as I have never been able to get hold of it for a good price, luckily it was free! paying it forward really is great. everyone on here should do it :)

8386515230_442b31e3c4.jpg
2013-01-16 10.09.51Jack Dicker

im thinking about sticking it in that little gap there too the right... What you think?

8385462273_62ddaa5653.jpg
2013-01-16 10.31.32Jack Dicker

Reactions: tim
this is the far right tank... as the people that have read my journal know I have never been to happy with it... now its time for a drastic change.. I need something to give it abit of life.. I dont want a huge bit of wood as this will destroy the iwagumi proportion... I was thinking a nice sized rock covered in weeping moss pushed right up into the far right corner, again like the central tank but covered completely.. any opinions would be great.. When you ave three you always have a bad egg.. thats what my mum said to me and my two brothers when we were kids anyway lol

8385487879_9808fafecf.jpg
2013-01-16 10.46.56Jack Dicker

Like it lots mate coming on great good thing about nano tanks don't need the removal van when you want to change something!Thanks for the carbonated water info putting it into practice will see what happens.Cheers mark

No worries mate, the triptych has pro's and cons, although its a great project, it really is a project.. for the money I have spent I could have a very decent high tech tank with easy by now. its the time and effort that needs to go into them you see.. but saying that I wouldnt change from having anything else yet. I feel its only just begun :) (cutting that riccia is insane lol)

Hi
LINDY.. thanks for the mini pelia.. I will be trying this out in my middle tank just to the right where I removed some of my cuba for my wabi-kusa.. Here is a photo of the mini pelia.. hopefully it will grow and get bigger :) never had mini pelia as I have never been able to get hold of it for a good price, luckily it was free! paying it forward really is great. everyone on here should do it :)
I tie my pelia on with jewelry making clear nylon thread and grow it on mesh and lava rock. It doesn't look nice in its individual fronds but looks great as a clump or mat. Just don't make the layer thick that you tie on or it will die underneath. to trim I just pull bits off with tweezers so you don't get loads of bits floating around. Just be careful when pulling bits off as it's quite brittle and big chunks can break away. It looks especialy nice tied to wood as it looks like tree canopy.

UPDATE of spec in bold, as you all know originally this triptych was a walstad experiment, I had fun with this but reached my limits so decided to get flow invoved.. here is my update of spec..

Set up:
Tanks: Self built 30cm 6mm cubed optiwhite tanks, with White smoked film to the back panes. These were the VERY first optiwhite tanks I ever made so as a professional I kept them for myself and labelled them as practice tanks. Everyone has to begin somewhere right?
Lighting: 100cm Boyu, 2x 21w T5's & 1x 21w blue marine T5. (one bulb is currently taken out for my low-tech design) UPDATE ON MY LIGHTING - NOW I only use 1x 24w t5 tube for a 7hr photo period for the whole of the triptych ( get the blue on when im feeling 'party time'
Filtration: 3x Eheim 2213's with 13mm glassware lily pipes all with clear tubing and single taps.
Heating: None
Substrate: 9l ADA Amazonia Aquasoil, 5l EBI Gold shrimp substrate capped on top of ADA. Pulp from filters around the house.
Hardscape: Dragon stone
Flora: riccia fluitans (from bene), Pogostemon helferi (Donated extremely generously by one of te contestants of AL) & eleocharis parvula, bacopa, peacock moss (from Tim), weeping moss, mini pelia (from Lindy)
Fauna: None as of yet, although shall be ordering chilli rasboras (a few random fish to get started with)
Cabinet: Self built and painted to suit surrounding (black metal) Moved cabinet under the tele so now I have something to watch when the mrs is watching x-factor...

VIDEO UPDATE,

I have decided to make a video on my phone so nothing great! Thought I would do this so you could see the tanks working together to form the 'triptych' feel.. I have been doing some planning regarding the far right tank so my ideas and photos will be following this week.. Im thinking having a corner feature to balance out the tanks overall.. Anyway, let me know what you think of the video. Happy to recieve advice, tips and opinions as alway

PS. after watching this back myself, I have realised how important it is I get off my backside and get some fish! :lol:

Nice little vid that mate pretty amazing growth from the Cuba I have to say though did you watch the vid back cause you got fish in all 3 tanks mate lol
haha! yes i know I have 5 fish overall, spread across the tanks, I have had these for about 2 years so cant really bring myself to get rid of them! lol I meant my rasboras! :lol:

Reactions: tim
Just read the whole thread Jack, love the progression of these tanks, they look fab mate. Just found that fert on eBay too :) Just setting up another nano myself and I like the idea of the carbonated water, think I'll try that. This thread has given me so many ideas!

Just read the whole thread Jack, love the progression of these tanks, they look fab mate. Just found that fert on eBay too :) Just setting up another nano myself and I like the idea of the carbonated water, think I'll try that. This thread has given me so many ideas!
So pleased Mate, great to hear people are liking my journal. I'm happy my third tank is doing so well. There are specific things that I'm happy with and proud that I have accomplished. Growth of Cuba and Pogostemon for example, and the conditions of my dragon stone is immaculate (not at first) so overall pleased. But having three really does cost a lot.. I just had to fork out for 3 filtration set ups.. At least it means when I sell I have some cash to do a nice big project :) ONE TANK project lol.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Problem... It seems that one of my filters is not as powerful as the other, I am getting film layer on the surface of the water column and there spears to be no movement on the top. All my filters are eheims with the same piping and same lily pipe set ups so why is one less powerful than the other.. How can I stop this from becoming a major issue with flow?

Problem... It seems that one of my filters is not as powerful as the other, I am getting film layer on the surface of the water column and there spears to be no movement on the top. All my filters are eheims with the same piping and same lily pipe set ups so why is one less powerful than the other.. How can I stop this from becoming a major issue with flow?

Could be down to having slightly more media in the low flow one? Could be slightly dirtier, could be the impeller is not as lubricated as the other two.

Either way, it'll have plenty in it to run a 30 cube! :)

Also jack, dont feel like you have to have it rammed to the hilt with media. Your bioload is virtually none existent compared to other setups on here.

Take a handful of media out, it boosts the flow loads. I did it with my 2078. But rather about 6 handfuls out of the eheim substrat pro and the eheim flat square type.

Flow improved dramatically, even though the 6 handfuls was only about 1/6th of the tray. I left the other 5/6ths.

Also jack, dont feel like you have to have it rammed to the hilt with media. Your bioload is virtually none existent compared to other setups on here.

Take a handful of media out, it boosts the flow loads. I did it with my 2078. But rather about 6 handfuls out of the eheim substrat pro and the eheim flat square type.

Flow improved dramatically, even though the 6 handfuls was only about 1/6th of the tray. I left the other 5/6ths.
Thanks Mate but the filter isn't even half full.. I didn't fill it because as u said my bioload is a lot lower.. I'll take a photo tomo but all filters are just under half way with ceramic rings and alfagrog.. It's a shame because it must be something with the filter as the flow truly is bad. My HOB filters were more powerful, that's how bad the 2213 output is.. Any ideas?

Back