• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Planaria in Shrimp only tank.

Hi,
How much of an issue are Planaria to shrimp?
I have a few in my CRS nano, only ever see two or three when feeding the shrimp. I've often thought about trying to get rid if them, but the shrimp are breeding and the Planaria aren't increasing in numbers....can they co exist?
Cheers
Ady

How much of an issue are Planaria to shrimp?
I have seen planaria try to cling on to shrimp at feeding time, if they can cling on not sure if they can do damage, get under shell or something, some people debate if they actually kill the shrimp or just go for it when its dead. To be safe its better to get rid of them!

I see, I'm thinking unless they start increasing in numbers ill leave alone for now. Happy shrimp and breeding so doesn't seem to be an issue, and I don't want to upset anything.....mind you they must be getting food from somewhere and I only feed the shrimp every 2-3days, mmm.....

I see, I'm thinking unless they start increasing in numbers ill leave alone for now. Happy shrimp and breeding so doesn't seem to be an issue, and I don't want to upset anything.....mind you they must be getting food from somewhere and I only feed the shrimp every 2-3days, mmm.....
Sounds reasonable.
Mine appeared in a new set up, with no livestock,and no food. which had been maturing for 2 months.
As the ADA substrat. wood and plants were all new, i can only assume they were on the new plants.

On adding the shrimps they started appearing. so hence my decision to deal with them sooner rather than later.

Does any one know if panacur kill's nematodes? As i use no planaria to good effect but it doesn't seem to affect the nematodes.

Im getting confused with whats what. What are the orangey/brown ones called? They dont have the 'arrow' shaped head of standard planaria, and have a sucker at one end. Reminds me of a leech. Swims in a rapid 'S' motion.

Cheers,

Im getting confused with whats what. What are the orangey/brown ones called? They dont have the 'arrow' shaped head of standard planaria, and have a sucker at one end. Reminds me of a leech. Swims in a rapid 'S' motion.

Cheers,

From what i have read, Planaria can come in a range of colours from transparent,brown,white to red but never heard of one with a sucker at one end, Dont like the sound of that one :nailbiting:

Its not if i got a lot of them, maybe 5 or 6 could be more, I dont overfeed, I clean the bottom once a month, Change 10% water weekly, Just dont understand where they have come from.

From what i have read, Planaria can come in a range of colours from transparent,brown,white to red but never heard of one with a sucker at one end, Dont like the sound of that one :nailbiting:

Its not if i got a lot of them, maybe 5 or 6 could be more, I dont overfeed, I clean the bottom once a month, Change 10% water weekly, Just dont understand where they have come from.

I grab them out, and sometimes they stick to the glass or tweezers at one end.

Then I evil laugh until they dry out on the side.

Hi all,

It is a Leech, I have plenty of them (as well as Hydra and Planaria), and at some point I'll need to deal with them.

cheers Darrel

Yikes, I think they only feed on detritus and make a weird flowing motion when feeding. Will these pose any threat to CRS shrimplets Darrel, do you know? And would you have any idea as a good method for removal?

I have noticed since i pull them out and watch them squirm and dry out on the side, that there seems to be a lull in numbers on view against the aquarium glass, below substrate level.

Cheers,

Good news...............its worked.:happy:
No sign of any Planeria.
Thanks to you all for your help, in suggesting Panacur, and what doseage to go for.:thumbup:

Still looking good, a further week has gone by, and No Planaria to be seen. And the CRS unaffected.

Back