• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Setup > Lighting help please!

hensintheshed

I have just treated myself to a lovely new aquarium from Natural Aquario. It is a 65x40x45cm braceless aquarium NATURAL AQUARIO | Aqua Rio W65×D40×H45cm

Trouble is having bought this, the stand, CO2 setup and substrate im struggling to decide on a luminaire as dont want to spend a fortune.

For the size I have been looking along the lines of 2x24w T5's.

This is what I have come up with so far!:

T5 Aquarium Fish Tank Overhead Lighting Two Tube System | eBay
(only trouble with this is I was hoping to modify a fitting to hang and this may not balance)

NEW T5 T8 Aquarium Fish Tank Overhead light Lamp Lighting Coral Plant Ornament | eBay
(not sure if this will be powerful enough!)

LightWave T5 LW24-HO Hydroponics Plant Propagation Grow Light 2 x 24w | eBay
(this looks a bargain, but its ugly)

Please help with this dilemma, any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

I have just bought one of these 4x24w T5, it should be here tomorrow. Maybe a bit much light for you though and as you say the lightwave is ugly this is worse but can be worked into a hood or whatever quite easily. You could even just take the ballasts etc out and make x2 two tube units :)

@ hensintheshed, I have to agree with fox on this, your sugestion of 2x24w t5's is a good choice, I think any more would be too much for the size you have. Congrats on not over powering the tank! I run 1x24w t5 over a 90x30x30 tank and do just fine. :) if u decide u need more at a later date u can up it if your planning on running co2 etc but I believe your suggestion is about right :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the feedback guys, I think I will go for the 2x24W option as plan to have a fairly high tech setup with co2 etc, I think it will just be a case of playing with it once it has arrived to get the setup right!

IMAG0188_zpse1d40ac4.jpg

IMAG0189_zpsb19de530.jpg

Here is the light I have purchased. I will definitely need to change the bulbs as one is bright blue!

Other than that, it is a lot thinner than expected but hopefully this will not be a problem. It does look small in comparison to my aquarium but hopefully will be enough light for the plants to thrive!

I do not know if you are aware or not hensintheshed, that the lack of a tool secure fitting to the aquarium, means this light may not comply to the European Aquarium lighting standards, :rolleyes: unless of course it states that it is IP68 compliant?:bookworm: Does it per chance?:thumbdown: :thumbup: Should say something on the box or unit. If it does not I would ensure that you fit a residual circuit breaker (RCB) to prevent electrocution should it fall into the aquarium.:hungover:

Back