• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Any difference between all the silicones out there?

LancsRick

I need to get my grubby paws on some clear colourless silicone for my tank for bits and bits, and was wondering whether there was any difference between all the brands knocking around at all?

Not really Mate, very little difference, all clear silicon will after time go slightly white anyway but it's hard to notice. Not much difference between brands either to be honest. I have tried 4 or 5 different types and I didn't notice much difference in colour when using it pal.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Just make sure it's non-antifungal I just purchased some of this for a good price.
1 x HA6 SILICONE RUBBER SEALANT, RTV, ENGINEERING GLASS WATER FLEXIBLE HIGH MOD | eBay
I don't think I have ever gone that cheap... But that might be just me assuming it must be crap due to price only.. Just something about putting all my trust in a product that will hold a heap load of water in my house when it is less that 4 quid just makes me uneasy lol but this is my opinion of course!

I don't think I have ever gone that cheap... But that might be just me assuming it must be crap due to price only.. Just something about putting all my trust in a product that will hold a heap load of water in my house when it is less that 4 quid just makes me uneasy lol but this is my opinion of course!

Silicone is silicone, It is just fundamentally strong if used in the correct way.

This is the silicone I currently use Mate :)

Well both conform to the British standard code of practice for design of joins in building construction and conform to ISO11600, so will be of adequate and similar strength. The one you suggest above is for use in glazing, for example sealing glass into window frames. and the one I suggested is for glazing and designed for high movement joints, low movement joints, joints subject to cyclical movement, joints subject to one off movement, joints between the same or different substrates. This Is all the information you get from the label reading:
ISO11600-F&G-25HM
Personally I think silicone is silicone, but if you want to find out more about this boring subject have a look at:
The BASA Guide To The ISO 11600 Classification - British ...

Well both conform to the British standard code of practice for design of joins in building construction and conform to ISO11600, so will be of adequate and similar strength. The one you suggest above is for use in glazing, for example sealing glass into window frames. and the one I suggested is for glazing and designed for high movement joints, low movement joints, joints subject to cyclical movement, joints subject to one off movement, joints between the same or different substrates. This Is all the information you get from the label reading:
ISO11600-F&G-25HM
Personally I think silicone is silicone, but if you want to find out more about this boring subject have a look at:
The BASA Guide To The ISO 11600 Classification - British ...
I think your the most boring person I shamefully know bene

Cheers! Jack :)

I think your the most boring person I shamefully know bene

Cheers! Jack :)

Hang on a min Jack are you not suposed to be an architect? you should know about the British standard code of practice for design of joins in building and construction. Get to know! :crazy:

Ha ha, I'm no Glazier Bene. To know something like u just said suggests u need to get out of the big smoke city and come visit me in the land of tranquillity. Then we can have a few beers and I can tell you how successful I'm going to be ;)

Back