• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Good day all

Brad123

Well have had fish tanks in the past. Have been wanting to do a planted tank for some time now.
The wife finely gave in and got my self a 65l tank, that the biggest she would let me have. So happy days.

Now what I have done is put about 1" of John innes No 1, I know should have put in No 3 but the shop only have No 1 and I forgot what number. Will it make much difference? Have put fine gravel on top of the compost about 1" to 2". And put some water in. Have ordered some plants for green machine. Hope they will be at home waiting for me. Also have made a diy CO2. So hope all is going to go well.

Brad

Welcome to UKAPS Brad, by DIY CO2 do you mean a yeast based system, if so i'm afraid they are really unstable and in the long run will cause you more problems than they are worth, if i were you i would go the liquid CO2 route untill you can get your hands on a decent compressed gas system. Good luck with the new tank though and keep us posted on it's progress, in fact why not start a journal :)

Going the yeast way. Have looked into liquid co2. Maybe later.
Still no plants maybe tomow
Brad

I saw you were asking the difference between John innes and unfortunately yes, john innes no.3 is by far superior in rich nutrient content.. You can get this at any garden centre usually.. Sorry to hear you have not found it. I would recommend if you have not filled already that you switch. This will benefit the plants in the long run. Akadama is also another option you could explore?

The comment about the DIY yeast thing is unfortunately very true. In a tank your size id will be problem after problem. If you don't want to dose gas co2 then liquid carbon can be an alternative, obviously not a complete swap but definitely viable along with NPK etc. The fluctuating levels from the unstable yeast DIY set up I'm my opinion is not worth doing unless maybe a small tank, like 27 litres, eve on this I wouldn't recommend. Do you have a plant list?

And welcome of course! ;)

Cheers! Jack :)

Hi Brad and welcome to the forum.
As you can see after your first posts its a very friendly forum with members always willing to offer advice :)
Get yourself a good look around, there's a wealth of information, including several impressive journals of 'John innes' substrate tanks.
To help find them just use the search function in the top right of each page, you'll be amazed what comes up just by typing in 'John innes' and deselecting 'this forum only' option, that way it will search the whole forum!
I'm sure if you keep your lighting intensity low, you'll be able to grow!
Cheerio for now,
Ady.

Thanks for a warm welcome. Think I might change the compost as suggested thanks Jack.
Here is the plants so far

Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Mi Oya'

Hygrophila corymbosa 'Siamensis'

Vallisneria americana 'mini twister'

Marsilea hirsuta
The tank is Aquarium Aquastart 500 http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aquarium-supplies/aquariums/aqua-one/aqua-one-aquastart-aquariums/aqua-one-aquarium-aquastart-500-black-65l.html Got it from LBS. Cant find any thing on the lights it has. So I going with it been low lighting.

Cool, looking forward to it. As for lighting were you thinking LED lighting, fluorescent or halide? There is a lot of light gurus here that can advise. As long as you stick to the main rules about lighting you will be fine and succeed :). Good luck :).

Cheers! Jack :)

Please continue the discussion in the appropriate section, NOT in the New Member Introduction section.

Cheers,

Back