• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Staurogyn Repens Care

Acen

Seedling
Hello i have been having trouble with staurogyn repens

Ok. im on my third batch of Staurogyn repens in the past few months, i have made some adjustments and my current batch is going bad after 2 weeks.
My tank is a 13 Gallon shallow with High light. Any advise would be appreciated. I just got a new batch and i want this one to do well, this may be my last attempt in this tank.

NEED HELP QUESTION
Can i save the current Batch?
What am i doing wrong?
What Im a missing?
What do yall suggest

Dosing Regime
Ei Dosing with the these targets. 3x's per week with Macro and Micro
I do 50% WC 1-2x's per week

Macro per dose
Kno3 = 7.78 ppm
P04 = 3.33ppm (dosing more for GSA)

Micro csm+b with added DTPA Fe Per Dose targets
targets
B 0.17
Cu 0.01
Fe 0.94
Mg 0.20
Mn 0.27

Soil: AZOO plant substrate
Osmocote plus root tabs
C02 lime green to yellow

Lights are 1200 lumens 110 watts equivalent 5000k (Overkill I Know) 3ft above the substrate

Lights on 8 hours total with 1hr siesta after 4 hrs
Kh = 3-4
Gh = 10-12

Filtration:
Finnex Px360, it appears to have great flow but the angles do create dead spots.

Powerheads for Extra flow:
Using 2 small TOM aquarium Mini Internal filters (without the bottom filter and flow control for more power) They are rater for 45gph

What im noticing:
Leaves curling UNDER
Leaves CRIMPING on some
New Growth seems Stunted
Dropping many New Roots
Leaves falling off
Of Course GSA coving most leaves now

What I have tried:
Raising lights (now at 3ft above substrate)
P04 increase and spot treatment
Flow adjustment
shorter photo period
Siesta
Nerite snails

Hello,
110 watts of overkill will kill Staurogyne repens. Try reducing your lighting to something more appropriate, like 10 watts.

Cheers,

As ceg said. I have a 75 gallon aquarium with 108w of lighting 1ft above the water and mine now covers the bottom of the entire tank. But im still having problems with algae! The cause, im still using too much light! Id advice reading some of cegs posts and articles, as a beginner its hard to believe that you dont need lots of light, but cegs advice is invaluble.

Stopping the growth of the plant. The reason - the lack of carbon is too high pH.
Patients and black roots. The reason - a small, highly compacted soil.
The plant is rapidly losing leaves, which die off small sections. The reason - the lack of phosphorus.
Formed long internodes, quickly grow thin stems, plants shed their leaves at the bottom, a pale coloring of the leaf blade. The reason - the low light.
The plant excessively long internodes and small leaves. The reason - improper relationship between temperature and illumination (the higher the temperature, the plant requires a strong light).
Extremely elongated upper parts of plants. The reason - too strong red spectrum lamps.
Plants wither and wilt, leaf blades were partially damaged, they can see the hole, frayed edges. The reason - the change in the chemical composition of the water or the lack of any nutrient.
The plants are damaged leaves (especially in young plants with a short stem and a well-developed root system.) The reason - the stagnation of water in the soil due to its high density.
The leaves are covered with lime. The reason - the lack of carbon dioxide.
The plant appears too small leaves. The reason - lack of food or too much light.
The leaves turn yellow, sometimes a reddish color. The reason - the lack of nitrogen.
Yellowing or reddening of the leaves are also a sign of a lack of sulfur.
New leaves of plants appear with yellow edges. The reason - lack of calcium.
The leaves have yellow spots, they wither on the edges. The reason - a lack of potassium.
Between leaf veins have yellow spots, then these places die off, leaving a hole. The reason - the lack of magnesium.
Plant becomes vitreous, the leaves turn yellow it. The reason - lack of iron.
Yellow leaf tissue, veins remain green. The reason - the lack of manganese (often caused by excess iron).
In Cryptocoryne leaves gradually become glassy, ​​holes are formed. Under concentrated plant decomposes along with the stem. This "kriptokorinovaya disease", the cause of which is still unknown.

The plant excessively long internodes and small leaves. The reason - improper relationship between temperature and illumination (the higher the temperature, the plant requires a strong light).

A relationship between tempreture and required illumination?! this is a totally new theory to me, please explain in more detail or post some links for further reading o_O

The data is not valid. The relationship is NOT between elevated temperatures and required illumination, but elevated temperatures and required CO2 injection.

"kriptokorinovaya disease"
is due to poor CO2.

In fact, most of the data listed in post #5, while might be applicable to terrestrial plants are not valid aquatic plants.

Cheers,

Back