• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Cheers for that, it's something I'll keep in mind..... I bred CRS about 2 years ago in a 20L Dennerle tank and after doing well to start I then struggled with water parameters and keeping them stable in a small tank. Anyway the setup looks great mate and I'll be keeping watch with great interest!

Cheers for that, it's something I'll keep in mind..... I bred CRS about 2 years ago in a 20L Dennerle tank and after doing well to start I then struggled with water parameters and keeping them stable in a small tank. Anyway the setup looks great mate and I'll be keeping watch with great interest!

Thank you mate, Im sure you'll do fine. I'm not exactly a pro, but if you do need any help or advice, don't hesitate to get in touch. Either via here, so other members can see, or via Pm :)

Long time since I did anything on this, but its been quiet. No berried females over winter.

The shrimp were dancing last night & as a result Ive got 2 berried ones. Pretty happy :)

Especially when I saw this:
u3u9aheg.jpg

Berried smiley faced shrimp, this will be her first batch since I bred her, so I will keep you posted as to how she gets on with it all :)

Cheers,

Hey,

I got tired of seeing the stainless steel mesh through my Fissidens fox, so bought some ADA Riccia stones ( after looking for 'black slate' to no avail).

nyvaru4e.jpg

Got some super glue from tescos and set to work. It took me about two hours to sort and do two stones, but they look so much better in the flesh.

bu4ydu8y.jpg

Dab glue and stick the moss in one direction, as it looks so much better:

etyze9y3.jpg

Layered effect taking shape:

su7y4epa.jpg

Completed stone :

u3e3a8uq.jpg

4emygema.jpg

ehubyjem.jpg

Need a quick trim in about a week, and they should look the business. Got lots more of them to do :)

N

Really nice looking tank, would love to start a shrimp only tank my self but the misses isn't keen.

Great tip creating fissiden carpet, I love the stuff and have used in my previous scape but when it came to trimming ended up everywhere...

Hey Steveno,

Thanks mate, sticking the moss to the stones has taken hours thus far lol. Maybe 3-4 :eek:

It really is worth it though, as the moss blends perfectly, as the stones are not uniform shape and the moss runs right to the edges.

I'm nearly out of Fissidens Fox ( Which in my experience, grows smaller fronds and a lot more compact and tidy than Fontanus), otherwise I would have just kept going in spare time and covered the lot :lol:

Cheers,
N

Hello nathaniel, after reading you journal, really wanted to start my own shrimp tank and have finally manage to convince the boss to let me start my own nano... Just purchase my self a 30l Dennerle tank - complete set... Come With pretty much all you need to start. Am considering a dsm to attach moss and start a hc carpet... Tank will be shrimp only and will try low tech for a change hence the dsm (and TBH never tried dsm so want to give it a go) other that hc carpet will likely be ferns and mosses... Might even give your fissiden stone technique a go... This will be my first shrimp only tank, so is there any advise you could offer to a newby like myself... Cheers in advance.

Hello nathaniel, after reading you journal, really wanted to start my own shrimp tank and have finally manage to convince the boss to let me start my own nano... Just purchase my self a 30l Dennerle tank - complete set... Come With pretty much all you need to start. Am considering a dsm to attach moss and start a hc carpet... Tank will be shrimp only and will try low tech for a change hence the dsm (and TBH never tried dsm so want to give it a go) other that hc carpet will likely be ferns and mosses... Might even give your fissiden stone technique a go... This will be my first shrimp only tank, so is there any advise you could offer to a newby like myself... Cheers in advance.

That's great news mate, glad it helped somewhat!

Yeah there's a few things, Start off with Cherry shrimp if you have not had shrimp before. You will have a bit more margin for error with cherries, and once you get used to shrimp behaviour and preferences you could take on CRS which are relatively easy to maintain once you know how.

Buy a cheap TDS measure so you get to know about your water, if it's too hard for certain
Species, you may need to look at an RO filter.

Water changes are little and often.
aim to change 10-15% of water per change, Ideally 2-3 times a week. This should help in breeding.

Concentrate on the shrimps.
In a shrimp tank, they normally tend to take centre stage as oppose to plants and amazing planted setups, although not all. Some maintain both hard plants and shrimp together, but if your fairly new to keeping plants you may find it a juggling game, as they aren't a massive fan of co2 when little oxygen is available in the water column.

Add leaves such as catappa leaves, mulberry leaves, banana leaves or catappa bark etc. this has numerous benefits to shrimp including : antibacterial properties, provides food for shrimp, biofilm for baby shrimps, hiding places, lowering Ph very slightly.

Buy some sort of feeding dish from Aquarium plant food, and always feed on top of the dish. This should keep your substrate from becoming covered in food and breaking down which could cause problems . Lift out dish after a couple of hours and discard leftovers.

Hope there's a little bit of information you can pick out from there lol :p

Cheers,
N

Hello nathaniel, Thxs a for info very much appreciated... I live in Manchester so water is pretty soft, but will be testing all the same, will feed using a dish of some sort as suggested, also can you tell me where do you obtain the leaves from?

Also should I be heating tank, as kit doesn't come with heater? Given as it starting to get cold...

I'll be start a journal of sorts, go hopfully you can pop in and point me the right direction if you see me veering off course. Thxs again. Steveo

Hello nathaniel, Thxs a for info very much appreciated... I live in Manchester so water is pretty soft, but will be testing all the same, will feed using a dish of some sort as suggested, also can you tell me where do you obtain the leaves from?

Also should I be heating tank, as kit doesn't come with heater? Given as it starting to get cold...

I'll be start a journal of sorts, go hopfully you can pop in and point me the right direction if you see me veering off course. Thxs again. Steveo

Okay mate no problems,

Have a look on Aquariumplantfood.co.uk they have all you need under shrimp.

I'd get a heater and set it on 19-20 degrees so that even if you think your house is warm enough, it's a fail safe in case it does get a bit nippy.

Yeah I'll try! :)

Stones look good, journals an interesting read and I love those beautiful shrimp:)

Do you have a new plan or just waiting for the new setup?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Back