• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is this a Fern producing oxygen?

Martin cape

Noticed one of the Java Fern leaves producing bubbles from one specific point in the leaf. There were no bubbles on the leaf, just these tiny ones coming off. Is this it producing oxygen?

Cool :). Never seen a plant do that. Drop checker was pretty much lime green and fish were swimming happily so must be plenty oxygen for them.

If its only from one spot, its more likely leaf damage. Like a trail of tiny bubbles.
I assumed it was like that in other places, the video was of quite a small area. How would this be leaf damage mate? Why would it leak oxygen like that if it was un healthy? Cheers mate :)

Cheers! Jack :)

Yes that video, to me, shows that the plant has a tiny hole in the leaf and this is causing the bubbles.

This doesn't necessarily mean its unhealthy, it could have been caused by anything.

Darrel will explain in more detail if you ask him, as he is well clued up with this sort of thing and will probably go through the process that causes oxygen to leak.

Looks like a hole in the leaf to me. It often happens to me when I accidentally catch a leaf with the point of the scissors. Pearling is usually the whole leaf surface when certain criteria are met and to do with the oxygen content being high so it won't dissolve, cue Darrell :) either way it's a good sign mate. Oxygen is being produced and leaking from a small hole.

Just had a quick google and there are a few threads knocking about saying its not unusual to see Java Ferns "breathe" with a tiny line of bubbles being released :).

O well, I'm doing something right now. I kind of already knew with everything growing like crazy. Especially the monster that is the Amazon Sword!!

Yes that video, to me, shows that the plant has a tiny hole in the leaf and this is causing the bubbles.

This doesn't necessarily mean its unhealthy, it could have been caused by anything.

+1. You can get a leaf to do it by stabbing it with a pin or bending the leaf, however you don't always get the stream of bubbles when you do this.

Back