• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cryptocoryne temperature range?

D

Darwin88

Hi all,

I've got a 23l Fluval Edge with 6 White Cloud Mountain Minnow's in it. I intend to put some Cherry Shrimp in there too (when I find somewhere to get them from!)

It's the old style with the halogen lights. At the moment I've got some Taxiphyllum barbieri but that's the only planting so far. I've never grown mosses before so I'm new to it, I think I've done a half decent job of tying it to the pebbles, time may prove otherwise.

My question is this:

This is obviously a coldwater tank for the minnows (I say cold, it ranges from 18 degrees to 21 degrees depending on lights) so what sort of plants could I use in the background? I like the look of Cryptocoryne wendtii among other Cryptocoryne species, but will they cope at these lower temperatures? I assume they'll get just enough light under the halogens, unless anyone knows otherwise? If anybody thinks Cryptocoryne would be unsuitable, could they please suggest alternatives?

Thanks, all opinions welcome :)

8418761079_7c481419a1_c.jpg

All crypts should be fine in these temps, I have tanks with no heaters that vary from 19-21 degrees and slightly warmer in the summer and I have a selection of crypts in my jungle nano, you can see in my journal link underneath this comment in my signature. Plants are relatively durable in "colder temps" as you suggest. these temps are fine. you have no worries. Thant goes for shrimp too. they also do well in lower temp tanks. as for your moss it looks like you done well to tie it down to those pebbles, when it grows in it will look pretty sweet and calm. As for lighting, these tanks are renowned for causing problems with planted tank enthusiasts, as the light spread does not reach the edges of the tank. Mosses wil be fine as these will grow in low light, although very slowly. People have upgraded these fluval tanks to support a better spread of light. There are a fair few scapers on this forum that have done this. I know Tim has had a few of these so maybe worth dropping him an email if this is something you would want to extend on.

Thanks guys, both the answers I wanted to hear! :D

Those are some nice scapes there Jack, I think that's the sort of look I'm aiming for. I hope you don't mind if I take some inspiration from them?

I've looked into the LED light upgrade for the Edge. It's something I'd be interested in if I was having difficulty growing much under the halogens. I think I'll try to centre a few Crypts under the halogens, let the moss grow around the edge where the light is sparse and dose LC/ferts for the Crypts. The substrate is Eco-complete and I've got some Neutro LC and ferts from AE.

Sounds good to me man. I was tempted to buy a fluval edge, the lighting wouldn't of effected my plans, I wanted to do a low-tech island iwagumi so everything was clustered around the centre then I was going to use some white unipac gravel or similar to surround the island giving it real depth. I'll be interested to see how yours goes. Nice one :)

Cheers! Jack :)

In that case I'll keep you updated.

That sounds like it'd make a good scape, there really is a lot of potential in the little Edges - if you're willing to work around the access problems.

Mine happened accidentally. The GF's a teacher, she was rewarding her class with a fish tank for good behaviour. Saw this on eBay and paid £40 for it. Problem was I set it up to cycle in our living room and it looks that good it's staying! Her class'll have to wait! :D

hey mate crypts will be fine in fact the halogen bulbs could be a bit strong liquid carbon as whitey suggested will help. i've had a few of these tanks still running two at the moment (journal in my signature) definately worth the upgrade to the led light bar IMO if you plan on keeping the edge longterm, very nice tanks if you have the patience to work with them :thumbup:

Hi mate,

Nice scapes. I like the 23l, that's a really nice looking tank.

I notice you mentioned the 23l has the led bar from the 46l - I didn't realise that was possible. Are the lights positioned all the way across the bar on the 46 rather than around the spotlights?

Cheers

Yeah fair point mate, I'll get stuck into that now :)

Cheers

Back