• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is my new UP CO2 Inline Diffuser causing this problem???

Arana

After installing a UP CO2 Inline Diffuser on one of my tanks yesterday i seem to be having a problem controling the co2 via the needle valve, it goes from a steady flow of bubbles in the bubble counter for a few seconds followed by a big burst of bubbles and then back again, the diffusor has been running fine for over a year unless it coincedently has gone up the spout just as i upgraded the diffusor but it seems unlikely, Has anyone else experienced this with the UP CO2 Inline Diffuser? or do you have any ideas what it could be?

I've just installed mine half an hour ago, seems a bit sketchy at the moment but I'm hoping it will stabilise over the next couple of hours. WHat kind of cylinder are you using?

Mine is on a 2kg FE too, was very irregular to start with then realised my check valve is faulty, removed it and now it cant seem to push past 1.5 bps. Hoping and praying this is just it settling in as it's never going to be enough.

Mine seems to have increased in speed slightly and has certainly steadied out since earlier, drop checkers starting to drop to greenish blue but I now have HC floating everywhere! Oh the joys

If your running at only 1.5 bar. It will struggle massively as soon as algae builds up. It will then stop working.

You need to be running at least 2 bar. I run at 2.5.

Wht reg you guys using? Can you increase working pressure?

no, The regulator you showed is a fixed pressure I think, It reduces the pressure from the bottle (maybe 50-60 bar to 1.5 bar).

To run an atomiser, you'll need a new Reg w/ pressure adjustment. Such as the JBL m001 - which I use.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Ouch! I already just brought one of these UP Single Gauge CO2 Regulator (A-148) just to get the adapter for an FE as mine was missing :( well I'm getting greener so I might see if its enough, if not I guess I'll have to sell them both and hope there's not much more to pay for an upgrade. (Sorry to hijack your post Arana)

Single stage regulators can have severe operating issues, which is why all the "big boys" use dual stage.

First issue is, when FE tank pressure starts dropping, once all the liquid CO2 has gone, they can loose regulation and dump the remainder of the bottle. Not a problem if you have just aquatic plants but may asphyxiate any livestock.

Second issue, seen by a lot of people, is some sort of feedback issue with bubble counters, piping and diffusers where the output pressure cycles up and down as the gas "bursts" through the diffuser, then stops, system pressurises up in say next 20 seconds, then "bursts" through the diffuser. Impossible to set a consistent bubble rate. Some people have cured it by changing diffuser, some by using proper CO2 piping (like you should be in the first place), even shortening all the lengths of pipe to as short as possible can affect it.
In the end a proper dual gauge regulator with say upto 2.5 bar output is the way to go.

Cheers man guess I should have researched into that one a bit more, last night it was steady at just over 1.5 bsp and my drop checker went lime but don't know if that was down to the fact there was extra co2 in the water as I'd just filled the tank. Guess I better find a dual gauge before I start running into the problems mentioned above

I got my regulator from www.co2supermarket.co.uk, along with their bubble counter and using a 16mm UP in-line diffuser. I like their bubble counter as has decent tube clamps as well as a one way valve on the in side, though I have added an UP one way valve that also has tube clamps as I once caught tiny bits of water sneaking backwards along the pipe.

Single stage regulators can have severe operating issues, which is why all the "big boys" use dual stage.

First issue is, when FE tank pressure starts dropping, once all the liquid CO2 has gone, they can loose regulation and dump the remainder of the bottle. Not a problem if you have just aquatic plants but may asphyxiate any livestock.

Second issue, seen by a lot of people, is some sort of feedback issue with bubble counters, piping and diffusers where the output pressure cycles up and down as the gas "bursts" through the diffuser, then stops, system pressurises up in say next 20 seconds, then "bursts" through the diffuser. Impossible to set a consistent bubble rate. Some people have cured it by changing diffuser, some by using proper CO2 piping (like you should be in the first place), even shortening all the lengths of pipe to as short as possible can affect it.
In the end a proper dual gauge regulator with say upto 2.5 bar output is the way to go.

i'm probably going to go for this one UP Twin Gauge Adjustable CO2 Regulator - Solenoid - Needle Valve (A-165)

What do you think? :thumbup: or :thumbdown:

After installing a UP CO2 Inline Diffuser on one of my tanks yesterday i seem to be having a problem controling the co2 via the needle valve, it goes from a steady flow of bubbles in the bubble counter for a few seconds followed by a big burst of bubbles and then back again, the diffusor has been running fine for over a year unless it coincedently has gone up the spout just as i upgraded the diffusor but it seems unlikely, Has anyone else experienced this with the UP CO2 Inline Diffuser? or do you have any ideas what it could be?

I had the same issue with my UP, will be following this thread.

Yep, mine is doing that with the Easy Aqua atomizer inside my tank.
Just purchased a normal ceramic disc diffuser and will be switching back to that on the weekend.

Perhaps it's to do with the working pressure as the pressure fluctuates on the output pressure gauge or could be a simple case of high pressure build up followed by a co2 damp release, but that's just me talking and take that with a pinch of salt.

Back