• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim 2217 BioMedia

cheekycharly

Hi what would be a good BioMedia for my Eheim 2217. I hear some bad things about Eheim's own media kit that's all.

What's your thoughts?

Cheers

Cheeky C

Alfagrog is cheap and popular. Also ceramic bio rings with a couple of filter sponges will work :) prefer this to filter moss as it's easier to rinse.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Price of it doesn't really bother me so long as I am getting quality. I've seen some odd things being used in some people's DIY media setups.

Yes, but what does quality mean within the context of filter media? Bacteria do not really care about our definition of quality. They just need a place to live, and they do exactly the same job regardless of quality of the media.

More important than quality, are issues such as effect on flow rate, ease of cleaning and so forth. These are all mostly logistical issues, so as long as there is sufficient surface area to hold the bacteria, and as long as you can satisfy the logistical requirements, then it really doesn't matter what you use. And that's exactly why you see odd things in DIY media setups. Spending more money for quality does not necessarily yield better results in all cases.

Cheers,

I run a 2217, at the bottom I use k1. Next layer some plastic Xmas trees sacking then a seperetor then two course foams then a seperator then another coarse foam. Flow stays good never had a problem, I've even used old connects and leggo used cut up plastic push fit pipe,Cheap and using my own ideas from what's kicking around is more importantl for me . :)

I bought the Eheim media kit for it and got the Eheim 2217 plus from Rare Aquatics for the bargain price of £89.99. Very happy with it all :)

Back