• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My first attempt at planted tank. 120x45x45

flatfish55

Seedling
Hello everyone.
Like a few other people on here this is not my first experience with aquariums but,it is
my first attempt at a planted one so here goes.

The tank is a braced one made by clearseal and my plan is to be very loosely based
on a South American theme ie most of the fish will be South American but probably only
about half of the plants will be.

The substrate is river sand with Osmocote granules underneath and there are about 9
pieces of bogwood.I`m using an Eheim classic 600 filter, two 200w heaters and the lighting
is twin 38watt t8s with reflectors. So that the change from dark to light and visa versa is not
too sudden I have fitted an LED strip from Ikea which is 1.8 watts and comes on 1 hour before
and 1 hour after the main lights.

The plants I have so far are Anubias barteri `nana`
4 types of Echinodorus
Hygrophila angustifolia
Microsorum phillipine
microsorum needle leaf
Rotala rotundifolia
Sagittaria subulata
Staurogyne ?
and a small grid of Fissidens fontanus.

The fish I would like are 3 small shoals of tetras,a small shoal of Corydorus Sterbai
a pair of Rams, a pair of Apistogrammas,a pair of honey Gouramis and possibly a couple of Angels.

I had forgotten how exciting it is setting up a tank,hopefully there wont be too many mistakes
made but I know that on this forum there are many knowledgable folks who can help me if needed.
I am going to try putting some pictures on here but I am a complete noob so it might take a while.

Anyway I`m sure you`re getting bored now so thanks for reading.
Mark.
2pTurg

ps I`ve tried to post pictures but failed

Well that seemed to work,Now I`ll try to put a couple more on.
Mark

Thanks.
I would like to keep it low tech if poss,will see how it goes.

Mark

Hi everyone.
Well one week on & I`m not too disappointed,not much growth but that`s to be expected with a new tank I suppose.The Java Fern Phillippine has lost a few leaves
not sure why & the Hygrophila has lost leaves and is getting quite a bit of algae on it.The Echinodorus are holding their own & the Staurogyne seems to be growing.
The Rotala is showing growth but is looking quite scraggy.The Sag looks ok but the Anubias leaves are looking rough .

Today I found an outbreak of tiny snails so removed all I could see.I have ordered some easycarbo hoping that might help the plants along.Not too sure if I need to add ferts
as I put Osmacote under the substrate but,I ordered the starter pack from Aquarium Plant Food UK.
sam0300d.jpg
[/IMG]

Well I`m having problems getting pictures up,I managed it last week but can`t remember what I did exactly.When I`ve worked it out I will post a few

Mark

Hi foxfish.
I thought that high tech was high lighting and CO2,didnt think liquid carbon made it high tech.

So although using carbon is high tech with my lighting I wont be needing to dose much carbon will I?

Back