• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Using Carbonated water

Could you drill the lid of a bottle and put airline through it, (make a good seal so gas doesn't escape) enough to reach the bottom, then start it siphoning into the tank but control the drip with an airline valve or clamp?

are we saying that adding carbonated water is more or less efficient as adding co2?
Definitely not Mate no. But it does contribute for sure.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Surely this must off gas in no time at all, as paulo said liquid carbon would likely be a far more effective and easier way to dose a tank.
Sure mate I understand where your coming from, I'm only speaking from my point of view. My tanks are only 27 litre so I wouldn't think it would help in anything larger than a nano. But I can definitely vouch for carbonated water. Its kept my Cuba running well. I think its one of those cases where it may or it may not work. I replace my bottles every week and dose every day. But it is important to stress that if not replaces it does gas off, it also works because of such a small tank mass.

Cheers! Jack :)

Hi all,
But I can definitely vouch for carbonated water. Its kept my Cuba running well. I think its one of those cases where it may or it may not work. I replace my bottles every week and dose every day.
Takashi Amano wrote:
"I decided to make a real effort to raise water plants and design beautiful waterscapes in 1977. At that time there were no power filters and such devices like there are today, and figuring out my first set-up was difficult. I placed about 7cm of fine coral sand on the bottom and intensely aerated the water with a bottom filter. I thought that putting fishes in would cause problems, si I limited myself to plants. For lighting the 60cm tank I used two 20watt bulbs: in a week they were transparent. There were no books to help me out. All I could do was grope on in the dark. Next I realized that while I could raise plants fairly successfully in old aquaria, the newer ones were just no good. While pondering the reason for this, I figured out that it wasn't just air but CO2 that they needed, so I asked my mentor, Professor Nagashima of Niigata Seiryo Women's Junior College, about methods for carbonation of aquarium water. He told me that 0,03% CO2 in the air should be enough, and that it was naturally absorbed into the water so that I didn't have to add it artificially. But he introduced me to a friend in the medical equipament field anyway, who discussed possible carbonation methods with me and gave me a cost estimate. It's too bad it couldn't have been done more inexpensively or I would have successfully set up an aquatic plant aquariom much sooner. Carbon dioxide was something I never needed in my work and it was too expensive a material for me, anyway. Dry ice was economical, but it was too hard to handle and disappeared too quickly to be practical. Frustrated, I went on struggling and tried to forget about CO2. The aquatic plant aquarium work inched along to the point where the plants weren't dying as much but they wouldn't form new buds. Then one night I went to a bar with a friend and a clear bottle of carbonated water caught my eye. The label said, "water, carbon dioxide, sodium chloride (NaCl) 1%." I wasn't sure about the NaCl but it was the perfect material for testing whether the plants needed CO2. I took five bottles home with me. The tank for the experiment was big: 240x60x60cm. Flushed with drink and excitement, I poured the five bottles in. Within five minutes air bubbles had formed on the leaves: they did need the CO2. Every tank I added the soda water to did well, but I had to be careful not to add too much because of the 1% NaCl, and so I changed the water faithfully every week. There were piles of empty soda water bottles all over my room. If I hadn't discovered that carbonated water when I did, I surely would have given up on the whole idea of aquatic plant aquaria
cheers Darrel

Back