• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What other novel fresh foods do you feed your shrimp?

D

Darwin88

Just had a nosey at this:

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/index.php?threads/Fresh-Nettles.25255/#post-260200

I had no idea you could use nettles as shrimp food. I got my first ever batch of shrimp today and I'm completely captivated by them. Now I feel like I might be missing some vital info:

What other fresh foods do you guys feed? Sorry if there's another thread like this already, I had a quick look but couldn't see one. Feel free to direct me there if you don't want to go through it again!

Cheers!

Anything vegetable will be ok, especially spinach and lettuce, as well as cucumber Too.

Just give them a 5 minute boil, to help soften them up for the shrimp. :)

Nice one, cheers. Do you if broccoli is any good? Got loads ready for harvest soon...

Do u have to weigh them down it do they naturally sink? Random question I know lol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Good question - I just had an image of 15 tiny shrimp clinging for dear life to a lettuce leaf caught in the flow of my over-sized hydor koralia....

Nettles are great and contain mucho good stuff for shrimp and will also improve colour. BUT don't be using the hard old leaves! Pick the young leaves from the top of the plant and ffs ALWAYS par boil to remove any bacteria. And pick from out of town areas etc to avoid pollutant build on the leaf. :)

Also use dried almond / banana leaf for biofilm food for shrimplets. And remember although primarily veg munchers a bit of protein is a great supplement feed.

All good answers, thanks everyone :)

And remember although primarily veg munchers a bit of protein is a great supplement feed.

What do you suggest as a good source of protein? Will dry shrimp feeds cover that or are you thinking of something more 'meaty' ?

All good answers, thanks everyone :)

What do you suggest as a good source of protein? Will dry shrimp feeds cover that or are you thinking of something more 'meaty' ?

There are a few brands, essentially doing the same. Personally, I like Mosura Excel:-

Mosura Excel Crystal Red Shrimp food

Or Genchem No3:-

GENCHEM BIOMAX #3 ADULT SHRIMP FOOD 50G Crystal Red Cherry Shrimp Pellet Feed | eBay

The protein helps saddle / egg development, so pretty important if you want to maintain breeding.

I feed mine crab tablets and algae waffers which are rich in protein. But the crab tabs are good enough. Check out: Feeding your shrimp. Biggest challenge? Share. | UK Aquatic Plant Society Good info there

Thanks for the link, that's a nice chunk of info there. I need to start digging through previous threads before asking daft questions :oops:

There are a few brands, essentially doing the same. Personally, I like Mosura Excel:- Mosura Excel Crystal Red Shrimp food Or Genchem No3:- GENCHEM BIOMAX #3 ADULT SHRIMP FOOD 50G Crystal Red Cherry Shrimp Pellet Feed | eBay The protein helps saddle / egg development, so pretty important if you want to maintain breeding.

Cheers basil. I'll be ordering some of that.

I am also feeding to my shrimps blanched dandelion leaves, they love them. As for the protein they get some frozen bloodworm, Artemia or Cyclops, and some "ordinary" fishflakes.

Just had some Mulberry and Guava leaves in. My shrimp are just loving the Mulberry!! I put half a leaf in 2 days ago and not much left. They are big leaves too - about the size of your hand.

Shrimp munching on the Mulberry leaf. Picture taken yesterday, hardly anything left now as I write this......yum!

IMG_0511_zps19eeaf8c.jpg
[/IMG]

Same leaf taken tonight........pretty much all gone. Shrimp have mobbed the mulberry leaf since it went in.

vuny5uga.jpg

I'm playing around with feeding this tank predominantly veggie style with leaves, only occasionally supplemented monthly with protein. Tank next to it with same shrimp, dried tablet diet. See what happens........

Same leaf taken tonight........pretty much all gone. Shrimp have mobbed the mulberry leaf since it went in.

vuny5uga.jpg

I'm playing around with feeding this tank predominantly veggie style with leaves, only occasionally supplemented monthly with protein. Tank next to it with same shrimp, dried tablet diet. See what happens........
Good idea i would like to know.They certainly like the mulberry leaf where did you get it from?And in your opinion what is the best leaf for shrimps?Cheers mark

I still really like fresh nettle tips. Trouble is they sting, ain't available 12 months of the year and for some reason, dogs like to pish on them! Which other than making them unpleasant to pick, carries the added risk of them being sprayed with ammonia:)!!

Dried leaves such as banana, almond, mulberry etc are cheap, keep for ages and all have different benefits for shrimp. And what I like best about them is that they don't load the tank with nasty spikes associated with uneaten protein based feed.

Taiwans on Guava leaf tonight. Swarmed at the moment (as with all new items in tank). Next 2 days will be acid test when they can choose between the other traditional offerings.

yruzevu3.jpg

Will update. :)

Where do you get your dried leaves from please basil? Always after more varied good foods for my shrimp and fish.

Back