• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Carpeting plants advice

You can try this way
q6lpxBW.jpg

gXPEIN8.jpg

IndsJzT.jpg

YcJlx8C.jpg

I thing will work.

Not all carpet plants will struggle in a low tech tank, glosso and hc yes, but you have other options like marsilea hirsulata which is similar in appearance to glosso but a deeper green and this does very well in low tech tanks.
You have the grass like carpets too such as hair grass and tennelus too. All do very well in low tech tanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not sure how you managed to quote yourself lol... but yeah I had these in a nano for about 6-7 months and then sold it, 3 months down the line the lad still has the mesh pads in so nothing was dangerous. They only started to rust as I cut them up to fit my scape, so maybe you didn't cut them up, maybe you did. it doesn't really matter now as what I was saying originally was that this has all been discussed already. All my fish were fine, even my shrimp were fine. So no im not too worried about it bene mate. A little iron hurt no1 ;) especially not plants ay.

Wow some great examples there, just ordered myself some wire mesh off of eBay so just waiting on delivery. Is there anywhere you guys recommend buying riccia from?
Thanks

Not all carpet plants will struggle in a low tech tank, glosso and hc yes, but you have other options like marsilea hirsulata which is similar in appearance to glosso but a deeper green and this does very well in low tech tanks.
You have the grass like carpets too such as hair grass and tennelus too. All do very well in low tech tanks

Exactly what I was looking for '4 leaf clover' IIRC is referred to as also?

Tropica Aquarium Plants - Marsilea hirsuta

I know this was low light but seems its low co2 also

Exactly what I was looking for '4 leaf clover' IIRC is referred to as also?

Tropica Aquarium Plants - Marsilea hirsuta

I know this was low light but seems its low co2 also

Yep does fantastic with out co2, when I stripped my puddle down from what was one pot it had covered almost the entire length and depth of the tank, even in very dark shaded areas

Marsilea Hirsuta took all its different forms in 'tribute' Some carpeted like glosso, some 2 inches long 4 leaf emersed form below the water line but most grew out of the top in the 4 leaf form. Very odd and have no idea why it didnt settle in one form? Not that i was complaining as it added great texture in different forms.
Its nails too, my propagator is sitting in the garden without a lid and it has MH growing new shoots even after being frozen and covered with snowo_O

I know using liquid carbon kind of takes you out of the low tech realm but can this be used to get things moving and up to speed and then faze it out at an acceptable growth level or would you have to then continue down this road?

No you could start out like this yes, it's claimed to destroy Riccia but I have seen no signs of this 4 months down the line. If u keep to high water changes I can't see this bring an issue..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Jack, so I'd go back to a weekly water change then?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I would never recommend anything longer than a one weekly water change, don't say that to loud or you could have green peace on the phone :) :lol: I sometimes do it 2ce a week if I have over dosed on fertz

Thanks for all your advice Jack, my wire mesh arrived today so just waiting for the riccia now and hopefully I can be under way shortly, wish me luck lol

Back