• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants that don't need a substrate?

IanD

I'm trying to put together a list of plants that don't want to be planted in a substrate. Here is my list so far, can you think of any additions? Can Crypts be added to the list? I'm looking for shorter plants ideally.

Anubias
Java Fern
Mosses
Bolbitis heudelotii
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Microsorum pteropus - various
Monosolenium tenerum
Hyrdrocotyle Verticillata
Ranunculus Inundatus

Tropica grow crypts on lava rock too, so guess they don't need a substrate, I've seen hc grown on a host also, and there's riccia fluitans, pelia....
.....all floating plants too ;)

Really?! Tell me more!

if you google it you will find plenty of disscussions and photos, personaly i think it's just another form of Bolbitis or Microsorum but there is a lot of speculation at the moment, possibly named after the late Mr Lim Kim Kiat, founder of South Island Aquarium. BTW Living waters in Croydon has some for sale on their website at the moment but it looks different to all the other photos i have seen.

if you google it you will find plenty of disscussions and photos, personaly i think it's just another form of Bolbitis or Microsorum but there is a lot of speculation at the moment, possibly named after the late Mr Lim Kim Kiat, founder of South Island Aquarium. BTW Living waters in Croydon has some for sale on their website at the moment but it looks different to all the other photos i have seen.

Cheers, had a scout on Google. Hmm...controversial. It'd be nice if it was a cross, but I'm inclined to agree with you.

If my understanding of the topic is correct, you may add there most of ludwigias and Egeria najas - they can tolerete asbence of substrate.

its not easy taking a pic of it. its the same mesh most people use to get fissidens growing on a rock.

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

Tropica grow crypts on lava rock too, so guess they don't need a substrate, I've seen hc grown on a host also, and there's riccia fluitans, pelia....
.....all floating plants too ;)

Floating plants eh? Not what I was looking for but a valid answer all the same :) I'm happy no one suggested Algae!

I think underwater hydroponics is possible with most of the popular plants we keep!
If you supply enough of the right conditions then any plant is worth the ettemt!
Think about what you want to achieve & applied the basics to see what will happen!
I have personally grown cryps & glosso without substrate.

Ranunculus without substrate? Ime this plant has quite a good root system. Just remember a lot of these root are and can be quite sensitive to light.

Back