• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Wood ID

alpha 30

Seedling
Hi,
I found this piece of wood on the beach and I was wondering if anybody could help me identify it to see if it's ok to put it in my fish tank.
Thank you.
dsc0053jq.jpg
[/URL] [/IMG]
dsc0053jq.jpg
[/URL] [/IMG]

Looking at the widely spaced growth rings and the compact root ball with no major tap roots I'd say that wasa softwood stump (probably a pine or cypress) and I wouldn't use it submerged in a tank personally. However you could soak it and see what happens if you really like the shape.

Hi all,
Looking at the widely spaced growth rings and the compact root ball with no major tap roots I'd say that wasa softwood stump (probably a pine or cypress) and I wouldn't use it submerged in a tank personally. However you could soak it and see what happens if you really like the shape.
This has been posted on "Planet Catfish" as well <View topic - Little help>, my thoughts were the same as Ed's (probably Cupressus macrocarpa), but looking at the bark and wood colour it might be Plum or Cherry (Prunus). You can see prominent horizontal lenticels on the bark.

cheers Darrel

My guess too would be something like a Cypress, though the prominent lenticels do suggest plum or some sort of cherry. The trouble with finding things on the beach is that it could be almost anything from anywhere ! One thing for certain though, it hasn't been in the water for any length of time and is newly dead. So it will try hard to float and will want to go through a decay process, irrespective of whether it is a "safe" species or not. If it were me I'd look for something else.
Cheers
David

well the bark looks like a member of the prunus family ( cherry ) but the pics are very small.

Back