• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
This is looking great and a very interesting read, for me this is a very new way of growing moss... Interesting stuff and I will be watching with great interested in the results, which I'm sure will be a success.
Why the Greek yogurt though? What's wrong with a good old fashioned Ski yogurt or Munch Bunch come to think of it ;) only joking :)

You finally did it!

Good job, now keep it misted and relatively cool, let it air out a little after a week or two.

At 2-3 weeks in, it should be ready to go.

Light, you do not need much, 20-40 umol should be fine, if you add a bit more later, not an issue.

I have these same mosses/liverworts sitting right under my lights slightly above water on the surface, maybe 600-700 umols?
But plenty of water access.

Once they attach, they will be fine.
Then crank the CO2/add water etc.

Hi,

Ole Pedersen recommended a yoghurt containing L. acidophilus. Apparently the acidity helps prevent fungal growth. One blob is exactly 5.34ml. :)
The layout is looking great, George. Can't wait to see it fully planted. Have you decided on the stocking yet?

I' m curious about the yoghurt.:) Is it only because of the low pH that you use it or does it have other effects to?

Hi,

Ole Pedersen recommended a yoghurt containing L. acidophilus. Apparently the acidity helps prevent fungal growth. One blob is exactly 5.34ml. :)

Note that people that do vivariums use yoghurt and moss, for many years.. :) it is a very good way to get the moss going.

Good to see the moss paste pics George. This is a really interesting journal. This is what a journal should be about. Make sure you keep us upto date on the moss growth (with pics).

Thanks all. :)

... Have you decided on the stocking yet?

I' m curious about the yoghurt.:) Is it only because of the low pH that you use it or does it have other effects to?
Fish selection is a long way off yet. A shoal of something small, no doubt.

I'm not sure about the science behind the yoghurt. Sorry!

Cheers,
George

I also don't know why it works. :) just that it does.. :)

I am very excited about this scape.. It will look awesome.. Well it does already, but it will look more awesome (if grammar allows for this construct).

Tomorrow I plant the remaining plants (mainly hairgrass and some stems).

Tomorrow never comes ;)
It better, the suspense is killing me George :).....

Thanks all! :)

So now I've almost finished planting... :)

I was thrilled when my youngest daughter, Florence, expressed a genuine interest in helping out her Dad. Here she is planting some Ammania sp. 'Bonsai' behind red Ludwigia...

8440804534_b7c4c592c6_o.jpg
florence2 by George Farmer, on Flickr

...and preparing Eleocharis parvula. :)

8439714321_08aa76ef25_o.jpg
florence1 by George Farmer, on Flickr

Today we plant Eleocharis 'mini'. :)

8439714915_762eef6dce_o.jpg
planted1 by George Farmer, on Flickr

I'll post more pics once it's fully planted. :)

Cheers,
George

looking great as usual, looking forward to seeing how the moss does, I have heard it floats off the wood but time wil tell.. Im sur you have used methods to reduce te chances of this! like yoghurt! lol

Looking Good! i wish i could get my boy interested but he has just discovered girls so no chance for about the next 10 years! :rolleyes:
planted tanks are much easier to understand :lol:

Back