• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hair algae - is the Fluval Ebi light too much?

I have been trying to dose 2 specific areas my HC that i had to replant as original carpet started to lift a bit because i did not trim it enough.And an algae issue in an area of Java moss i think caused by lacking of flow when the stem plants went physco while i was on holiday!Before i was dosing with flow on tank is co2 injected as well,main reason though was to try to help HC growth was i wrong?Cheers mark

When you say flow, do you just mean extra circulation pumps or your filter? How long do you have it off for, a few mins or all night?
If its to boost carbon availability then it definitely wants to be at the start of the photoperiod as its the only time the plants will use the carbon. At night time it's wasted as the plants want oxygen not carbon. I'd just add it to the tank pre lights on and let it circulate as a boost to your gas for the benefit of all the plants, spot dosing for a few mins may be beneficial i suppose but if your hc is struggling maybe your flow/distribution needs looking at....the trim you gave may have already helped.
Cheerio,
Ady

I was turning off filter plus circulation pump for 10min aprox and feeding fish and shrimp at same time.Yep is co2 injected 2.5 hours before lights on goes off 1 hour before lights off.Co2 bubbles all over the 450l tank they sweep right through the HC which is at the front of the tank covering about a 70cm length and 25cm(aprox)section,HC is swaying nicely in the flow as almost every plant in the tank.It's when i had to replant the HC it was looking worse for wear now colour is returning probably needs a trim and replant cuttings.It took over 10hours to replant with no breaks apart from the odd coffee and Jeff Hurst!Cheers mark

Ah, cool, you should see an improvement now, maybe it just didn't like the trim and replant and needed time to adjust. No harm in spot dosing whilst feeding etc. all sounds perfect now, as long as your not over illuminating!
Cheerio

I'm keeping lit just under 7 hours better open another thread think i have hijacked this one enough thanks for the good solid advice Ady.Cheers Mark

The thing with liquid carbon is that it only has a maximum of 24hr active life once in the aquarium before it is either used up by your plants or broken down into ineffective compounds. If you put 6ml in one day, then leave it for three days, then your plants are getting a huge hit of carbon for the first 24hrs, then going hungry for the rest of the time.....additionally it is more likely to have a detrimental effect on livestock overdosing in such a way. There is also no benefit to having a rest day with carbon either as you cannot build up an excess as with pressurised it gasses off continuously, and with liquid products it has a shelf life in the water. I'm sure if you offered less, but every day things would improve further for you. You just need to get the right amount to feed their needs. I'd start at double the recommended dosage on your mature systems.
Here's a nice synopsis of liquid carbon from Richard at Aquaessentials:
Liquid Carbon in a planted aquarium | The Planted Aquarium Blog
Having said all that, if your tanks are working for you then happy days, but do you not also dose carbonated water to boost co2? This could be helping the plants get the extra carbon......what days do you add the carbonated water, consistently, the days you don't dose liquid carbon?
Cheerio,
Ady,

Thanks again for the Reply Mate, as for what u said, yes I do dose 6ml of carbonated water every morning, I also do this as well as the LC every three days.. Do u suggest I continue the 6ml carbonated water but take on the 2ml LC daily also? Maybe I shouldn't use carbonated water on the days I use LC, what's your opinion on this?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I say the more the merrier regards carbon input....as long as you're consistent. If you're not consistent then much like an addict, there will be a more noticeable cold turkey from the plants if you forget. Carbonated water and liquid carbon offer different carbon sources so its safe to add both at once without risk to fauna. I would definitely be more inclined to go with every day dosing of both, with the reduced quantity if liquid carbon you suggest of 2ml per day (maybe even 1ml, cant remember your tank sizes?... but im sure if youve been dosing 6ml quantities, then 2ml will be fine).
As good as your tanks are now, I think they would benefit more from consistent amounts of both.
Cheerio
Ady

Thanks ady, of course there is always room for improvement, thanks for the time Mate. I'll make sure I shed more discipline into my hobby :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Back