• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Discus in Hard water

mi casa

Hi all:) I got 2 Discus today from my LFS chris said he as had them for 4 weeks and they are in tap water and said that that have all been bread in hard water. Will i need to go over to RO or can i stay with tap water? my co2 brings my ph down but i know the hardness stays the same what should i do in the long run.

I have kept domestic (not wild caught) Discus in moderately hard water from babies to adulthood with no issues. pH 7.4 12DGH.
They did not breed,but tried.

Agree with the above. If you keep domestically bred fish (preferably tougher varieties and reared in harder water (usually German or UK bred)) and don't want to breed them then they should be fine. I'd be wary of more inbred newer varieties and stick to older, less inbred forms and definitely stay away from any bred in the Far East and definitely, definitely not wild caught ones.

Hi thank you all. As far as i know they are uk fish chris at crystal clear my lfs pick them up him self and said he as used the same guy for 15 years and and they are hard water bred. my ph is 7 all the time so i'm happy with that. Not sure what they are on pidgin blood i think and one blue with brown markings. They keep coming out form the plant every now and then and liked the blood worm i gave them. How many can i keep in my 200l thank i have 40 neons and 100+ cherry shrimp i was thinking 4 get 2 more at the end of the month?.:)

Id stay clear of live bloodworm if possible. Have you got any pics of the fish? Out of curiosity what temp do you keep your tank at? And because of your bioload id say no more than two more unless their juviniles in which case 4 more. But remember, if you get juviniles they require a LOT of feeding and waterchanges to grow (i feed mine 5x a day and change 50pc of water every other day.

On a final note keep an eye on your cherries...... they can become an expensive snack for larger discus.

Hi no i get frozen blood worms they are small about 1half inch disc I'm doing 25l water change every day before i put my fertz in. I was thinking only 2 more as want to keep long term. As for the cherry shrimp i should have put 200+ i started with 15 a year ago so i think i can lose one or two. my tank is at 28.6c and drops to 26 over night as it is open topped. i will put some photos up in the next few day when i get my camera back.:)

I'd stick at 4. They are large fish once mature.

BTW is the fish in your avatar one of your tetras? If so you have cardinals, not neons.

Your temperature shouldn't be dropping that much really with the lights off. What lighting are you using? Being open topped your lights shouldn't be having that much effect. You can get temperature controllers that will operate some cooling fans as well as your heater and keep your temperature stable to within 0.3 degrees C.

Hi it was the battery in my temp gauge got a new one and it only dropped 0.2 last night so sitting nice at 28c. No the fish is not one of mine lol. I use all LED lighting TMC grow beams:)

Just done water change and feed them some flake and all seam well good times:) will defrost some boold worm for the tea:)

CRIM0010_zps3d446707.jpg.png
Got a snap of one of them at tea time

hi got now i think. can you tell what type it is from the photo.
CRIM0010_zps3d446707.jpg

Hi just waiting for lights to come on @ 2.00pm so will take some and put them up now i know how to.:)

got a good shot of the red one and a photo of there new home.
CRIM0019_zps1527dc0f.jpg

Back