• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Crypto Islands

mi casa

Hi all so after some time i have finally got off my bum and started my journal so here goes. The tank is 4ft long 2ft deep and 1ft wide about 180l only cost £40 from my LFS it was in a mess had to strip it out all the old sealant and start from scratch. we wanted a focal point in the house so we started to do a referb on the house a big job but well worth it. we wanted some thing to separate the front room and the dining room so i planted the seed to my wife about a fish tank job done:) so off we went ripping every thing out. this is a photo of the frame work.
CRIM0338_zps071674b0.jpg

Then with the tank in place some light in and all pastered all the pipe work will come out the boxing out around the tank and all the filters will sit underneath
Photo012_zpsd18c1df8.jpg

And a hot with the wood in.
Photo014_zps6c19dd3a.jpg

and and another one.
Photo016_zps86279152.jpg

looking smart.will be watching this one ;thumbup:

I then went out and got 4 Tmc Aqua grow LED'S 6500k and replaced the spot lights for 5 35w Halolite lamps 6500k and sent off for my filter All pond EF1400 as i had a fluval 305 and want to run both. The sub is JLB Mandano the plants are as follows
Crypto Wendil x2
Crypto Becketti x2
Weeping moss x2
Rotala Rotundifollia x2

Gas comes on 2hr before light and off 2hrs before lights off EL fertz. Light 8hr a day.
Fish: 40 neons 200+ Cherry shrimp 2 New Discus.

Photo048_zps53961c96.jpg

All planted and filled up this was a week in i have taken the Colombo out it was just in to help it along.

Hi all just a quick post before work. Got a few snaps last night so this is 9 months on had a few changes last week and a good chop down on the rotala and planted some swords and valls in the corners.
CRIM0042_zps6ec1a935.jpg

the crypto as gone mad and is filling out nice. had to tae the moss off and retie it on as it had grown out of hand but i can see the fish now. The Rotala will grow back out of the Crypyo in to a nice bush again in the next few weeks.
CRIM0001_zpsccda805a.jpg

The last time i had the Swords planted in the tank they grow out the top and sent babys sprouting out all over so that should fill the side out nice.

Looks great, excellent layout for a narrow tank!
The moss looks great, but id be tempted to thin the crypts on the left of the last picture a little.
Are your lights independant, or do you have a bulb out? i know its obvious, but just curious as to whether you use them for ramp up/ramp down times?
Cheerio,
Ady.

Hi got a bulb out need to go and get one. My spot lights come on at 2pm for the 1st hr then at 3pm the LED's come on. Then the LED'S go off at 9pm leaving the spot lights on for the last Hr. The spots look bright in the photos but there not they say the are the equivalent to a 35w but its more like 20w they are used just to fill any gaps and to give a sort of sun rise and set.

A happy bright red Cherry shrimp going about her work and keeping my tank nice and clean.
CRIM0058_zps783644e4.jpg

This is Fantastic!

Really like the quality of build, the lighting is excellent can you explain a little more about the type of bulbs and fittings.

The moss looks great on the wood.

HI the bulbs are 35w halolite energy saving bulb 6500k cool white. GU10 fitting form Screw Fix £12.00 each. Going to change them for LED'S when the price comes down as at the moment they are £28.00 each and as i will need 5 that not far of £150 so will have to wait for now.:)

Hi i agree about the crypt it does need a trim was going to leave for the next week or so because i cut that much off a week ago i just wanted thing to settle down and let my new fish settle in to. But it will get a trim.:)

Just been up to get some plants i got some Pogostemon Helferi. It's to go in front of the crypt just to give bit more of a transition from the open ground to the fuller part. so just pulling it in to little plant it looks a bit leggy but will fill out nice under my lights will put up photos when done.:)

Got some new Glass ware from one of the sponsors a new c02 diff and am loving it.
CRIM0080_zps81691cfc.jpg

The new plant are sitting in nice. Just cut and replant some steams so the water is a bit cloudy in the next few pic's sorry:)

CRIM0067_zpsbd544ab9.jpg

CRIM0084_zps410a5b2d.jpg

Back