• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
This is a great journal ! I like the idea of the bespoke top... sorry if I missed it but are these easy enough to find someone to make ? It would almost make getting an open top tank an option for me (the Mrs wont allow it cos she reckons it will chuck out too much humidity).

And can I ask about that eleocharis mini grass stuff... it looks super healthy and you said you cut it up, but can you describe what you actually do to it ? IE where do you cut etc ? Ive always liked the look of a grassy section in some peoples tanks and might give it a bash. Thanks.

This is a great journal ! I like the idea of the bespoke top... sorry if I missed it but are these easy enough to find someone to make ? It would almost make getting an open top tank an option for me (the Mrs wont allow it cos she reckons it will chuck out too much humidity).

And can I ask about that eleocharis mini grass stuff... it looks super healthy and you said you cut it up, but can you describe what you actually do to it ? IE where do you cut etc ? Ive always liked the look of a grassy section in some peoples tanks and might give it a bash. Thanks.
Thanks Jason. :)

I got my local glazier to make me a 60x45cm 6mm optiwhite toughened with polished edges. It cost £25. I pick it up today actually.

To prep the mini grass I cut the whole surface planting into 4 equal-width strips, then cut each strip into 1-2cm portions.

Here's a quick update pic taken with my phone, because my daughter keeps hogging the DSLR!

8452136721_403d870bd7_z.jpg
Florence shooting by George Farmer, on Flickr

Hi George,
with a hardscape as full as this with increased substrate heights, do you take into consideration what species of plants you plant where to help with any distribution issues.
My guess would be that your planning on positioning your lily pipe inlet and outlets at the front right hand side of the tank which given the hardscape may leave a slight dead spot at the very right foreground? You may be positioning them elsewhere of course, I'd just like to get your take on it.
If that's where the pipes are positioned, the rest of the hardscape and planting look well positioned to maximise distribution, I just can't quite see what you've got in the right front other than hair grass.
Cheers
Ady

looking good cannot wait to see grown in, keep us updated george, very helpful

Thanks Dean

BTW, the mini grass will grow like normal hairgrass emergent, but..............submersed growth will stay small.

So as the new runners appear(1-2 weeks), then trim the taller old emergent leaves.
They will do no good afterwards, so 2-4 weeks, trim them off.

Hi George,
with a hardscape as full as this with increased substrate heights, do you take into consideration what species of plants you plant where to help with any distribution issues.
My guess would be that your planning on positioning your lily pipe inlet and outlets at the front right hand side of the tank which given the hardscape may leave a slight dead spot at the very right foreground? You may be positioning them elsewhere of course, I'd just like to get your take on it.
If that's where the pipes are positioned, the rest of the hardscape and planting look well positioned to maximise distribution, I just can't quite see what you've got in the right front other than hair grass.
Cheers
Ady
Hi Ady

Great questions and comments - as to be expected from you! :)

In summary my plant choice and position is purely down to the aquascape design from an aesthetic perspective. I have not considered circulation patterns.

The filter outlet/inlet will be on the right, because the aquarium will be viewed mostly from the left - hence the negative space on the left too.

You're right to 'warn' about the potential dead-spot on the front right but I'm not worried. It's mostly E. mini there, and it's not demanding. I'll be using fairly powerful filtration (likely Fluval G3) which should get the CO2 in all four corners. If it doesn't I'll make adjustments, as appropriate.

Cheers,
George

BTW, the mini grass will grow like normal hairgrass emergent, but..............submersed growth will stay small.

So as the new runners appear(1-2 weeks), then trim the taller old emergent leaves.
They will do no good afterwards, so 2-4 weeks, trim them off.
Thanks for the tips, Tom. All the best with the yoghurt method - it doesn't smell that bad. :)

This is an amazing Journal. I love the fact that your daughter gets involved. Can't wait to see it mature over the coming weeks.

Hi all,

Thanks for all of the lovely feedback. :)

It's been 8 days since planting and I'm happy with the results so far.

There's definite growth of most plants, including the mosses. I had to remove the petite Anubias and micro fern as they were totally melted (they were submersed form and kept in cold garage for 4 weeks prior!)

I've been too busy to get out the camera so here's a very quick and poorly produced video taken on my phone - but least you get an idea...

I'll try to get some decent photos up soon. :)

Cheers,
George

Why is every one so keen to see the tank full of water!
I thought the idea was to let the plants establish roots & put on a bit of fast growth?
I love the look of the tank without water & I would love to see how it develops in this state, this is a very good & exciting experiment that might just aid us all in the long run!
Please have patients George ;)

I've been lucky enough to see this tank in the flesh, so to speak, and it really is awesome, great plant choice, especially loved the Hottonia in the back right top corner. Defo going to try and incorporate that in a future setup :) The idea with the mosses is very intriguing too. The hard scape is wonderful George, very innovative use of rocks and wood placement to compliment each other.

Thanks guys. :)

The subject of patience is an interesting one - I like the term "delayed gratification". I'd like to keep this 'dry' for a while longer.

Here are some pics I took last night.

Here are the melted Anubias petite and micro fern...

8466552933_05b2e7f7ed_o.jpg
melted plants by George Farmer, on Flickr

But the remaining plants look great.

8467648552_39f57703d7_o.jpg
full tank day 8 by George Farmer, on Flickr

8466553653_98770d694c_o.jpg
close mid by George Farmer, on Flickr

8467649184_072bac22c1_o.jpg
ludwigia by George Farmer, on Flickr

8467649438_98e870741a_o.jpg
left side view by George Farmer, on Flickr

8466554201_bf6f2b50ce_o.jpg
left covered by George Farmer, on Flickr

8467649806_55bff07b04_o.jpg
full covered by George Farmer, on Flickr

8466554537_5ed5d4dabb_o.jpg
left wood by George Farmer, on Flickr

8466554861_62707f28d4_o.jpg
ludwigia hottonia by George Farmer, on Flickr

8467650486_855dab55e9_o.jpg
wood right by George Farmer, on Flickr

8467650684_ac325a86cd_o.jpg
fine riccardia by George Farmer, on Flickr

8467650812_def2529c80_o.jpg
ludwigia2 by George Farmer, on Flickr

8467651040_5c361505eb_o.jpg
ammania bonsai by George Farmer, on Flickr

8466556027_7576f3d99f_o.jpg
ammania2 by George Farmer, on Flickr

8467651514_ec7b6b743b_o.jpg
misting by George Farmer, on Flickr

8467651968_022a38384e_o.jpg
overhead2 by George Farmer, on Flickr

8466556789_9173bacc0e_o.jpg
situ day 8 by George Farmer, on Flickr

It's looking amazing! Great Journal, learning a lot.

Going to be some very lucky fish/shrimp to eventually move in here :)

Some great shots plants look in good health growth can be seen what is going to be interesting for me is what happens with the plant matter you pasted onto the wood.Well done watching with anticipation Cheers mark

Back