• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
This is great, do you think there could be issues when you do eventually flood it with the plants readjusting to life under water? I have not seen this method domcumented in such detail before so was curious. I would never have the 'patience' for this I would have filled it days ago :) hence why I'm not known for my aquascaping talents lol.

Thanks, all. :)

The latest photos are a bit of a cheat I'm afraid.... Usually the inside glass is covered with condensation so you can't really see what's in there. For me this is the biggest reason I'm wanting to flood it sooner rather than later. I'm constantly up against the glass trying to get a good peak! lol

The main factor for trying the DSM was to try out the moss-blending technique. Now that seems to have worked, and the moss is affixed to the hardscape, I don't think it will be long before I flood... Sorry foxfish! :)

This is great, do you think there could be issues when you do eventually flood it with the plants readjusting to life under water? I have not seen this method domcumented in such detail before so was curious. I would never have the 'patience' for this I would have filled it days ago :) hence why I'm not known for my aquascaping talents lol.
Thanks. :)

All of the plants will have to go through a phase of adjustment and this is the mostly likely time they'll be issues I think.

My plan is to use a lot of CO2 and water changes to hopefully help. I will also run less light intensity and shorter photoperiod to help prevent algae.

Cheers,
George

Here are the melted Anubias petite and micro fern...
Those two need very high levels of humidity to survive emersed, you can add them later when you flood it, if you ever do ;)
Looking awesome so far :) wonder if the coral pellia will attach!!

Have you had any thoughts to fauna yet George? That plant in the back right is really nice looking, mind you the whole tank is looking good.
Hi Derek,

I popped into my LFS today and they had some nice Ember tetras. Nice small size, good colour and shape - 15 or so should look good. That and a load of cherry shrimp. Microrasbora kubotai are another contender with a subtler coloration when against the green planting, but nice contrast with the red Ludwigia and rocks (before they're fully coated in moss).

I'm open to other ideas, of course. :)

Cheers,
George

Nice little fish, I have something similar Axelrodia riisei they have a nice schooling behaviour. One fish I would suggest is the Jelly Bean tetra. I had these many years ago and been wanting the ever since for my planted tank. I would recommend them if you can get them.

Nice little fish, I have something similar Axelrodia riisei they have a nice schooling behaviour. One fish I would suggest is the Jelly Bean tetra. I had these many years ago and been wanting the ever since for my planted tank. I would recommend them if you can get them.
Thanks, Derek. :)

Funnily enough I also saw some Jelly bean tetras last week in The Waterzoo (Peterborough) and thought they would look good. Also stay small. I think the family were after something more colourful though, so we will see. :)

Embers would look great! Not sure on the microboras though, the green tends to get a little lost in the planting ime. They also love jumping.

Great pictures mate and although I am looking forward to seeing lucky fish in there I think the DSM is Woking great, my hair grass roots are massive from doing this and hopefully when flood will grow lush, great progress so far keep the pics coming

Thanks Dean

:wideyed: Flood it!!!

I think I'll be flooding it this weekend. Although I may empty it again as soon as the moss detaches! Fingers-crossed it doesn't...

I'll be using 12mm gUSH nano inlet and outlet, Fluval G3 filter and Up Aqua inline CO2. Heating will be done by my £13 heating mat. :)

I wrote a review of the glassware here - [REVIEW] gUSH glassware | UK Aquatic Plant Society

I will be using mostly RO water as I have better plant growth with softer water, and tetras prefer it.

I'm quite excited, but also a little anxious about how the plants will fare during the transistion.

I think I'll be flooding it this weekend. Although I may empty it again as soon as the moss detaches! Fingers-crossed it doesn't...

I'll be using 12mm gUSH nano inlet and outlet, Fluval G3 filter and Up Aqua inline CO2. Heating will be done by my £13 heating mat. :)

I wrote a review of the glassware here - [REVIEW] gUSH glassware | UK Aquatic Plant Society

I will be using mostly RO water as I have better plant growth with softer water, and tetras prefer it.

I'm quite excited, but also a little anxious about how the plants will fare during the transistion.
Exciting times George! Great journal so far, a good learning curve.
Still cant believe you have been playing with yoghurt! Mental

Anyway one final thing......................................:what:FLOOD IT!

Hi George,
are you not tempted to leave this just another week to ensure the moss is attached? If you flood it now and it detaches, won't that set you back a month or so?
Will you be running your inline co2 diffuser on the filter inlet or return pipe?

It's looking great already and I'm loving the look of the Hottonia palustris, I've not seen that one before. The ludwigia will add a nice bar of colour too without being too 'in yer face' for the subtle tones of the rock and wood in this more natural feeling layout.
Really looking forward to seeing it with water, but it would be a shame for the moss not to have settled properly and cause issues......
Cheerio,
Ady.

Hi Ady, thanks for the questions and comments, as always. :)

I'll be running the CO2 on the outlet; at least to start with so I can physically see the circulation pattern. If I get fed up with the mist I may switch to the inlet.

I don't want to speak too soon but I'm quietly confident the moss will remain in place. I've sprayed it directly up close and it hasn't budged.

I'm also experiencing minor algae amongst the mini grass where the water is collecting in the shallows - I have probably sprayed too much water over the last couple of weeks but I was paranoid about the moss drying out.

I think the algae will get worse quite quickly due to the high light intensity and long photoperiod. It will be interesting to see what happens to it after flooding with less light etc.

Cheers
George

I don't want to speak too soon but I'm quietly confident the moss will remain in place. I've sprayed it directly up close and it hasn't budged.

I'm also experiencing minor algae amongst the mini grass where the water is collecting in the shallows - I have probably sprayed too much water over the last couple of weeks but I was paranoid about the moss drying out.

I think the algae will get worse quite quickly due to the high light intensity and long photoperiod. It will be interesting to see what happens to it after flooding with less light etc.

Cheers
George
Ah, i see, sounds like the moss may well be ok then.....even with G3 power! :)
Do you think the algae is due to standing water above the substrate level, and If so, would you keep the water level no higher than substrate level for future dsm plantings to try and avoid avoid it?
I'm sure after flooding you will be able to control it with reduced lighting and good co2.

Great journal so far, a very comprehensive dry start method step by step!.....for me the best is still to come ;)
Cheerio,
Ady.

Is it BGA? I also had it when I dry-started some time ago. If so, I'd go for a 3-4 day blackout prior to flooding.

Using excel now while emersed might be too strong as there's little volume of water. It would kill the plants as well.

I have probably sprayed too much water over the last couple of weeks but I was paranoid about the moss drying out.

Drop the water level.. :) below the substrate. Use a fine mesh and a co2 pipe to suck it out, or use one of this:
Selling-Ear-Wash-Ball.jpg

Back