• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Allpondsolutions 1400ef+

nduli

Hi guys

Received my 1400ef+ today. Would have been set up by now if 2 of the media trays weren't broken and if the uv switch on the head unit hadn't fallen into the unit. Hopefully aps will sort me out without too much hassle but couple of quick questions..

I have the eheim installation set (inlet and outlet) anyone got any experience of using either the eheim hose onto the filter or using the slightly smaller aps hose onto the installation set?

What is the best order for the media, does the water flow from the top of the filter down, therefore ceramics, bio balls then something else at the bottom?

Can you remove the floss cotton on the bottom of each of the trays to improve flow, does it help significantly? Can you replace with a more open filter sponge (like the eheim blues)

Good choice on a filter! Unfortunatly, that seems to be a recurring problem for them. Email support and they will ask for a picture of it. They should send one out and you dont have to send it back. I repaired mine myself so now have two :D I believe it flows from bottom to top. And you can remove the floss to put better media in.

I have the 1000 model and the UV switch cover snapped off but it's not a huge issue sorry to hear about yours.I like allponds for the value but sometimes quality is not best. I'm currently trying to get a replacement hang-on that arrived cracked. I run mine ceramic rings on bottom, the plastic bio balls and leave the top open for carbon or to seed other filters. I left all the wool stuff in, never tried it without because the flow is good enough as it is. Good luck

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Cheers, yes saw your post. Hoping they will do the same with me then I could either run both or have a spare :)
Do you find the flow is better in the 2000 without the uv?
Richard
the uv does not seem to make a difference to the flow as far as i can tell.
Do you run the plastic balls? Never used them and just wondered how effective they are.
i do run the plastic balls but its hard to determine how effective media is. since cycling the tank aside from adding 8 discus ive never had a reading od ammonia or nitrites so somethings working!

I have the 1000 model and the UV switch cover snapped off but it's not a huge issue sorry to hear about yours.I like allponds for the value but sometimes quality is not best. I'm currently trying to get a replacement hang-on that arrived cracked. I run mine ceramic rings on bottom, the plastic bio balls and leave the top open for carbon or to seed other filters. I left all the wool stuff in, never tried it without because the flow is good enough as it is. Good luck

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the help, I suspected all canisters worked the same but have only ever run eheim's so wasn't sure.

the uv does not seem to make a difference to the flow as far as i can tell.

i do run the plastic balls but its hard to determine how effective media is. since cycling the tank aside from adding 8 discus ive never had a reading od ammonia or nitrites so somethings working!

Thanks for the help - you do have a massive amount of filtering going on in your tank, I was half tempted to ask them to upgrade me (with contribution) after seeing size of your filters and the reviews you did. Maybe on the next tank which is probably about due in my head, just not in the better halfs :)

Allpondsolutions have sent a new head unit along with 2 media baskets. Annoyingly they didn't arrive in time for the weekend but there was no debate as to whether they should be replaced just needed to provide photos.

Plumbed in the tubes they supply into the eheim installation set and they fit perfectly. Hopefully the filter will drive the installation sets properly. The eheim rated at 1050lph seemed to do ok so the aps at 1400 should be ok.

Fingers crossed they will arrive Monday. Blue filter foam ordered as well to swap out some of the finer filter wool.

Filter has arrived. Convinced head unit has already been used. :)
Plumbed it all in. Took 10 pumps to get it primed. Flow great, nice and quiet so far. Eheim installation set one and two work a treat to for those not happy with quality of the inlets and spray bars that's a realistic option for you.

Happy so far.....

Filter has arrived. Convinced head unit has already been used. :)
Plumbed it all in. Took 10 pumps to get it primed. Flow great, nice and quiet so far. Eheim installation set one and two work a treat to for those not happy with quality of the inlets and spray bars that's a realistic option for you.

Happy so far.....
i thought the same, at the moment theve been testing a lot of the pumps before they send them out. mine had water inside but it was clean.

I've got a 2000 running alongside an Ehiem 2128 on my mbuna tank and this is a great filter. And for £60 it's about a fifth of the cost of the Ehiem (Ok without the heating part it's more like half - third)!

The only grumbles are the flimsiness and construction of the plastic used for media trays and inlet and outlets and the sizing of the inlet and outlet pipes. For £10 more they could have moulded thicker trays and for probably less money could have supplied a simpler but sturdier inlet and outlet like the Ehiem shepherds crooks.

Apart from that they may use a bit more power than other filters but with wider inlet and outlets they kick out a decent flow. If only you could get 25mm Eheim inlets and outlets!

Ed, agree trays and inlet and outlets very flimsy. On the eheim pipes you can't get 25mm but 16mm internal of the install sets runs very well off the 1400. It projects nearly the entire length of the 80cm tank I have and the inlet has a sponge cover for shrimp safety. Convinced it would a washing machine without it.

Links to the install sets below for reference if you haven't seen before.

Eheim Installation Sets 2 | Aquarium Supplies

Eheim Installation Set 2 Hose Size 16/22mm [4011708401385] - €21.84 : ArkPetsOnline.co.uk

I hate my 2000 ef, I wish i brought a used eheim 2260 or fx5

Can you let me know what the major issues are? Whilst I have a 1400 now I am only a week or two into ownership and haven't done any filter maintenance yet so not been exposed to any issues.

Flow wise I removed all but last piece of white padding and flow was much improved.

Back