• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
loving this journal so far george, lots of good info and inspirational layout, personally i don't know how you have waited this long to flood after being away from a tank for so long :) are you going to weight the wood down for flooding just in case or are you happy it is water logged enough from the spraying the tank has recieved ?

This has been a great learning curve for me and I'm sure many others too - I'm really glad you did this dry start George, it's been a great journal and read so far with great photos too, it really does look superb!... But I am looking forward to seeing some fish in it now enjoying a great new home - well done so far mate.

Loving your tank. Great plant growth too. I am excited about the mosses done by the yoghurt method. The minor algae is because the extremely high level of ferts and amonia in to your standing water. I empty mine every few days with dropper ar very thin pipe. I have tested the amonia level and..........was horrified. I am also paranoid about the mosses bein too dry:eek: i think that algae problem will not affect the flooded tank at all...as lon as you drain completely the first water out of the tank. Sorry about the pettite mine is not melted I dont know whyo_O I just trow it on the wood and it attach itself. Good luck with the flood:)

George, I've been watching this thread for a while and would like to tell you how useful your posts have been. The in depth approach has answered many of my questions on this method, and for many other people too judging from the responses. You just don't get this amount of detailed info in an edited article in a magazine or a "how to" article.
Also this scape is one of my favourite of your designs, and the design process was a real lesson for me (I am pretty much a "Woo hoo, chuck it in and see what happens" kind of guy).

All the best from Bill. :D

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Drop the water level.. :) below the substrate. Use a fine mesh and a co2 pipe to suck it out, or use one of this:
Selling-Ear-Wash-Ball.jpg

Aren't they called 'douches' :lol:

Just for foxfish FLOOD it haha. Great scape. Would also wait for the dry start to get the plants more full. Thats the reason for a dru start any way? That wood work looks great

Thanks, as always, for all of the comments. :)

I've loved trying out a few different techniques with this tank - it's been a real joy to get back into the aquascaping hobby and also to share the journey with you guys. I really think the yoghurt method could catch-on (pun intended!) and may create a separate Tutorial topic on this method.

... are you going to weight the wood down for flooding just in case or are you happy it is water logged enough from the spraying the tank has recieved ?
Yes, I will use a couple of stones to ensure there's no floaters. Then I can slowly lift them and inspect for any signs of movement... :)

Just for foxfish FLOOD it haha. Great scape. Would also wait for the dry start to get the plants more full. Thats the reason for a dru start any way? That wood work looks great
My main reason for the DSM was to get the mosses attached without me having to either stick my fingers together with superglue or tie my fingers to the wood with thread! lol

Anyway, tonight I am busy with this tank, so hopefully expect some updates soon... :)

Cheers,
George

Do you think the algae is due to standing water above the substrate level, and If so, would you keep the water level no higher than substrate level for future dsm plantings to try and avoid avoid it?
Simple answer mate - yes. :)

Is it BGA? I also had it when I dry-started some time ago. If so, I'd go for a 3-4 day blackout prior to flooding.

Using excel now while emersed might be too strong as there's little volume of water. It would kill the plants as well.
No, it's not BGA. I would probably be in a state of panic if it were! It's like a green variety of the soft brown algae you often see in new set-ups. Real easy to remove. I'm not really worried about it....yet... :)

Hi all,

It's flooded. :)

The process went without a hitch and I'm thoroughly pleased with the results so far.

The wood didn't float and all of the moss had remained attached.

I've lowered the lighting to around 35 PAR at the substrate for a 6 hour photoperiod.

The CO2 is very high - about 5BPS through an inline diffuser.

I'm planning to change about 70% water every day for a week, then 50% twice per week after that.

I'm dosing TPN+, as well as Aqua Rebel's Special N and Micro. All 1ml each every day.

Before...
8480548396_b5389cb386_c.jpg
covered by George Farmer, on Flickr

Ready for filling
8479454795_4ee8c355da_o.jpg
empty by George Farmer, on Flickr

Filling with airline
8479455013_99a70f11f6_o.jpg
filling by George Farmer, on Flickr

Just after filling and filter fitted
8479456959_27a75293cb_o.jpg
full by George Farmer, on Flickr

You can see how the moss has attached in these photos...
8480546236_4d593f1b8c_o.jpg
rock wood 1 by George Farmer, on Flickr

8480549384_37c31338ee_o.jpg
wood moss 1 by George Farmer, on Flickr

8479455891_1800238fa7_o.jpg
wood moss 2 by George Farmer, on Flickr

8480546994_d4a73c233b_o.jpg
rock wood 2 by George Farmer, on Flickr

8479456715_085dbea5a7_o.jpg
left view by George Farmer, on Flickr

8480548360_ffc8868dd3_o.jpg
close left by George Farmer, on Flickr

8480550058_def0659ec3_o.jpg
ricc fiss 1 by George Farmer, on Flickr

8479459351_fcc3e5c1d2_o.jpg
riccardia 1 by George Farmer, on Flickr

8480550476_077be501b4_o.jpg
riccardia rock by George Farmer, on Flickr

Ludwigia pearling
8479458949_a9fd3dbea6_o.jpg
ludwigia by George Farmer, on Flickr

Glassware. Note the high CO2.
8479459811_045f29da1f_o.jpg
glassware by George Farmer, on Flickr

Full tank
8479459971_bb63982841_o.jpg
full tank by George Farmer, on Flickr

wow looks amaing mate really good :clap: bravo, you going to cycle then get some fish in there , any ideas what fish

Dean

Looks great George! It's a whole new scape now. This is going to be a real winner when that all gets going.

Any chance of a pic showing the height of the tile please?

Stunning!!! great photos, brilliant to see how the moss has attached and grown on the rock and wood - the whole layout has really come together.

Back