• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Halide 150W

Dorian

Hi could anyone tell me if one 150W MH would be enough for 160l planted tank 100x40x40.
Thanks Dorian

Enough? Its a huge overkill but if you are familiar with fertlization and CO2, go for it thou it might be hard to keep it stable anyway. Small mistake=catastrophe. I would choose 70w instead of 150w but actually I`d consider leds if it was me choosing lights now. I suppose you want grow some more light/CO2-demanding plants, don`t you? Otherwise muchmuch less light is safer (and less work-) option.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Anyone know where can I buy 70w MH?. I thought to go for LED lighting but it is very expensive :-\.
Any other light witch will be good enought for HC and can be used in open tank?
Before i used 4x30w t8 tubes in this tank and everything was alright but now i would like to try open tank as they look much better.

Any suggestions what light unit is the best option for the open tank?? Thanks Dorian

I have used 70w mh lights, they are great & very cheap although you might have to DIY it a bit!
Look for 70w mh flood lights on Ebay - about £40
The alternative Diy LEDs would probably cost about £100 if you used 6 x 9w GU10 bulbs & a DIY unit to hold them.

So you say that 70W halide would be enough for my tank ? will that allow me to grow HC without problems ????.
How about them led lights are they any good for carpeting plants???? as that would be the best option for me and
also i like to do some DIY :D
Thanks Dorian

When you add in extra running costs and bulb replacements over a 5 year period you might surprised how 'cheap' an LED unit suddenly seems compared to T5 or halide lights. Also IMO you won't need a real top of the range unit for a planted tank - aquarays and the like will do a good job as some of George's tanks lit by them have shown.

Back